Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Check your groundings

2K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Gavin 
#1 ·
I noticed some installs with faulty HU grounding, this is extremely bad when you use high power amplifiers, you don't want a 280V burst over your speaker.

The HU ground must be the same as the amplifier's ground, and to check if the HU is ok measure the resistance between RCA GND and the battery GND, there must be something like 3-20 ohms, depending on the brand.

#7 ·
what are some signs that its not good.

#10 ·
well,if you have any of the problems mentioned above,maybe it does lol!!:rofl:

#12 ·
lol actually is does/did.

old deck i had to ground RCAs(never changed factory ground yet) and it fixed issue, but new deck is doesnt work and i changed grounds, but i also have a huge noise even without amp hooked up, so its causing my 8k to act up too.

#15 ·
^^:rofl::rofl:^^somebody's full of piss and vinegar tonite besides me lol!Ridn,i had a deck way back in the day too that i had to ground the rca's on.

#17 ·
Now you got me wondering if my grounds are right! My HU ground is connected straight to a 12v battery that is ground connected to the 16v bank. Would this be the reason I can't get a clean sign way on my scope?

#21 ·
Iv always ran my power and ground at the same spot as my amps. and that gos for everything thing in my car. I redid alot of the wiring in my jeep.

#26 ·
well, I checked my grounds today and all seem good, still I have the problem with my scope. I'm using the velman HPS10 scope. was thinking the scope was too small? it works fine on my 4k and 5k amps but seems to have problems with my 22k amp. is it possible that is the problem?

What scope are you using and getting a clean wave?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.