Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Where to buy

556 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  mullet 
#1 ·
Okay so now I've seen the light and I'm wanting to try my hand at repairing/rebuilding a sub. I'm searching for sub parts locally, I'm hunting a strong motor and decent basket to start. Going budget friendly on these parts. Locally, I'm not sure if this has caught on so I may be able to find parts cheap. I'll start from there and build upon it with new parts. Maybe the 12 or 15" range to start then when I get the hang of this, who knows. Question is, when I'm ready for parts, where do I look?
Are there companies who supply these parts? I've seen one site, but there must be more.
Also, after seeing this site I wonder, are the subs that I've seen even built by the name that's selling them or are they mass produced and just stickered?
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I am pretty interested in this too. I have only seen each individual company selling recones. You might find a motor on this site locally. Also check out fixmyspeaker.com. This is team Psi's site for custom built subs. I dont have much information to offer on this subject so I will be checking back to learn on this thread.

#3 · (Edited)
Find sources of months of being on forums and pming.

This is a great and fun hobby. If you are serious about getting good at it, don't think like alot of other people who believe that you just need to master putting a sub together, anyone can do that! It is best to learn the whole balancing act that different parts will create.

When you first start: FORGET about stiff suspensions completely. Build a sub to handle 500-1k watts and use the necessary power making sure you also have the electrical and are not just having the gain high and think it is nice when you could be driving it wrong.

A starter site recource is PAP but don't get like 3 spiders on one sub unless you have like 2500-3k watts to test it with! One of there Nomex spiders is fine for about 1000watts or so.

#6 ·
Correct component selection info is exactly what I'm looking to learn!
I have two RE Audio SX18's that are going to be my first reconing project as I think they are decent subs, and I'm a huge fan of U.S.Amps. But i want to try a custom deal though.

#9 ·
It is tedious!!!

You know there are programs you can use to do it(NOT winisd type BS). They will help you predict the TSPs(small signal subwoofer parameters that are usually referenced to seeing how the subwoofer will act and give you an idea of what box dimensions to use).

Tsps will tell you what TYPE of sub you have along with other paramaters.

You can have an all out SPL subwoofer, an SQ subwoofer, or a hybrid either favoring more SPL or SQ. You have to choose though.

#12 ·
Well, OK, I want to take my blown Soundstream RSS12, and fix it.
I don't know what I need, I'll take pics of my deconstruction, and go from there.

I think I will start a new thread, or move it to the one I started.

Sorry for the threadjack!
But yeah, if there was a beginners guide to rebuilding woofers for the newbie-gaper (who knows a little about the basics) that would be helpful to many, many people, I would imagine. And drive sales to the parts houses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.