Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Amp gettin hot!!

613 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  audioarsonal 
#1 ·
I have a 4 channel amp that is 4 x 100 at 4 ohms, 4 x 200 at 2 ohms, and 400 x 2 bridged at 4ohms. I was running the amp at 4 x100 watts at 4 ohm, but i wanted to make my speakers louder, so i recently put in 2 8 ohm mids and have them bridged together to make them at 4 ohms taking 400 watts or 200 for each speaker. And for some reason my amp will get really hot after about an hour, when i was running the 4 speakers at 100 watts each, it would never get hot for a while. Is the efficiency so much lower being bridged that it heats up the amp this quick or is something else wrong thats making the amp real hot real quick.

#3 ·
Most 8 ohm speakers are not 8 ohm my o2s that are rated 8ohm are 5.7 so finall load of 2.85 ohms could cause that but generally class ab amps get hot

#10 · (Edited)
How do you get 400watts divide into the two paralleled 8 ohm? They can only be bridged on two of the four channels giving you 200x1@4 ohm. So 100 watts a piece.

How are they wired at the amp?

#11 ·
the amp is set up with 4 channels at 100 watts a piece at 4 ohms. The amp can have at max 800 watts if I bridged the amp. I have it set up at 2 8 ohm mids being bridged so i still have to more channels to put speakers too. Bridging 8 ohm mids drop them down to 4 ohm load on the amp only using 400 of the available 800 watts max that my amp can push.

#13 ·
If your only using 2 of the four channels you are only getting 200rms or 100 per speaker.
I would venture to say that you are clipping the signal. Trying to get more from the amp then it can produce. Clipping causes a spike in current draw and being AB it isn't efficient as stated so you are getting a lot of current transferred to heat.
Back the gain down to just below half and that should help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.