Car Audio Classifieds! banner

*Pic inside* Ripped roof, help please

1K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  AllenH427 
#1 · (Edited)
REPAIR PICTURES ON PAGE 3

Well, my two little BTL 12s did it again, they are pretty much dominating my car now.

How should I fix/prevent it from spreading further?
By the way, song used was Decaf's Red Chain.. proves that BTLs are bottom heavy.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd reinforce the roof, huge areas of unsupported vehicle are going to get the most thrashed (like where that is)

#9 ·
doug would use concrete for that kind of job. make sure you take the rear window out and reforce it also

#6 ·
not really. if you keep feeding it heavy bass it'll extend to the edge of you rroof. stop while you have something to work with. and get it done right. your not going to find a temp fix..

#7 ·
And again, I'd plan on reinforcing your roof/supporting it somehow so you wont have to worry in the future.

#8 ·
holy ****! I'm about to put something in my trunk and I have a sunroof too. Never thought about this happening

#13 ·
you need a strong grip to hold those to piece of metal together now. even with a weld your not going to have as strong as a hold on that crack/tear. but it'll prevent it from extending. a temp fix just to seal it would be some poxy. in some cases apoxy is stronger than a weld. acura nsx's were glued together with it, not welded.

#14 ·
actually if welded properly the weld is stronger than the rest of the metal, kinda like a proper glue joint.
i would sand it, jb weld and some primer over it until you can get to your dads shop and get it welded, then weld some steel brace in there to stop it from happening again.

#15 ·
actually if welded properly the weld is stronger than the rest of the metal, kinda like a proper glue joint.
i would sand it, jb weld and some primer over it until you can get to your dads shop and get it welded, then weld some steel brace in there to stop it from happening again.
this. correct, the weld will. my bad for inproper wording.
btw, whats up wisconsin guy.lol.

#17 ·
It appears that the integrity of your roof has been damaged you will have to weld and reinforce the roof there is a product called liquid metal that you can use as a filler and the supports for the roof will have to be added the moonroof has made your roof weak due to cheap factory reinforcement

#19 ·
Well, considering the car has 190k miles, no joke but I could possibly see another 100k and I don't really want to sell it. So I'll make my way to home depot tomorrow and buy some JB weld, Ill try to smooth it on the inside, then do a thin stripe on the outside. I'll use some dynamat over the inside just for shits and giggles. As far as getting some real welding done, I'll have to wait for Christmas. Thanks for the help guys, I'll give an update tomorrow. I leave for basic training in 12 days, I need some bass before I leave!

#20 ·
goto your local auto/body shop were you can buy paint and stuff like that. ask for body panel urethane. its actually stronger than a weld once cured. people use it to hold on new cab corners and other body panels. i would find a little piece of flat stock(steel plate) and glue it on the inside after sanding it down some. then take a 2x4 or sumthing and wedge it between the seat or floor and that plate to put pressure on it and let it sit overnight or as long as possible. its good stuff and will work very well. just make sure it gets reinforced some how so it dont do it again

#23 ·
2002 Camry... with a sunroof of course. I was shocked it actually happened, never thought my system was powerful enough to do it but the roof always did have about a 1.5 inch end to end flex. I'm off to get some JB Weld today, I'll use it from the inside. It stormed here last night and good thing I check the weather because I cover the tear in electrical tape.

#24 ·
when u do weld it drill a small hole at the ends of the crack then weld the holes and the crack to help stop it from spreading and reinforce it behind with some more sheet metal. once a crack starts and u weld it with out drilling holes because the weld is actually harder then the sheet metal it self it could crack again and use lots of dynamat around them areas also jus my opinion

#27 ·
Found the other corner had a crack on it, but it was the lip only thank heavens.. Either way, took your guys advice, did a temporary fix. The other tear had some rust on it, so it must've been there for a while. Take note rookies, sunroofs suck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.