Build my HT setup - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > The OT™ > General Home Audio/Video

General Home Audio/Video Discuss all aspects of home audio and video here

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:46 AM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9929
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Default Build my HT setup

I don't know squat about HT, but I'm probably gonna be picking up a nic(er) setup than the prefab ones I've had previously. I planned on piecing this one together like most people on here do, but like I said, I don't know squat about HT. I'm thinking about doing a MTM setup like RollerDJ's, so that should take care of my front speakers. I'm thinking 5.1, but the rear speakers don't need to be that great, just something so that you can hear stuff coming from behind you in video games or whatever. Anyway, budget will likely be around $2k and I'm trying to get a decent sized 1080p tv (32-45" but obviously bigger is better, without sacrificing quality), surround sound and a video game system of some sort (I need a dvd player, and they're mildly entertaining every now and again), which would preferably be a 360.

Clifs:

-HT n00b needs help

-$2k budget for TV (preferably 40+"), audio and a 360 (or other gaming system)

-Building setup from scratch (effectively)

Thanks in advance guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Concepts
Team Shok
Ohio Bass Society
Team XS Power
2010 120-129.9 Bassrace World Champion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Get a HTIAB.

Home Theater In A Box.

Mine does great and it was like $250-300.

The substage could do better, but that little 8 rocks in movies. Not so great for music though.

Front Stage: Rainbow SLC 265.25NG .. Amp: SAX-100.4
Sub: 2x RL-I 10s @33hz ................. Amp: SAZ-1000D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-...&skuId=9258625

That appears to be the new model of mine.

Get it. You wont be disappointed.

1. It gives you a pretty damn good receiver.
2. It gives you everything you need. You can replace stuff later on if you wish though.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 AM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9929
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

We already have something like that in our basement, except it's a pioneer. It's alright, but I want more. Pretty sure that one is a 600w setup as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't have all the input/output selections that would be ideal. I like the sound, it's just not loud enough... And that's with the sub literally under your ass as you watch a movie. Yes, it's mounted in the couch...

Team Concepts
Team Shok
Ohio Bass Society
Team XS Power
2010 120-129.9 Bassrace World Champion
Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

The one I linked to has plenty of inputs on it. I have way more inputs than I know what to do with on mine.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Plays With Fire

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10067
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

a HT in a box would also work. get one with a decent reciver so you can upgrade part by part and not have to drop a arm and a leg to go all out at once. usually the sub section suck on the HTIAB's. so you might look into one with a powered sub that can easly be replaced.

Quote:
What else are laptops good for?

It's a portable computer so you can post on the crapper...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I slam

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3772
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

best bump up the price range!!! My tv alone was $2200. I got tired of getting things then wanting better. Then I came to my senses and said **** it!!! Just get the best or something close to higher end products(i did not get the best but sure sounds like it). I found these at great prices... Paid more then 8g's lol tower, sub, center channel. blue ray player,receiver, ps3,xbox360,tv

Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Plays With Fire

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10067
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

There are other ways to get things cheap. I got my $2,200 tv for only 800. Works great and has a amazing picture. Got it from a good tv repair place. Buying used is a good way of saving money. Then there is allways the diy way. PE always has sales going.

Quote:
What else are laptops good for?

It's a portable computer so you can post on the crapper...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3026
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

i have under 1400 into my whole ht and i'm satisfied with it. i'd just like to add a sub since the towers i have are rolling off around 30hz

all in what your looking for... 2000$ is completely reasonable

my setup consists of:
vizio sv470 (same as their 470xvt model)
onkyo htr-c160
a pair of fischer single 10" towers i got at a garage sale for 30$
center and surrounds from a 50$ htib

as far as suggestions on what i would do for yours.. the tv and receiver i ran +

klipsch f1's which you can bi-wire to that receiver

klipsch c1 center

not sure if your interested in building your own sub. I'll probably be running a dayton plate amp to a crunch gpv15(fs of 19hz ftw)

Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
Get a HTIAB.

Home Theater In A Box.

Mine does great and it was like $250-300.

The substage could do better, but that little 8 rocks in movies. Not so great for music though.
DO NOT get a HTIAB. PLEASE. That is literally the worst way to spend your money, Unless you want overpay for your sound. Its literally that simpe. All of those small ass tiny speakers, they SUCK compared to a nice set of front floorstanding speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-...&skuId=9258625

That appears to be the new model of mine.

Get it. You wont be disappointed.

1. It gives you a pretty damn good receiver.
2. It gives you everything you need. You can replace stuff later on if you wish though.
Get that if you want to waste your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDJ View Post
a HT in a box would also work. get one with a decent reciver so you can upgrade part by part and not have to drop a arm and a leg to go all out at once. usually the sub section suck on the HTIAB's. so you might look into one with a powered sub that can easly be replaced.
Everything sucks in the HTIAB. Not just the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by money_inc View Post
best bump up the price range!!! My tv alone was $2200. I got tired of getting things then wanting better. Then I came to my senses and said **** it!!! Just get the best or something close to higher end products(i did not get the best but sure sounds like it). I found these at great prices... Paid more then 8g's lol tower, sub, center channel. blue ray player,receiver, ps3,xbox360,tv

Now this is some really really nice equipment, but it is also way overpriced. If I see correctly that is Martin logan stuff. I used to sell that brand...nice stuff, but really only for people who have LOOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDJ View Post
There are other ways to get things cheap. I got my $2,200 tv for only 800. Works great and has a amazing picture. Got it from a good tv repair place. Buying used is a good way of saving money. Then there is allways the diy way. PE always has sales going.
If you bought your TV for 800, its not worth 2,200. It just doesnt work like that.
-------------------------------------------------------

I wasnt going to reply to this thread at first but then I said to myself I could really give this guy a hand in purchasing some pretty good equipment. First things first...you have a budget of 2k. That is a pretty tough budget for EVERYTHING, however it can, and will work if you choose the right equipment.

1. Do not buy any HTIAB's They all suck. All of them. THere is a reason why they are cheap, and small speakers suck. If you want small speakers, expect small sound. Unless you go with Bose. They are expensive though so that is not really an option.

2. Each component in your system should be pieced together one by one. Some companies make good receivers, and terrible sound. For instance. Yamaha makes outstanding receivers, but all of their speakers suck. Sony makes great TVs but their speakers suck too. Panasonic Makes good TVs along with Samsung, but ALL their speakers SUCK. EVERYTHING. Especially for the price.

3. Understand what you are buying, and why you are buying it. Dont go cheap on cables, Also dont overpay for cables. DO NOT buy anything monster. Way overpriced. Bluejeanscable.com. Good prices, fast shipping, top notch quality. A chain is only as good as its weakest link. Dont go cheap on one cable and spend a decent amount of money on the next.

4. Make sure your connecting your equipment the correct way. No sense in buying all this nice stuff and not setting it up properly. Speaker placement, and SUB PLACEMENT is IMPORTANT. It takes literally 5 mins to find a good location in your room for a sub. DO NOT JUST PUT IT IN THE DAMN CORNER. That is the dumbest thing to do as with all of the bass bouncing off the walls, the location in which you sit.. you might not hear hearly 25% of the output of the sub unless it is in a good location. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

5. I am done for now. I am not going to suggest you any equipment to buy unless you really want help. I just built a friends system for him and it was a really nice budget system. His budget was $3500 though. Doesnt help that the tv he wanted was $1700 though. I set him up with really really nice equipment that blew him away.

PM me if you want help, otherwise, good luck.

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement