My 1992 camaro refresh/rebuild - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Member Rides & System Pictures

Member Rides & System Pictures Post pictures and descriptions of your system(s) and vehicle(s)

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Car audio classifieds, stereo sales, subwoofer amps mids classified caraudio, BANNED!!

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default My 1992 camaro refresh/rebuild

Hey guys, hope this is the right section for this!
I traded my Acura rl straight up for this car in December. I've been working on it as time/money allows. When I bought the car, it was......rough. Body was fairly straight, but the suspension was dangerously bad, the stock 305 had been swapped for a 350, but still had some issues, paint was DESTROYED, interior was shot, gauges were reading incorrectly and tires were awful... What a gem, right? On the plus side, the car is an original Oklahoma car, with only 2 minor sections of surface rust in the wheel wells, the 350 in it is strong, healthy, it's a factory 5 speed, has a 9 bolt rear end, with the rarer 4 wheel disc brakes, and it's an anniversary car (25th anniv). Basically, a good base for a fun toy.
Here's the car as I first saw it in the cl ad

So, I brought it home, and drove it for a few days, to get a baseline, and to determine what needed to most attention first.
Heres a rare shot of a camaro, in its natural habitat.. At a gas station.. Next to a trailer park. Seriously, this thing gets like 8 miles per gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Car audio classifieds, stereo sales, subwoofer amps mids classified caraudio, BANNED!!

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

Now that I knew where to start (the suspension), I started ordering parts. I ordered: kyb gr2 struts, lotek lowering springs, moog ball joints, tie rod ends, center link, idler arm, timken bearing and races, poly bushings, and new rear control arms. At the same time I ordered new hood and hatch struts, and a new map sensor (to try and fix an idle problem.. More on that later.)

Then my buddy and I got to work (I'll be honest.. More him than me, haha)

Got all those parts changed, and did brakes while we were there (using inexpensive Reilly's stuff till I order my wilwood stuff).
Here's a shot of it back together, sitting on the new lowering springs..

If you're saying to yourself "it doesn't LOOK much lower"... You're right. It's not. The difference is-before it was sitting low thanks to worn out shocks and springs.. Now it's sitting at the same height, BUT it's riding and driving much firmer and sharper.. A big win, IMO!
After that I parked it for a few weeks, drove it occasionally, and did some more research.. Come to find out I need to order lower control arm relocation brackets, adjustable pan hard bar, and while I'm doing that, I'm going to order a steering brace (nicknamed a wonder bar, in the third gen community). Crap. Poor planning, but that's ok, not going to stress over it. Also needs aligned, but holding off, for a few reasons, discussed later..
Old 05-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

Now that the suspension was in place (mostly), I took the car to my mechanic to try and figure out why the idle would surge constantly, and the car would randomly die when depressing the clutch. (That's why I bought the map sensor above.. When you would unhook the oem map, it would idle, although it idled high). He did some trouble shooting, cleaned my injectors, verified no vacuum leaks, etc. no dice. Same issue. he also found out that EVERY sensor on the car was new. Map, maf, tps, idle air control, etc. all new... I'm beginning to see why the old owner walked away. He also told me to watch my coolant level and gauge.. As he suspected a slightly warped head.. Great. Frustrated, I brought it home where it sat for about a month, while I did odd side jobs (I do auto upholstery on the side) and saved money up. After I had regained some desire to work on it, I called another shop, with more sophisticated equipment, in an effort to diagnose it. They had it for several days, and ran test after test after test. They finally had it down to where it was looking like it was maybe the computer (but they couldn't say 100%. They didn't charge me though, so that's cool.). Armed with that thought I went home and consulted thirdgen.org. After starting a thread, I was pointed to a VERY helpful thread. Come to find out, the computer, injectors, and prom are different from a 305 to a 350. Not changing those lead to.....surging idle, random dying, etc. BINGO. Thank you internets. I drove it around after that, mainly to body shops to get estimates. Man, is that field ever varied. I got estimates from 1000 (maaco) all the way to 7500 (and that shop couldn't even match the color.. They just pulled a ring and said "pick one". No thanks. One day I was talking with a coworker I didn't know to well, and found out he did bodywork. My interest was piqued. He looked at it, and shot me a price that I loved, provided I did the tear down and reassembly. No problem. Here it is after I had it tore down (note.. This isn't a rotisserie restoration, and I am on a budget, as I'm sure you understand. The car is getting a good paint job, but not concours quality. Please understand.)

Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

He came and picked it up, and started. I was told 2 weeks.. It's been a month. Was I irritated? Yes... Until he sent me pics of the car. It's better than I could have dreamed. This guy went above and beyond, and if anyone in the okc area needs work done, I'm HAPPY to provide his info. Here's some progress pics.

Those were the 2 surface rust areas, they were ground down, rust convertered, and smoothed.

Finally, a few weeks later, it was in color again!

Here's the color. Called Hawaiian orchid, or purple haze. It was a 1992 year only color for the camaros. I like it, and it's stock, so it's the logical choice.
The "test piece".. A ti basket.

I like.
Here it is on the car, and wet.

I don't like these pics, as they make it look brown, it's not at all.. Oh well, I have daylight pics that show the color better. It's gorgeous, IMO. Now, it's worth noting that this was to be a single stage paint job. However, he called me one night and said "well, you got a free upgrade. I got some clear in a trade, and I know you're planning on keeping the car, so I cleared it for you".. SCORE. thanks Randy (his name)! Now that it was straightened, primered, sealed, painted, cleared, and dry, he wheeled it out in the sun for better pics for me (and for it to cure so it could be wet sanded and polished)
Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

Here are the outside pics..

This is before cutting, buffing, and polishing. A few days later, he started that.. This is the teaser he sent me..

No, that's not some shitty selfie, it's his reflection in the paint.. Not bad for a budget job, eh?
That's where it sits ATM, I'm supposed to go get it Friday (tomorrow). I've not been resting idly while this goes down though. I've been ordering some parts.. Here's what's here so far...

Gotta have some fun, right?

18 x 9 c6 replica wheels, gunmetal and machined

New 4x6 h1 conversion lights

Smoked side and park light lenses
Not pictured: new door handles and window sweeps.
I've also restored my tail lights, and blasted and repainted my headlight bezels

Well, that's where I stand at the moment lots more coming as time and cash allows (I'm paying cash for everything, no credit cards, loans, etc, so it takes time)
Tomorrow I'm ordering a prom and injectors, so that's a start.

Lmk what you guys think!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss362
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

i like the way you decided to go on the exterior of the camaro. i really dont like those 26" rims on them, hell i hate that especially on muscle cars! props on the clean paint job!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Never Satisfied

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2103
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Looks good, I need another project car now
Old 05-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub woofin View Post
i like the way you decided to go e exterior of the camaro. i really dont like those 26" rims on them, hell i hate that especially on muscle cars! props on the clean paint job!
I dont either, thanks!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

i generally don't like making "im gonna buy" lists (because so much is subject to change), but I will say, on my list currently is:
Tuff Dawg 383 tbi compatible crate engine (I like the price, and I love that it works with my factory computer) good for about 395hp, 410 ft lb tq.. not a race car, no, but im not all that into speed.
Wilwood brakes front and rear (not the top line stuff, kinda middle the road stuff.. see above)
Interior.. I do upholstery, so ill handle that myself. Switching to black, with black seats with purple daytona inserts (I have the black leather, suede for the headliner and doors, etc, ill try and get pics of that stuff tonight).
If you dont know what the daytona seats look like ill post this rendering..
Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

Also ordering subframe connectors.

Ill go into stereo plans this evening, after I get some pics taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement