First real audio build/install - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs > Miscellaneous Build Logs

Miscellaneous Build Logs Post non-car audio related builds here. Please provide details, pictures and get feedback of your projects, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default First real audio build/install

Well aside from having a single 12 in a box sitting on my bench seat, this will be my first real build/install. I am trying to keep it somewhat on a budget, but as you can see, I didnt skimp too much yet.

The Donor - 2002 Dodge Ram Quadcab

The Heart - REsx15s x2, (old ones) RF t152 x8, Crescendo 3kwp, Crescendo 1000c4

I am still undecided about what type of box I will be building. Id probably prefer a window line, but if a wall is going to be louder, than wall it is. Blow throughs need not apply =) But any other advice, or input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss775
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

I'm definitely loving your amp and sub selection. Your speaker selection... not so much. BTW, is that a child seat I see? You're planning to run a couple of 15's with a toddler on board?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2132
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

well, you might not need a full wall back there to get the airspace needed, honestly I can do 2 8 cubes inside my truck and its a dakota and only an ext cab, not full size like this.

if you wall that, i'd go with more moofers....

i've seen 6 15's inside a truck like that, just depends on what you really want out of it, a wall for 2 15's is a little over kill in my opinion, but I love me a wall!

worried about the back seat? if not, pick up 2 more sx's and wire that amp at 1 ohm, get 3k rms so about 750 rms to each sub,
and rock that thing hard,

if you ever go to a comp, rewire it down to .25 ohms and burp it and roll away happy, to have a musical clean system that puts out amazing power,

nice amp/sub combo btw. what were you planning on wiring this at? 2 ohms .5 ohms?

because those are your simple choices here. or even 8 ohms....

but 2k rms on those subs will be a little hairy, be careful if you do wire it at .5 ohms.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTedster View Post
I'm definitely loving your amp and sub selection. Your speaker selection... not so much. BTW, is that a child seat I see? You're planning to run a couple of 15's with a toddler on board?
Well I got a hell of a deal on the RFs (thanks assman). So for now, im going to stick them in, 2 per door.

And yes that is a toddler seat, and hes actually the reason I am starting this build. The single 12 I had on the bench seat, he decided to be handy manny and put his plastic hammer right through the cone (the punch p2 took a HELLA beating from his cars/trains as well). We dont drive the truck much anymore, its mainly wifeys new honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highs On Bass View Post
well, you might not need a full wall back there to get the airspace needed, honestly I can do 2 8 cubes inside my truck and its a dakota and only an ext cab, not full size like this.

if you wall that, i'd go with more moofers....

i've seen 6 15's inside a truck like that, just depends on what you really want out of it, a wall for 2 15's is a little over kill in my opinion, but I love me a wall!

worried about the back seat? if not, pick up 2 more sx's and wire that amp at 1 ohm, get 3k rms so about 750 rms to each sub,
and rock that thing hard,

if you ever go to a comp, rewire it down to .25 ohms and burp it and roll away happy, to have a musical clean system that puts out amazing power,

nice amp/sub combo btw. what were you planning on wiring this at? 2 ohms .5 ohms?

because those are your simple choices here. or even 8 ohms....

but 2k rms on those subs will be a little hairy, be careful if you do wire it at .5 ohms.
And this is what I thought as well. Im not going to purchase anymore subs for the time being. And I did plan on wiring them down to .5 and pray. Now if there was a way for me to have this box lower than windowline, and be able to just set the bench on top of the box (yes I will lose headroom), then that would be in my best interest.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2132

well you might be able to get the bench seat on top of the box, but thats going to be quite high. like the back of the seat will sit mid window line. and be just as problimatic as the wall.

as for the wiring at .5 ohms. where and what electrical will you be running? because 4k rms daily is alot of power to put onto subs that are designed to run 1000 per sub daily.... so 2krms total.

I would have someone with an Oscope set the gains etc because the moment you clip that amp at .5 ohms those subs will be toast!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highs On Bass View Post
well you might be able to get the bench seat on top of the box, but thats going to be quite high. like the back of the seat will sit mid window line. and be just as problimatic as the wall.

as for the wiring at .5 ohms. where and what electrical will you be running? because 4k rms daily is alot of power to put onto subs that are designed to run 1000 per sub daily.... so 2krms total.

I would have someone with an Oscope set the gains etc because the moment you clip that amp at .5 ohms those subs will be toast!
Yes getting everything tuned properly is my biggest concern, as I do not own an oscope, or any other measuring equipment. Right now my subs are measuring over 2 ohms ( both measured exactly 2.6 ) so I am hoping with box rise, and such, the load should be a little greater than .5 . For electrical just doing the big 3, and I was looking into one of mechmans 14v d1400s. This isnt going to be a competition build, I just like to bang it out once in a while. Maybe a hairtrick or two?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2132

well, I'll say this, this isn't a cheap amp, and it does rated power,

the system doesn't have to be a competition build or not, but when running 4000 watts rms 8000 watts peak, your likely to see alot of amperage draw. You will need at least 2 of the d1400's from xs power, and a h/o alt. along with big three.

with this much power, it doesn't really matter what use you have for it, the moment it starts to pull power, it going to really pull down your electrical.

I have the same alt you have in your truck, and I have a missing link audio module. I have the factory battery, plus 2 115AH 1000 CCA and 180 reserve batts in back, with big 3 done and 0 awg thru out. even with all that, a 3000 watt amp pulled my setup down.

starting voltage around 14.7 dropped to 13.7.

and I only had 1500 rms. you will have more than dbl that. so.

to save you from wasting alot of money, don't buy that amp and put it in there at .5 ohms. if you are going to use it. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY WIRE IT AT 2 ohms!!!!

or you will fry that amp. because your very capable of dropping below 10 volts.

and believe me, your truck doesn't like that. now, also I would be careful who's alt you run, because the truck is externally regulated by your pcm board

and if you put an internally regulated alt, in there, you will FRY your electrical pcm board!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Thats some good info there. Are those 14 volt batteries going to work well with the pcm board, or do you think im going to have issues going that route?

Have any pics of your box/build? I wouldnt mind taking a peek at it and maybe "borrowing" some more ideas. I do not plan on rigging this together within the week. I spent some money here so far and want it done right the first time.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2132

the 14 volt batteries will be fine, I ran my truck with the missing link audio module at 15.1 volts and it didn't bother it.

if you are not going to replace your alt, then you must have a rather large battery bank. for 3k to 4k rms. I'd suggest at a minimum of 3 of the d1400's. and thats even pushing it. I would say 4 on a good side,

as far as the box, i did a wall. and I will post pics in about 45 min after I go get some food

but it came out nicely for 6 12's
Old 06-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm F*CKIN Sexy!

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2132

ok so the build was not a perma box, just a toss in wall, wasn't ever finished, and I took it out about 2 days after this shot, sorry not too many great pics,

but here is 6 12's in my dakota,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement