77 GMC Crewcab 1 ton Dually - stock floor body drop - bagged - pic heavy - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs > Miscellaneous Build Logs

Miscellaneous Build Logs Post non-car audio related builds here. Please provide details, pictures and get feedback of your projects, from beginning to end.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 AM
GOT AMPS ?

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss381
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Default 77 GMC Crewcab 1 ton Dually - stock floor body drop - bagged - pic heavy

i have my dually project post over on duallyscene.com. so i thought, why not post it over here as well. i have lots of pics..(keep in mind. i am doing all this work by myself pretty much) ..i am by no means finished with it yet. but im getting there.. hope you guys like it.

This is my pride and joy. a modified stock floor/ body dropped (to the rockers) 1977 GMC crewcab 3+3 camper special 1 ton dually.
smallbock 350 /350 turbo trans. 4.10 gear.(soon to be 6.5 diesel/700r4 3.54 gear
the truck is set up to lay frame on some 22 inch semi wheels. (i cant afford them) so i will be using 16 inch silverado hubcaps... unk:

this is what i spend all my extra money on. im starting to think i am married to it. all it does is take my money, take my money, damit! and takes my money again...

it started out looking like this

ive got a cab and chassis / motorhome rear end. i bought it for 150.00 it has less than 50,000 miles on it... cheap!

got the top bag mounts on ebay the other day for 5.00 plus 13.00 shipping...cheap!

this is my heater/ac blower that mounts up under the dash..i can now get rid of the one on the firewall..i dont know who makes it,,but i got it for 20 bucks at pull a part . out of a limo...lol...cheap!

taking it apart

the steel to do the frame modifications and my 2 link bars

the 6.5 diesel ..i hope to someday get around 20mpg

I decided i was going to body drop my truck by welding in some 2x4 .25inch steel tube on the top of the inside frame rails. then i cut the 4 inches that was left hanging down past the 2x4. (the stock frame is 8 inches tall) by doing it this way, i kept all of my stock body mounts right were they are mounted. and i don't have to cut my beds floor out to body drop it...

The bad part about doing to the body drop this way is that the frame has to be z'ed up 4 3/4 inches to get the lower control arms to not be lower than the bottom of the new frame.(you dont want to drag them on the ground= a very scary drive if they break off)... the c-notch is going to be very massive/tall as well.
i cut the 4 inches off the bottom of the frame and the z was gusseted/reinforced with 3/16th plate on the inside and out.

i welded some 2 inch x.25 inch thick steel plate to the bottom of the frame for a little insurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ampjunkielikeme; 07-29-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ampjunkielikeme For This Useful Post:
iamsonic (07-29-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 AM
GOT AMPS ?

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss381

This is after i finished the z.

here is where i had to move the front frame horns down 4 3/4 inches and gusseted them with 4 .25 inch thick spiderweb gussets and 2 inchx .25 inch flatbar...
i pressure washed the frame and used a rust dissolver. it dried. i sprayed it with a self etching primer. topcoated it with a semigloss black.

i stuck the motor.trans in to mock up where everything needs to be. trans mount,carrier bearing..etc put the cab back on so i could measure how much i needed to cut out of the firewall/transmission hump.
The trans hump has to be raised 4 inches all the way back to the rear of the cab.

I cut the holes out for the 2 inch deep cups for the lower control arms and painted my steering components. bought red poly bushing for the whole truck...yay!

The lowers are all welded up. sanded them down. gave them a coat of self etching primer. topcoated them with a dark gunmetal paint. they turned out pretty good.

night pics of the lowers installed with the slam specialties re7 bags.

since the steering shaft does not line up anymore with the steering box. i had to buy 3 universal joints to bridge the gap. they cost alot of money to be so small. but i need them if i ever want to be able to steer the truck again...

This is just about were it has been setting since it got cold and started snowing all the time...lol

measure it up for the c-notch the other day. might make it not as wide.. not to sure just yet..

my silverado hubcaps. they are in very good shape..

my pit bull " stretch "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ampjunkielikeme For This Useful Post:
iamsonic (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1463
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

looks like its gonna be nice and clean once done. Good Job bro
REFS-DAPPA5, BRIAN OWENS, --Navi-- , X1le, Basscort2009, vitveet, thumpper, Lousiana_CRX, woofercooker, tez4life, 913 customs, davidrforbus, bluieorbluee, lil98cabrio, Dropped_TB, orangecounty1, dbeez, Seifert, JB Livewire, rmaravetz, 72impala

Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM
GOT AMPS ?

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss381

i got a few things done...

i pulled the cab off and put the engine/trans back in for like the 10th time....
threw the front clip back on just to get it out of the way..

im going to finish welding up the bottom of the floorboard today. i may weld up some of the holes in the firewall to if i have daylight left.

this is the 3.42 gear set for the dana70hd i picked up on ebay.....someday i will get over 50 miles an hour...

my c-notch is going to be very tall. z'ing the frame 4 3/4 inches up, and cutting 4 inches off the bottom of the frame to do the body drop has caused this...

this was the 1st cardboard mockup. the final design will not be as wide. and i will add some angle to the front tube . the rear tube will stay where it is at in the pic. im going to try to make it as small as i can .
im using some beefy 5x3 .25inch tube to build it.

the notch is going to be a monster.! 19 inches tall :crazy:

i got my end links welded up on my 2x3 .25inch tube . i still need to clean them up and spray a coat of paint on them.

the links were bought from sucidedoors.com . i got 4 of them. 2 for the link bars. 2 for the panhard bar...

i am using 2 paddle valves to get air to the bags for now. one for the front. one for the back..( i will end up buying another to separate the bags from each other ) this is a very cheap way to control air without having expensive electric valves... do they work? i have no idea. we will see..lol

brand new 4 inch U-bolts. 3 inch wide spring perches to attach the 2x3 link bars to the rear end...

a pic of my re7 front bags, 2500#rear bags, rear airbag mounts(top/bottom), panhard bar end links. and my 1/2 stainless steel leader hose for my edc...

these are my industrial exhaust mounts....lol
i also bought 2 10 ft sections of 3 inch exhaust tubing.

DAMIT this truck is taking all my money!i shaved the firewall today..
ive got a few small screw holes to fill. but the major holes are shaved..
a good coat of filler and it will be smoothed out...

this is my trusty harbor freight 220v mig welder. its a cheapo, but it has got the job done so far without any problems. i think i paid 200 bucks for it refurbished..
i don't have a bottle. i'm using flux core wire. it seems to work very well for sheet metal..

Last edited by ampjunkielikeme; 07-29-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1463
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

looks nice and clean. Looking forward to the rest of the build on it
REFS-DAPPA5, BRIAN OWENS, --Navi-- , X1le, Basscort2009, vitveet, thumpper, Lousiana_CRX, woofercooker, tez4life, 913 customs, davidrforbus, bluieorbluee, lil98cabrio, Dropped_TB, orangecounty1, dbeez, Seifert, JB Livewire, rmaravetz, 72impala
Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1398
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

That's a great looking build. Can't wait to see the finished product. How much time do you have in it?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 AM
GOT AMPS ?

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss381

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodyearJason View Post
That's a great looking build. Can't wait to see the finished product. How much time do you have in it?
thanks guys... i have about 2 years in it so far...but i have had the truck for about 8 or 9 years..

the firewall is smoothed out and ready for a coat of bedliner... unk:

i finally got off my butt and did some work... it was hotter than all getout today..i sweated out 5 gallons of sweet tee all over the ground. my fan did help out some..

i drug the lincoln arc welder out .. woot!..

100% better than the cardbord one i made.. friends don't let friends do massive swingset c-notches..(thanks whatayaknow)

medium monster notches !

mocking it up to see where i need to cut the top of the frame..

i cut slots out of the top of the frame ..

the passenger c-notch is fitting nice.

the driver c-notch is almost ready for the welder . measure, measure, measure...oh, and check out my long ass link bar..lol the hangers are going to be moved forward a little, and probably turn them upside down .

to dark to take pics, but i got both notches almost welded up.. i will cut the center frame pieces out tomorrow .....
the inside of the c-notch will need some fishmouths (or some kind of cool looking gussets over the welds) the outside of the notch will have the bag mount plates with gussets on each side ..(more than likely spiderwebs..lol)

ive got to figure out where to get me some flat leaf spring mounting plates for cheap and fast...i thought the stockers would work, but they don't... go figure.. might just buy some 3/8 inch plate and make my own..

i went out today and cut the center sections out from the middle of the c-notches..
im about 95% done with welding them. fixing to get those leaf hangers moved forward in a few......

Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM
GOT AMPS ?

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss381

this is where i am at as of today... im going to do a 3 link type rear suspension .(2 link with a panhard bar)
i cant wait to get this thing rolling under its own power again....

Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3842
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

def is alot of time and money spent on it. im assuming your doing all the work yourself? whats the plans for the interior?
saz 100.4
4 sets of IA components
XS D6500 under hood XP3000 in back
Mechman 260a Alt
Custom door panels
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM
GOT AMPS ?

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss381

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylork92 View Post
def is alot of time and money spent on it. im assuming your doing all the work yourself? whats the plans for the interior?

yes, i have tons of hours building the truck so far. i am doing the work by myself. i cant afford $5000.00 to pay somebody to do a body drop and bag. lol

the inside will be simple. 2 buckets seats up front, and 2 buckets in the back... i really want a blowthrough. 4th order with 6 sa-8's on a crunch gp3000d...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement