Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Chasing my first high...in sq that is

3K views 68 replies 10 participants last post by  jaysito 
#1 ·
I remember like it was yesterday. I must of been 12 yr old at a New year event at the usual family member's house everyone would flock to. I had an older cousin that in those days was bringing in big cash from south of the border and had a fleet of cars. This day he brought his trans am and his younger brother and I decided to take it for a spin. He starts the car and the roar of the engine ignites as he puts it in gear it purrs with this throaty sound ,I proceed to crank up the volume . Little did I know he had an aftermarket set up and all of the sudden like a choir of angels with sun rays bursting around ....this system lit up sonically with tight bass that you felt in chest and clear vocals and instruments at a volume I couldn't comprehend with no distortion. Grant it, I was 12 and did not have anything to compare it to but the awful factory systems in the old cash cars my father could afford but, to me it sounded like gold. Since then I've always dreamed of having my own loud sound quality setup . I don't have anything fancy that I could justify throwing a few grand into but, I think I have a direction I want to go in and hope I can find some great deals here and maybe advice from the more experienced guys here.
My goal is to have front seats to a well engineered concert. Not looking for distance testing nor competing just a superb soundstage with awesome dynamics and try and keep my factory alt in the process.
What I am working with. 2006 std cab Sierra
Alpine 9887
Active 2 way from hu
( love to get the imprint for this)
Image dynamics ctx6.5cs
2 10" JL w1 individual sealed boxes
0 gauge wire w dist. Block at amps
Massive 2k cap
Eclipse ea4100 on mids and tweets
Rf 800.1bd on subs
Doors are sealed and deadened in and out
I deadened the rear cab panel behind the seats as well.

I recently installed installed the ID ctx and blew the tweets in a few days of tweaking . I'm still a lil disappointed cause I had them crossed above 4k w 12db slope . It never distorted nor failed whilst playing . They just didn't wake up the next day. Hope to be that lucky when I go. Lol
Anyway, I'm wanting to trade up my 4 channel to something in the 125 watts rms per channel.
And open to suggestions in regard to my front stage.
Newbie Signing in from Houston Texas.
Jesse

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome not many sq guys on here other than me.
Don't be afraid to experiment. I change mine a lot.
currently:
hybrid clarus front stage on a brax 2000
8w7 in an 8th order on a kicker 400.1 until I get new amps.
biggest thing is getting it all in and tuned properly.

#3 ·
#15 ·
what about me!!!

current setup is
4 x18's on a vvme amp with alt whine!!

JK

Welcome man

there may not be alot of "sq" guys here but there is plenty of knowlendgable people that are more than willing to help.
there is lots of info and plenty of great gear that will get you where you want to be :thumbsup:

Reactions: jaysito
#22 ·
Lol. Thanks man.
Hey , my first car had 2 15's and the alternator whine was drowned out by the wind due to no a/c....the worst part was that it burned about 3/4 of a qt of oil a week so sitting in the drive thru would make ppl behind me very unhappy. Lol

#62 · (Edited)
For 30 dollar mids I love them. At 50 I still like them. At 100 I'm liking them less and at 200 meh.

For $30 a mid they really can't be beaten. They do exactly what I need them to and more. However I haven't been able to install correctly yet. My doors are not sealed yet. Wife said for my bday I can get a bunch of deadener to finish them up. They are lacking a bit in low end but I'm thinking sealed doors will help. They sounded like mini subs in old install. I also have a sub in a stealth box in the console so that helps make up for what they lack.

Also that mac amp is no joke. Keep in mind that while the amp is rated at 50x2 it is also at .005 thd. Or is it just .05? Whereas a lot of new amps can be at .1 or even 1%. If we are doing apples to apples in terms of thd that mac will do a lot more.

A buddy of mine is using an older us amps 4300x on his front stage and it's rated at 90x4. He has some 8 ohm Morel tweeters so he has roughly 45 watts on tap and it has all the volume you could ask for. his mids are focal as well.

Reactions: jaysito
#64 ·
Which brax? The x2000 something? I love me some brax. I would def not kick one out of bed for eating crackers either

#66 ·
Hey Brian,
My doors had huge holes that I used plastic corrigated panels (exactly what ppl use for political advertising signs like the kind my neighbor had . Wink wink. ) to cover those gaps then rolled the deadening material over it and worked like a charm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.