What do People Seriously Expect? (Used Car Buying) - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > The OT™ > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Sit back, relax and chat with other members about any and everything. Keep it PG-13!

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1419
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default What do People Seriously Expect? (Used Car Buying)

Ok this post may be a little long so bear with me. I'm trying to sell my old car and today someone came and looked at it and I'm not sure if I'm wrong, right or too stubborn. So a little background, I'm selling my car because I bought a truck at the end of winter and no longer need it. My price is 3000 firm which is between fair and good on kbb. I haven't drove the car since winter and I have only drove 4 days to a week of every month for the last year. This is what my ad says.

Listing my 2004 Grand Prix for sale with 3.8 liter V6, I've had the car since around 80K miles but have purchased a new vehicle so I will no longer be needing this. The car has been good to me and has many newer parts, it currently has 114889 miles have always ran synthetic oil. The car is not without blemishes but for it's age I would say it's in good condition. The car has a leather interior, power drivers seat, power sliding moon roof, heads up display, and heated seats. There are some rust spots around the wheel wells, and the car could benefit from a good detailing. The car has a Python Remote Start, Clarion CZ-702 head unit, Crescendo PWX 6.5's and Precision Power Pro audio tweeters in each of the front doors the trunk and front doors have also been sound deadened. As far as parts go I will list them from oldest to newest.
New CV Axles & Transmission Rebuild around 95K Miles (trying to have my father find the receipts)
New Starter at 105K Miles
4 New Monroe Struts & Springs, Rebuilt Rack & Pinion, Front Wheel Bearings November 2015
Rear Wheel Bearings, Thermostat, 02 Sensor & Coolant Flush March 2016
The coolant elbows, upper and lower intake gaskets have been replace but I cannot remember when.
The car is not without its faults, it does leak a small amount of oil, CEL is currently on and the windshield washer does not work (which I assume is a small problem). I feel that this would make someone a very reliable daily driver or a good first car and not require any maintenance for a long time to come. Price is firm, I am not interested in any trades.

Ok anyways the guy shows up looks the car over the usual, tries out the AC which wasn't functioning properly blowing warm air, the exhaust was also leaking rust had ate a hole in one of the mufflers. I live in Michigan so rust is a big thing here. I didn't know these things had I known I would have put them in the add I'm not trying to get one over on anyone I just want to sell the car. Guy asks if I'm still firm on my price even after finding these things, I said yes he says he's not interested leaves in a fashion that I didn't find very polite and kind of pissed me off to be honest.

I just want to know what people expect honestly? I could buy an exhaust for roughly $300, a windshield washer pump for $12 and probably fix the AC if I had time. It's a 12 year old car, with low miles and I feel my add was honest and price fair. I have more in parts and labor than I'm asking for the car, I understand maintenance is a part of that cost of owning a car. I just feel like the guy wanted a perfect car for a steal of a deal, I'd say he wasn't very mechanically inclined and didn't do his research as he didn't mention kbb at all. Am I in the wrong here or is it just another person wanting something for nothing? What do you guys think?

Daily (Rebuild Pending)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss152
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Well since you have asked for opinions on this....after finding the other issues with the car (a/c,exhaust,etc.)..the potential buyer asked if you were standing firm, you said yes, he walked away from ( in his thoughts) "wonder what else they are trying to hide..?" ...situation...

imho from the outside looking in....

and to add about them wanting something for nothing...it's true...especially if listed on craigslist....where all the other vehicles of show up for half the price, since those are the ones bought from an auction and/or salvage titles..thus driving down the asking price of a vehicle with a validated history vehicle such as yours...
JBL GTO804 / Kicker SX900.2
Team Fi 18 Taramps HD6500

Last edited by undone1; 07-21-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by undone1 View Post
Well since you have asked for opinions on this....after finding the other issues with the car (a/c,exhaust,etc.)..the potential buyer asked if you were standing firm, you said yes, he walked away from ( in his thoughts) "wonder what else they are trying to hide..?" ...situation...

imho from the outside looking in....

and to add about them wanting something for nothing...it's true...especially if listed on craigslist....where all the other vehicles of show up for half the price, since those are the ones bought from an auction and/or salvage titles..thus driving down the asking price of a vehicle with a validated history vehicle such as yours...
I can understand the hiding thing, me not knowing the things I mentioned did hurt me. Just the way he was talking made like he thought all the repairs would be a grand which I could see if you took it to the dealership. In the end it felt like his offer wouldn't be a low ball and I'm not hurting for money.

Daily (Rebuild Pending)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Everyone expects to get a deal. That's what craigslist is for.

In all honesty, you probably will have to drop your price. You have had it listed for awhile and kbb price isn't a good indicator of craigslist price. What undone11 said is pretty accurate. Other people with salvage title vehicles they are selling on craigslist will drive the price of your used car down because people look at what other cars are selling for on craigslist.

You don't need it anymore. Let someone else get some use out of it. That way it will be out of your hair and you won't have to worry about it anymore. I feel like we as people are too greedy to hold onto possessions (cars, electronics, money, etc) so dearly. In the end you can't take it with you, but you can let someone else use or enjoy it for the time being.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:28 AM
Tinder Douchebag

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7095
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Ok anyways the guy shows up looks the car over the usual, tries out the AC which wasn't functioning properly blowing warm air, the exhaust was also leaking rust had ate a hole in one of the mufflers. I live in Michigan so rust is a big thing here. I didn't know these things had I known I would have put them in the ad
Quote:
Guy asks if I'm still firm on my price even after finding these things, I said ye so he says he's not interested and leaves
What is the dilemma here?

You didn't mention things and he made a trip and found that out. It's pretty simple. Why are you shocked about this?

Just actually go over the car this time and list all the bad stuff so it's known from the start. Then wait for the offers.

team graham

offerup elite expert team 2016
Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 AM
mega fatty

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6008
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Just saying from reading it and your description I wouldn't pay more than $2000. $2500 if it's in great shape interior and exterior with no fading paint no dents and no scratches.

The cel in my state is an automatic emissions fail.
If it is on it will not pass no matter why it is on.

Also with craigslist people are looking for that steal of a deal and usually want money taken off.
You could have tried $3500 and came down to $3000 and the person would have thought they got $500 off
Old 07-22-2016, 07:38 AM
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12531
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

You say your pretty firm on your price and you also say your not hurting for money. Firm on the price with a few cosmetic problems and no room to negotiate will have people looking in other directions. Had you said ok 2500 and its yours would prob sold the vehicle to that guy and spend a little $$ fixing those problems.

Prob be best to have a notebook and go around the car like it's a tour and write down what needs to be fixed/repaired. You had mentioned new parts on it, which is a plus. But I feel more needs to be added in the ad.

Some people can be very picky. Just don't know what ones are. I bought my s10 p/u that had some minor issues which I fixed myself. It was a bunch of micky-mouse BS that the previous owner ignored.....but the vehicle runs dam good. Doesn't leak anything whatsoever.

Condition and low mileage will drive a vehicle's value up.
Wolfram amps 3000.1, 125.4 coming soon
2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.
Interstate battery/Royal Excelene/KnuKoncepts Kolossus wiring
Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Loyal Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2152
Feedback Score: 35 reviews

You asked for opinions so enjoy the text wall lol

As a person who buys cars from people on the street constantly, rule number one is NEVER EVER pay what the person is asking. Finding every little problem and trying to get the guy/girl to drop the price is part of the game. Leaving like a jerk instills yourself into the buyers mind. In 3 weeks when rent is due guess who's snarky low ball offer starts looking pretty tasty?

A used 00-06 grand prix with rust and problems is worth about 2000 here in chicago in decent running condition. For 3000 it would have to be very clean with absolutely no issues.

CEL- anywhere from 5 dollars to sending it to the junkyard (plus no registration until it's fixed)
exhaust and installation at a "good" shop - 120 to 200 dollars
a/c recharge - 100 if it doesn't need to have the 200-500 dollar compressor replaced or the 100-200 dollar condenser replaced (plus a decent chunk in labor of course)
2 owner car means it could have been dogged the first 60K and babied for 30K or run into the ground for 112K miles
Once you start adding up the problems it could turn out to be a 5000 dollar car and at that point I'm looking for something with less than 90K on the clock or dealer receipts.
You know your car is a reliable wonderful little curmudgeon. You know you spent every moment behind the wheel keeping it up as best as possible. You know you're trust worthy and not trying to screw anyone over. As a potential buyer I think you're some jerk stranger trying to sucker me into your old lemon. Always look at the deal from both sides.

Not trying to be a **** just telling you from my own experience. That being said if you're patient someone will come along and buy the car for the price you want. There's no shortage in people looking for cars. Also remember CL is like walmart for the people too weird to go to walmart. Good Luck!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:21 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

CEL will make any prospective buyer question anything you say. My suggestion would be to take the car to Carmax, get an estimate and change your asking price to match that of Carmax's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
What is the dilemma here?

You didn't mention things and he made a trip and found that out. It's pretty simple. Why are you shocked about this?

Just actually go over the car this time and list all the bad stuff so it's known from the start. Then wait for the offers.
If I'd have known these things I'd have listed them, there was no need to be rude on his part, I'm home 4 days a month it's not like I really have a ton of time to stay on top of everything. I guess I would have left politely if I were in his shoes, I've done so before drove 3.5 hours to look at a Jeep that wasn't at all what I expected but I didn't leave like an *******.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymoto21 View Post
Just saying from reading it and your description I wouldn't pay more than $2000. $2500 if it's in great shape interior and exterior with no fading paint no dents and no scratches.

The cel in my state is an automatic emissions fail.
If it is on it will not pass no matter why it is on.

Also with craigslist people are looking for that steal of a deal and usually want money taken off.
You could have tried $3500 and came down to $3000 and the person would have thought they got $500 off
When I originally listed the car I looked at similar cars on Craigslist in the area, there were many more priced higher with more miles. I really don't think I'm far off on a car with low miles and pretty much every option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomintahoe View Post
You say your pretty firm on your price and you also say your not hurting for money. Firm on the price with a few cosmetic problems and no room to negotiate will have people looking in other directions. Had you said ok 2500 and its yours would prob sold the vehicle to that guy and spend a little $$ fixing those problems.

Prob be best to have a notebook and go around the car like it's a tour and write down what needs to be fixed/repaired. You had mentioned new parts on it, which is a plus. But I feel more needs to be added in the ad.

Some people can be very picky. Just don't know what ones are. I bought my s10 p/u that had some minor issues which I fixed myself. It was a bunch of micky-mouse BS that the previous owner ignored.....but the vehicle runs dam good. Doesn't leak anything whatsoever.

Condition and low mileage will drive a vehicle's value up.
Understandable and I do see your point, I think there's being picky and then there's being overly critical on an item that doesn't cost a fortune in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachidfunaki View Post
You asked for opinions so enjoy the text wall lol

As a person who buys cars from people on the street constantly, rule number one is NEVER EVER pay what the person is asking. Finding every little problem and trying to get the guy/girl to drop the price is part of the game. Leaving like a jerk instills yourself into the buyers mind. In 3 weeks when rent is due guess who's snarky low ball offer starts looking pretty tasty?

A used 00-06 grand prix with rust and problems is worth about 2000 here in chicago in decent running condition. For 3000 it would have to be very clean with absolutely no issues.

CEL- anywhere from 5 dollars to sending it to the junkyard (plus no registration until it's fixed)
exhaust and installation at a "good" shop - 120 to 200 dollars
a/c recharge - 100 if it doesn't need to have the 200-500 dollar compressor replaced or the 100-200 dollar condenser replaced (plus a decent chunk in labor of course)
2 owner car means it could have been dogged the first 60K and babied for 30K or run into the ground for 112K miles
Once you start adding up the problems it could turn out to be a 5000 dollar car and at that point I'm looking for something with less than 90K on the clock or dealer receipts.
You know your car is a reliable wonderful little curmudgeon. You know you spent every moment behind the wheel keeping it up as best as possible. You know you're trust worthy and not trying to screw anyone over. As a potential buyer I think you're some jerk stranger trying to sucker me into your old lemon. Always look at the deal from both sides.

Not trying to be a **** just telling you from my own experience. That being said if you're patient someone will come along and buy the car for the price you want. There's no shortage in people looking for cars. Also remember CL is like walmart for the people too weird to go to walmart. Good Luck!
You don't sound like an ass, maybe I hadn't considered his position well enough. I would rather give a deal to a nice person than sell something to a rude person any day. Like you said some things could be small fixes which I could take care of and increase the likelihood of making a sale, but I can see myself doing the work and not making a return on said work.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, sounds like I might have been an ass.

Daily (Rebuild Pending)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement