Thinking About Join The Military - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > The OT™ > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Sit back, relax and chat with other members about any and everything. Keep it PG-13!

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Ω rise is way too high..

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3784
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Question Thinking About Join The Military

Thinking about joining the military....
its a tough thing to swallow but the more and more I think about it, the more and more I like it. I have an enormous amount of respect for anyone who is in our military and I think that it is something that I want. I want the knowledge of knowing that I made an impact. I am a freshman in college, and I don't know about what I want to do next semester, and after I got done, I might know more about myself and what I wanna do, not to mention that the military would help me pay for it. What do you guys think?
I have a couple of questions for those of you who might have answers.
1) How would I deal with the fact that I am on anti-depressant meds?
2) I have had a few knee surgeries and have trouble with a lot of movement. I could get through the pain but I'm just not sure.

Any sites of those of you with information and are willing to post whore it up for me, thank you. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

-Steve Hoff

ps. not to mention what I could do with the money for audio

.... so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 PM
That was crafty.

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1790
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Military.com Forums - Powered by Social Strata

The answer to all of your questions.

I spend hours on here reading every little post trying to gain information for the Coast Guard. There's countless posts of good information. Those two questions have been asked and answered many times.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss493
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy2 View Post
Military.com Forums - Powered by Social Strata

The answer to all of your questions.

I spend hours on here reading every little post trying to gain information for the Coast Guard. There's countless posts of good information. Those two questions have been asked and answered many times.
What have you learned about the Coast Guard? I'm kinda interested

Old 02-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Car audio classifieds, stereo sales, subwoofer amps mids classified caraudio, BANNED!!

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss283
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Don't do it. My dad was in the military and it ****ed him up(mentally). War, death and all the other bs you have to deal with is not worth any amount of money they promise you.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 PM
That was crafty.

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1790
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Mostly what i was reading on was like... Boot camp details.

And things that DQ you from being enlisted like certain tattoos, conditions, etc.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss679
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

the military is a funny career choice, mainly because no other "job" out there has the same potential as the military. Like ticktoc said, you have to consider the fact that you will see some sh.t that people just shouldn't have to see... you'll do things people shouldnt do. it is difficult, and it is a dangerous occupation. You need to ask yourself if you are ready for that kind of stress, both mentally and physically.

But.... with all of that negative, there is the positive side.... respect. The money is, and should be, a very minimal reason for joining the service. this is a job you do because you believe in the end result. you believe in your country, you believe in the end goal of whatever order you are given.

If you can swing it, and not become an arrogant d.ckhead (like most servicemen my age around here) i say do it. I looked into going ito the marines a couple years back... and it took a lot of soul searching on my part to decide whether it was right for me... ultimately i decided against it... for many reasons i wont go into here.... but i say, if you really want to go in, and it seems like something you can put your heart & soul into, i say do it... if you can reap some real reward from service, and increase your bank roll at the same time... its a win win situation... But understand no amount of money is worth destroying your sanity/soul/life on the battlefield, especially if it is something you dont fully believe in....

Damn, tequila does f*cked up sh*t to me...
Old 02-06-2010, 12:31 AM
*Project 160db @44-47hz*

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1684
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Man, I'm an ex soldier myself and I would say no. I've done a tour in Korea, 2 tours in Iraq with the 101st Airborne Div. AASLT, been to Germany, Greece and all over the country and money isn't the best at all! I've seen and done my fair share of stupid, ****ed up shit and I'd vote against it. I've done a lot more in my deployments than I've told people about, some things are better left unsaid. I still wake up in cold sweats and have the worst day dreams imaginable. The best part about the military is the people you serve with and the experiences with those people. You may join to do something special for your country but you'll stay because of the people that you serve with, that's what makes it all worth while.

As far as your knee issues, you might want to talk to a recruiter but I don't think they'd let you in because of your surgeries. You'd basically become a liability to them and cost them money for everytime you go to the doctor for some meds. It was fun while it lasted and yeah, I miss it but I'd never go back on active duty. If you have any indepth questions, I'm pretty sure I can answer them for you, just shoot me a pm. I'll be more than happy to answer them for you. Personally, I would say finish school and get a good job to help pay for it. If it wasn't for the true friends that I have made via the Army, I'd regret doing it.

No advertising images in sig
Old 02-06-2010, 12:48 AM
SPL Retard

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12327
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,641 Posts
Feedback Score: 67 reviews

Do it. There is nothing like the pride you will feel that comes from defending your country. I was in the Navy for 6 years and it was one of the best decisions/experiences of my life. I still get choked up whenever I hear the national anthem. I don't understand why the younger generation is so opposed to military service. You will make freinds/brothers that you will have for the rest of your life. I still keep in touch with the guys I served with.

Dont' do it for the money though. It doesn't pay very well, but if you factor in that they pay for room and board, then it's pretty comparable. They will teach you a trade and pay you for it. You can use that experience and knowledge when you get out or use the GI bill to go back to school.

As far as the meds go, I would go talk to a recruiter and ask him about it. Be honest and take everything they say with a grain of salt, but they can answer most, if not all of your questions. And if you can pass a physical with your knee then you are in. I wouldn't mention it. Just see if you can pass. If you can and it gets worse after you are in, then they will pay for any surgeries or whatever.

Here's my take...
Army- full on grunts. We called them bullet catchers. Decent training and career choices, but not much call for a tank driver in the real world. Get to choose from a limited number of jobs that they need to fill.

Marines- hardest of the 4 but also the most rewarding if pride and service are your goal. Not many real world jobs that come from the marines. But once a marine, always a marine. Coolest uniforms too. May not get to pick your job, so they may just tell you that they need infantry or heavy artillery dude.

Navy- best overall service for training and career choices. Get to see the world. Lots of potential real world training. Navy has all of the coolest toys and technology. Virtually zero risk as far as battle and what not. Unless you consider sitting miles off shore clearing beaches for the two guys above risky. Get to pick your job.

Air Force- the white collar branch. Best technical training. Fastest promotions. good chance you will be stationed over seas though if that's a negative for you. Not much chance of seeing front lines here either. Best opporunity for real world job skills. Gayest uniforms. Get to pick your job.

Coast Guard- stepchild of the Navy. Don't get fooled by the commercials. Not everybody is out there chasing drug runners down. Easiest of the 5 though. You will be stationed here in the continental US. Good training. Cool toys but you may never get to play with them. Not sure if you get to pick your job. Not many choices with CG anyway.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss679
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfade View Post
Air Force- Gayest uniforms.

thats cold

Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 AM
*Project 160db @44-47hz*

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1684
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfade View Post
Do it. There is nothing like the pride you will feel that comes from defending your country. I was in the Navy for 6 years and it was one of the best decisions/experiences of my life. I still get choked up whenever I hear the national anthem. I don't understand why the younger generation is so opposed to military service. You will make freinds/brothers that you will have for the rest of your life. I still keep in touch with the guys I served with.

Dont' do it for the money though. It doesn't pay very well, but if you factor in that they pay for room and board, then it's pretty comparable. They will teach you a trade and pay you for it. You can use that experience and knowledge when you get out or use the GI bill to go back to school.

As far as the meds go, I would go talk to a recruiter and ask him about it. Be honest and take everything they say with a grain of salt, but they can answer most, if not all of your questions. And if you can pass a physical with your knee then you are in. I wouldn't mention it. Just see if you can pass. If you can and it gets worse after you are in, then they will pay for any surgeries or whatever.

Here's my take...
Army- full on grunts. We called them bullet catchers. Decent training and career choices, but not much call for a tank driver in the real world. Get to choose from a limited number of jobs that they need to fill.

Marines- hardest of the 4 but also the most rewarding if pride and service are your goal. Not many real world jobs that come from the marines. But once a marine, always a marine. Coolest uniforms too. May not get to pick your job, so they may just tell you that they need infantry or heavy artillery dude.

Navy- best overall service for training and career choices. Get to see the world. Lots of potential real world training. Navy has all of the coolest toys and technology. Virtually zero risk as far as battle and what not. Unless you consider sitting miles off shore clearing beaches for the two guys above risky. Get to pick your job.

Air Force- the white collar branch. Best technical training. Fastest promotions. good chance you will be stationed over seas though if that's a negative for you. Not much chance of seeing front lines here either. Best opporunity for real world job skills. Gayest uniforms. Get to pick your job.

Coast Guard- stepchild of the Navy. Don't get fooled by the commercials. Not everybody is out there chasing drug runners down. Easiest of the 5 though. You will be stationed here in the continental US. Good training. Cool toys but you may never get to play with them. Not sure if you get to pick your job. Not many choices with CG anyway.

That's why it was the best decision/experience! lol And if he goes in as an officer(of course that's if he decides to finish school) he doesn't get the GI Bill and they don't pay for school, they pay you extra money every month(being an officer) to pay off your own schooling but if you go in after you finish as a non commissioned soldier, they'll pay up to around $52k in student loans. The best thing to do is talk to a recruiter, it won't hurt to ask them. Just don't give them your number or address, they'll bug the hell outta you about joining. Just go in to the local recruiting station and sit down with someone to get some insight, they can tell you of the latest precedures and what has changed in the last couple of years.

No advertising images in sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement