What Do I Need To Do? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > The OT™ > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Sit back, relax and chat with other members about any and everything. Keep it PG-13!

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Ω rise is way too high..

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3784
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Default What Do I Need To Do?

Hey guys, what's going on.
For those of you who do not know me, I am a 18 year old guy from Northern Indiana. I want to get into car audio as a profession. What do you think? Right now I am attending a stuck up little catholic high school and doing well. I am a pretty smart guy and I am hoping that will help down the road. I am going to attend IPFW (Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne) next year and I am looking into a few different majors. Right now the leading is major in electrical engineering with a minor in business, but I am still labeled "undecided". I need and want some input on what you guys think I should do to be able to do this for a living. I do not feel like there are many craftsmen left, and I want to be one of those few. I like doing things right the first time, and taking the extra step to make sure it is done so. I have looked into a few car audio schools like the Installers Institute and Mobile Dynamics, and I have heard that the more you know when you go to those, the more you get out of it. Right now I am very book smart on electronics, but have little experience putting things in. What can I do? Any opinions are welcome. If you are a shop owner, what do you look for in an installer? How would I get to starting a shop and getting sponsors and such? I do not want this to be a junk thread, and I hope it helps other people beside me. Thanks guys!

.... so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss384
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I'm also looking into getting into this as a serious profession. Albeit, I most likely will not be into it long term, I would still enjoy working in the industry as more than just a Best Buy installer, making enough cash to make it through college, and build up enough work experience to have a diversified background. So basically I'm looking for the same information as the OP...

-Ryan

And to the OP, it's probably a little late now, but you might want to check into SkillsUSA. It's a vocational competition for high-school students. They just started a competition this year for Mobile Electronics Installation and making your way up the chain by doing well would probably gain you a few connections.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 AM
admin my ass

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss31247
Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,730 Posts
Feedback Score: 185 reviews

Personal opinion...
Go to college.
Get degrees which focus on Business Management, Physics, and Mathematics.
Use your Degrees to make a 5h!t ton of money.

Then create a company and build its credit (with your money as the key ingredient)

Then the company can borrow the money needed to go global... (get your investments back)

Then steal all the cash and start your car audio shop...J/K

So anyway... the point is.

Own your own business.

It's not easy.

Don't get caught up in the father-friend-figure thing...
(Someone with money will be your boss and use you to build a business which in the end is not yours and you get to go f**k yourself.)
Yes it really happens.

As for learning... get what knowledge you can from people and get out... move on.

Installer institute is great...
It's a month long vacation that used to cost about $3400 total. Actually you should be able to save money by driving and you'll have more freedom that way.

As I said before... Go to college.

It doesn't pay well to be an installer and your body will pay the price no matter how much you don't think so now...
The truth is;
Years of:
Lying under dashes will cause shoulder and hip problems.
Twisting screws will cause the cartilage in your wrist to fail and the bones to pop out of place.
Listening to loud stereos will cause your ears to fail.
Fumes and dust will cause your lungs to fail.
Kneeling beside, under, in and around vehicles will cause your knees to fail.
Multiple cuts scrapes and burns will leave you riddled with scars.
Lifting items too large will cause your back to fail.
Lifting, stretching, pulling, etc will cause the tendons in your elbows to fail...

Oh, and;
Spending as much time on your own projects as you do on work will help your relationships to fail... so don't do that.

Anyway..
Here is the knowledge I use in my installs:

Physics
Business Principles
Construction Techniques
Graphic Design
Industrial Electrical
Home electrical
Auto Mechanics
12 volt electronics

(I know how it works, why it works, and how to make it work better)
(I've sold multi-million dollar agricultural facilities which makes me be able to sell expensive items without a flinch. Also I've made first contact with suppliers and customers and taken complaints on multi million dollar projects. These are experiences which harden a person and readys them for almost anything)
(I've learned from every industry; auto, home, industrial, agriculture, plumbing.. this also means I have mega knowledge of tools and their uses as well as alternate uses which are not in their normal scope. I have in-depth safety training from each industry which means I have knowledge of how to push the limits and remain safe.)
(I understand the nature of colors and how to build something colorful which sets itself using shades, shadows, and contrasts that would otherwise not yield the same result)
(I know how to wire and place industrial equipment which comes in useful when dealing with the easy stuff like hall-effect sensors, relays and controllers for linear actuators)
(I can route wires in a house in walls with minimal openings & disturbance to existing wire and structure. This gives insight in automotive installations also)
(I have disassembled and reassembled every inch of an automobile and have a working knowledge of the entire drivetrain and electronics.)
(There's more but it's hard to realize what all I've learned)

so.. here I've tried to give you an idea of what you need. and I know I've missed something but it's a start...

Language and the art of words. Don't get fancy.. just learn enough to spell, use grammar correctly and convey ideas clearly.

Tact and strategy.. useful when dealing with people.
The very first word we are taught is "NO". This causes our first instinct to be a response of "No" although the real answer is "I don't know", or "I am not the one you should ask." This is information to keep in mind when inquiring about something. (many times you just need to get to the right person)
The best word we learn is "Why?" But use it wisely because irritation does not get you the results you are looking for. It's a long story but that's the gist of it.

What ever you decide..

Good Luck!

I do box designs for $35 paid before hand.
Most designs are done within 2 days.

V this picture is a link... click it V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Ω rise is way too high..

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3784

keep it coming!

.... so far
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6075
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Physics and engineering are really helpful classes.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4401
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

I didnt know SkillsUSA now accepted a Mobile installation thing. I wish we had a class at my school, i dont think i can compete because of my school. I am 16 now and hope to start running installs out of my garage as well as possibly make it a extra career choice later. I want to be a mechanic/body man first but my future planned shop will already be multitasking like this so one more thing would just make more business. I suscribed to this thread.
Headunit: ---
Street Stars Motorsports - All Thing Performance/Custom.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Plays With Fire

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10067
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

If you want my honest opinion. Wait! With the market the way it is, it's going to be really tough to get going. Wait till the economy starts to get better and more people have money to throw into this type of stuff. Just my though.

Quote:
What else are laptops good for?

It's a portable computer so you can post on the crapper...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Loud Noises

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9731
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

As it sits the market is flooded with subwoofer and amp companies. Worst part is most everything is the same, unless you have some break through design it is a bad time to get into the car audio business as a company owner, now if you plan to go into the installing business that is a different story. Honestly I would say stay away from the car audio "schools"

Here is what I would do:
Go to a 4 year college as a general business major
In the summer get your MECP certifications
Try and get a job as an intern or a helper at a local shop, make sure you pick a good shop though.
From there you can begin.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Ω rise is way too high..

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3784

good stuff, anyone else?

.... so far
Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 AM
WHAT??!!??

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss566
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

College is overrated just get a job at some shop work there for peanuts for the rest of your life or till you get fired for stealing work supplies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement