New belt? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Vendors > (Singer)

(Singer) Singer Alternators' Official Forum


Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Astrophysicist's Avatar
Almost know nothing.
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss683
Location: Webster/Houston
Age: 26
Thanks: 34
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
iTrader: (5)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default New belt?

I have a 6 phase 290+ amp Singer alt and installed it about a week ago. It's only on a front battery w/drain from a SK-2500 so my lights still dim. Waiting on some batteries. Anyways when not playing anything and at idle, I rev my engine and my dash lights get brighter (to what they're suppose to be) my regular alt didn't do that. Main reason im posting is to question if I should get a better belt, if so from where. The belt I have now is stock I think but doesn't squeak or whine ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM
taylorpro's Avatar
^ Mr. Creativity ^
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6033
Location: Indiana
Age: 26
Thanks: 341
Thanked 392 Times in 293 Posts
iTrader: (28)
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophysicist View Post
I have a 6 phase 290+ amp Singer alt and installed it about a week ago. It's only on a front battery w/drain from a SK-2500 so my lights still dim. Waiting on some batteries. Anyways when not playing anything and at idle, I rev my engine and my dash lights get brighter (to what they're suppose to be) my regular alt didn't do that. Main reason im posting is to question if I should get a better belt, if so from where. The belt I have now is stock I think but doesn't squeak or whine ever.
you need a smaller belt. the smaller pulley on an aftermarket alt will require one to get the same amount of tension. go down to your local parts store, get the next 2-3 smaller sizes from your stock size. Try them all and stick with the one that you can BARELY get on the car with the tensioner pegged as open as possible; that will yield the tightest belt wrap and best performance. When you're done, bump down the road back to the parts store and return the belts you didn't use. I do this for every HO alt I ever install.
__________________
4th 2012 Db Drag WF Street Stock 150.8db

-Youtube Channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to taylorpro For This Useful Post:
profundus-sanus (06-03-2013)
  #3  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Austin175's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4224
Location: Burlington Iowa
Thanks: 375
Thanked 102 Times in 92 Posts
iTrader: (11)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpro View Post
you need a smaller belt. the smaller pulley on an aftermarket alt will require one to get the same amount of tension. go down to your local parts store, get the next 2-3 smaller sizes from your stock size. Try them all and stick with the one that you can BARELY get on the car with the tensioner pegged as open as possible; that will yield the tightest belt wrap and best performance. When you're done, bump down the road back to the parts store and return the belts you didn't use. I do this for every HO alt I ever install.
Hmm im gonna have to try that for myself lol. i got a singer alt an went 2 sizes smaller an ever since then my jeep when i start it up has alt whine like none other but only lasts a few seconds( not sure if it whines when i bump i cant hear it ) but it also bogs down like its gonna die an my voltage will drop real low when i come to stops or slow down to make turns then once i give it gas it goes back up to normal.

but hear lately i have had a vacum leak an it sounds like its in the same area as my alt but if you move away from my alt you can barely hear it.

Edit: i wonder when it bogs down an volts drop could that be from belt slippage?
__________________
Ref's- Bass14(smd), ddbump(caco), GearGuy2001(caco),extremechevyman67(caco),pieper88(caco),
southparkgucci(caco),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(caco),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(caco),Mythyone(caco)
Zookporter17(caco), White91Formula(caco),dgaf(caco),Dman3047(caco),
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 PM
tony30cl's Avatar
WE DEM BOYZ
 
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7483
Location: Roanoke,Va
Thanks: 569
Thanked 401 Times in 319 Posts
iTrader: (22)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin175 View Post
Hmm im gonna have to try that for myself lol. i got a singer alt an went 2 sizes smaller an ever since then my jeep when i start it up has alt whine like none other but only lasts a few seconds( not sure if it whines when i bump i cant hear it ) but it also bogs down like its gonna die an my voltage will drop real low when i come to stops or slow down to make turns then once i give it gas it goes back up to normal.

but hear lately i have had a vacum leak an it sounds like its in the same area as my alt but if you move away from my alt you can barely hear it.
i have the low voltaqge at stops issue......havent figured it out yet lol
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Damn SQ guys will argue over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Austin175's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4224
Location: Burlington Iowa
Thanks: 375
Thanked 102 Times in 92 Posts
iTrader: (11)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony30cl View Post
i have the low voltaqge at stops issue......havent figured it out yet lol
lol finally someone has a problem that i have lol i thought i was the only one who had these problems
__________________
Ref's- Bass14(smd), ddbump(caco), GearGuy2001(caco),extremechevyman67(caco),pieper88(caco),
southparkgucci(caco),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(caco),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(caco),Mythyone(caco)
Zookporter17(caco), White91Formula(caco),dgaf(caco),Dman3047(caco),
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM
tony30cl's Avatar
WE DEM BOYZ
 
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7483
Location: Roanoke,Va
Thanks: 569
Thanked 401 Times in 319 Posts
iTrader: (22)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin175 View Post
lol finally someone has a problem that i have lol i thought i was the only one who had these problems
yeah i dont get it at all...

i also have a weird thing with my tensioner i guess i need a new one. It gets tigher and lose like the pully is warped but i replaced it and still does it. singer said i need a new tensioner so imma try that. (Fyi i dont have a singer alt in regards to the voltage issue)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Damn SQ guys will argue over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:55 PM
audioarsonal's Avatar
Ja Marcus
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6975
Location: The Great city of Harry Baals!
Thanks: 244
Thanked 462 Times in 366 Posts
iTrader: (7)
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default

It can linked to a few different things. 1)what size alt you went with, if you got a 390A unit your not gonna get much at 750RPM. 2) slipping belt 3) you may need a smaller pulley to get the correct ratio. 4) dead/weak battery.
Any one of these can cause idle output trouble. The only real way to get an idea of what is going on is with a load tester and clamp meter.
__________________
Quote:
I think it's probably because that sub is not moving enough to allow it to cool.. Id turn the gain up a bit so it moves more for cooling reasons.. That's why it's hard on subs to be underpowered..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to audioarsonal For This Useful Post:
profundus-sanus (06-03-2013)
  #8  
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Austin175's Avatar
Elite Member
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4224
Location: Burlington Iowa
Thanks: 375
Thanked 102 Times in 92 Posts
iTrader: (11)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default

mine is a 250a alt with an over drive pulley. here is a quote from when me an mike were talking an i think i missed it.


"Drop your current factory belt size by as close as you can to 1 inch small for the pulley I used (this is critical in maintaining the best contact with the overdrive pulley)"

So know that i seen that how do you go about figuring that out?
__________________
Ref's- Bass14(smd), ddbump(caco), GearGuy2001(caco),extremechevyman67(caco),pieper88(caco),
southparkgucci(caco),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(caco),
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(caco),Mythyone(caco)
Zookporter17(caco), White91Formula(caco),dgaf(caco),Dman3047(caco),
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM
tony30cl's Avatar
WE DEM BOYZ
 
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7483
Location: Roanoke,Va
Thanks: 569
Thanked 401 Times in 319 Posts
iTrader: (22)
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioarsonal View Post
It can linked to a few different things. 1)what size alt you went with, if you got a 390A unit your not gonna get much at 750RPM. 2) slipping belt 3) you may need a smaller pulley to get the correct ratio. 4) dead/weak battery.
Any one of these can cause idle output trouble. The only real way to get an idea of what is going on is with a load tester and clamp meter.
idle voltage is fine. its when im at a stoplight but it goes right back up
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Damn SQ guys will argue over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM
audioarsonal's Avatar
Ja Marcus
 
Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6975
Location: The Great city of Harry Baals!
Thanks: 244
Thanked 462 Times in 366 Posts
iTrader: (7)
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin175 View Post
mine is a 250a alt with an over drive pulley. here is a quote from when me an mike were talking an i think i missed it.


"Drop your current factory belt size by as close as you can to 1 inch small for the pulley I used (this is critical in maintaining the best contact with the overdrive pulley)"

So know that i seen that how do you go about figuring that out?
Look up your belt and subtract 1"
__________________
Quote:
I think it's probably because that sub is not moving enough to allow it to cool.. Id turn the gain up a bit so it moves more for cooling reasons.. That's why it's hard on subs to be underpowered..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Car Audio Classifieds! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
Level of Car Audio Knowledge
What's your level of car audio?

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help with belt tensioner btsteinb General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 2 01-18-2013 04:07 PM
Alternator belt question Abcdefranklin General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 13 07-29-2012 05:41 PM
belt slip on 97 explorer baaudio (Singer) 5 04-20-2012 03:24 AM
Serpentine Belt Question lance.requa General Car Audio Discussion & Questions 6 02-01-2012 01:57 PM
I want this belt buckle korey_hofer Off Topic Chat 30 12-20-2010 11:05 PM

» Amps
A/d/s/
Advent
Alphasonik
Alpine
American Bass
ARC Audio
Atomic
Audio Art
Audio Gods
Audiobahn
Audiocontrol
Audiopipe
Audison
Aura
Autotek
Avionixx
Bazooka
Beyma
Blaupunkt
Boss
Boston Acoustics
Bravox
Cadence
Cascade (CAE)
CDT Audio
Cerwin Vega
Clarion
Clif Designs
Concept
Coustic
Critical Mass
Crossfire
Crunch
DB Drive
DC Audio
DC Power
DEI
Denon
Diabolo
Diamond
Digital Designs
Directed
DLS
Dual
DYnamat
Dynaudio
Earthquake
Eclipse
Elemental Designs
ESX
Eton
Farenheit
Fi Car Audio
Fix My Speaker
Focal
Fusion
Genesis
Ground Zero
Hafler
Helix
Hertz
Hifonics
Hushmat
Image Dynamics
Infinity
Interfire
JBL
Jensen
JL Audio
JVC
Kenwood
Kicker
Knu Konceptz
Kole Audio
Kove Audio
Lanzar
Lightning Audio
Linear Power
MA Audio
Magnat
Marantz
Massive Audio
MB Quart
McIntosh
Memphis
Metra
MMATS
Mobile Authority
Morel
MTX
Nakamichi
Niche Audio
O2 Audio
Ohio Generator
Optima
Orion
Oxygen Audio
OZ Audio
PG Audio
Phase Linear
Phoenix Gold
Pioneer
Polk
Power Acoustik
Powerbass
Powermaster
Precision Power
Profile
Pyle
Pyramid
RadioShack
Rainbow
Rampage
RE AUdio
Rockford Fosgate
Scanspeak
Scosche
Seas
Sony
soundstream
Sparkomatic
SPL Dynamics
Stinger
Sundown Audio
Swiss Audio
Targa
TC Sounds
TREO Engineering
TRU
Tsunami
Ultimate
US Acoustics
US Amps
Velodyne
Vifa
Viper
Visonik
Xtant
Zapco
Zed Audio
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Links
Amp Guts
amplifier, amp guts, ampguts, car audio classifieds, speakers and subs for sale with listings of 12 volt sound systems. Security systems for sale for aftermarket car audio equipment with amplifier and amps for sale
Car Audio Forum
car audio forum, moble audio, car stereo, wholesale car audio, 12 volt, with, amplifier, amp, subwoofer, sound quality, buy car audio, and sell automotive stereo systems for cars
Car Audio Sound Quality Forum
Sound QUality science based car audio forum, amplifier, subs and speaker design, fabrication help, sound systems forum, aftermarket car audio website for sound quality.
Car Stereo Forum
DIYMA car audio stereo forum for 12 volt car audio subwoofer and amplifier systems that have sound quality with wholesale car audio products.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.