Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Spray on deadener?

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  SPLEclipse 
#1 ·
Just picked up a few cans of rustoleum undercoating for under the cab of my truck for stupid cheap on clearance at my local lowes. Right on the can in big letters it says deadens sound. Auto Coatings Professional Undercoating Product Page. I plan to do my floorboards and under the cab with it. I was wondering if someone was trying to budget build how it would work on door panels/roof and what not. Like I said gonna try the floorboards for road noise but gonna use the real stuff everywhere else (will post results this weekend) but might help some people in the future. At 7.97 a can normally(got mine for 1.98$ clearance) would it be worth it? Would love to try my doors but really don't wanna attempt to sand this stuff if it fails just as a test/for results. Any use this stuff or have results?

#4 ·
That's what I was figuring. Still gonna hit the underside of the truck though. Nothing like 4 months of salty roads up here in mi. Every spring I wire brush and spray it to help try and stop rust. Just saw it and thought I'd ask. Kinda hard to imagine two coats of basically plasti dip with rust proofing making much of a difference. Kinda like the whole peel n seal thing. Why spend 1000$+ on audio to half ass deadener.

#6 ·

I have used this or very similar stuff in the past for the door panels and doors themselves. The grey in the background is what it looks like.

As stated, clean the surface 1st...esp rust. I'm not so sure about using some sort of solvent or anything strong because spraying the deadener afterwards might have some sort of chemical reaction to the other and may not stick and last.

I myself just used a dry rag to get off any loose dirt, grease, etc.

#7 ·
thanks for all the good info everyone. I did drivers side floor board last night and it help with road noise some. I was just thinking for someone doing a small budget build like a ten or two or a single 12 it might help. Unfortunately for me I don't think I'll ever stop the all flex in my truck(doing a build for two fi btl ufo 18s in a extended cab f150)

#8 ·
What year vehicle?

Older vehicles have more rattles than newer ones.

Think I had the CAE spray now that I think about it.

#11 ·
I have a few pieces of sheet metal in my shop will have to try it and see. Thanks. Oh and doug118 just wanted to say you were right a while back on the info for the box for my one btl. 2 6" aeros is very borderline on port noise. Couldn't find/was to impatient to get a 10". Found another 18 so the single box isn't a issue anymore.

#12 ·
Ok so After 4 generous coats on a piece of sheet metal it really dosent do much. But since I still had a few cans I sprayed the inside of the plastic door panels. Not the truck itself just the inside of the plastic. Will post results once it is dry and in the truck. By no means am I suggesting using this instead of the real stuff but since I had will see if it does anything.

#14 · (Edited)
That undercoating has quite a potent odor and it lingers quite a while.
I used it on some HT speaker enclosures and it was weeks before the stink left my living room. [I didn't spray them in there, I left them dry for 48 hours before installing.]
Meaning if you were thinking about spraying areas you could potentially smell in the cabin.

#17 ·
Any additional mass coupled to a panel will change its harmonic resonance. It doesn't matter if it's spray on, roll on, tape on, etc. as long as the mass is well coupled without an air brake inbetween. The problem with spraying additional mass is that it would take a LOT of spray to get the equivalent mass of a sheet of damper.

What it's really good for is spraying the inside of fiberglass enclosures to eliminate pin-hole leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.