Car Audio Classifieds! banner

[BASIC] What is Fiberfill and How Does it Affect an Enclosure?

6K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  team_db's 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Props to Tom Nousaine @ Car Stereo Review

It's no secret that you can use fiberfill to make low-end magic; clever installers have
been using it for years. Take two boxes of the same size and type, insert the same
woofer into each one, and stuff one with some fiberfill. The one with the stuffing should
kick out lower bass.

In simple terms, it works like this: The fiberfill fools the woofer into thinking that it's in a larger box (one with more air, or internal volume) than it really is. And, in general, the larger the box, the lower the bass you can get out of it.

Fiberfill stuffing is a popular alternative for people who can't or don't want to allow a lot of
space for a subwoofer box.

The particulars of fiber stuffing are pretty interesting: The air inside your enclosure
actually heats up as your woofer moves, making the air stiffer. When the enclosure is stuffed with fiber, the fibers wiggle, dissipating some of the heat and making the system work as though the box were larger. Theoretically, your
woofer/box bass system can act like a system that's a maximum of 40 percent larger
when you've latched onto the right stuffing recipe – in other words, if you have an
enclosure that offers 1 cubic foot (1 ft³ ) of internal volume, in a perfect world a good
stuffing job will make it perform like an enclosure that offers 1.4 cubic feet of internal
volume.

There are three types of stuffing that are commonly used for this purpose: fiberglass
insulation, long-fiber wool, and polyester fiberfill. Fiberfill is the best choice because it doesn't come loose and fly around and irritate your skin or lungs like fiberglass, it works as well as either of the others, it's a lot cheaper than wool, and moths hate it. I recently bought five 20-ounce bags of it at $1.99 a pop (a total of 6.26 pounds for $9.95) at
Minnesota Fabrics; that turns out to be about $1.60 a pound. You should be able to find
some at any fabric store or in the bedding section at friendly stores like K-Mart or Home
Depot.

To evaluate the effectiveness of box stuffing, I used an MLSSA analyzer to measure the
impedance of three enclosures – 5.l-cubic-foot sealed, 1.4-cubic-foot sealed, and
1.4-cubic-foot ported (the port measured 3 inches in diameter and 6 inches in length) –
with various densities of stuffing. For the sealed boxes, I was able to determine the
effective box size – as enhanced by the stuffing – using the system's resonant-frequency
and Qes values. For the ported box, I compared the tuned frequency of the empty
enclosure to the tuned frequency of the stuffed enclosure, using the Speak for Windows
computer program; this enabled me to find the effective box size that fit the actual
resonant frequency I'd measured.

In each case, the news was good – make that very good. With all three boxes, I enjoyed
roughly 25 to 35 percent of "space gain" by using stuffing at a rate of 1 to 1.75 pounds
per cubic foot of internal volume.

When making system performance predictions, be aware that the Qes figure – and,
therefore, the Qts figure – of the sealed boxes dropped. And with the ported box, the
peak of the impedance curve on the lower side of the tuned frequency became heavily damped below the box's point of resonance. I also found that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing: System resonance (Fsb) rises again, beginning with densities of around 1.5 pounds of stuffing per cubic foot of box volume; this happens because the fibers are jammed so tightly together that they stop wiggling and, consequently, stop dissipating heat.

I also found that stuffing gets less effective as box size increases. The morale: The
bigger your box is, the harder it is to fool your woofer.

A few rules of thumb: Stuff small enclosures – those with up to about 3 cubic feet of
internal volume or less – with 1.5 pounds of fiberfill for each cubic foot of internal volume
and you should get about a 30-percent increase in box volume without seriously affecting
other performance variables. For larger enclosures, add stuffing at a rate of
approximately 1 pound per cubic foot and you should get a virtual-space boost of about
25 percent.

See less See more
#2 ·
wow, im gonna look like an idiot responding here, but i never thought of this for my gfs truck. ive got her running just a 10" cvt in a .3 cu ft box (04 frontier has no space to hide it, so smaller was better for her) ill throw some of this in and report. shes happy with how it is now and will probably b*tch that im working on it, but hey, i wanna test for myself.

#3 ·
if my ports are at the bottom of the box.. do you think it would blow the stuffing out of the ports?

#12 ·
My buddy did this back in high school in the early 90's also and I've copied it also but I didn't know the rule of thumb formula - 1.5 lbs for 3 cu ft and under and 1 lb for 3 cu ft and up. You learn something new every day. I'm going to use this formula for my new 4 hole 15" compact sealed sub box when it comes in the mail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.