bass processor, EQ's and line driver - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Sound Quality Area

Sound Quality Area This section is for discussions about sound quality.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Tinder Douchebag

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7095
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default bass processor, EQ's and line driver

ok so I have this cache cloc'd I got real cheap with some other stuff.

Cache CLOC+D (CLOCD) Line Output Converter w/ Line Driver

Never used it but then I did some reading and wondered if it would improve the quality at all? It apparently boosts the RCA voltage.

next is an RE audio VLS-1 bass processor.

RE Audio BassLithic VLS-1 (VLS1) 1 Band Digital Bass Processor

Would this thing be worth getting? I hear it cleans up bass and also adds bass to songs with low bass.

last but not least, 2 EQ's.

Cadence CEQ-773 (CEQ773) 7 Band Paragraphic Equalizer Crossover

NVX XEQ7 1/2 DIN 7-Band Equalizer w/2 Aux Input, Sub Control

I currently have the built in EQ on the DNX 6160 and this seems like it would let me fine tune everything MUCH better.

dnx-6160
sony xm 4045
sony xec-700
sundown saz1500D v1
stock components 2010 HHR
JL 12w3v3-4 1.75 f^3 32hz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Tinder Douchebag

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7095

Also wondering about the output RCA voltage being too high. Is there a way to monitor/regulate it? specifically with the cache cloc'd
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

I did some reading and wondered if it would improve the quality at all? It apparently boosts the rca voltage.

Improves from what? It's meant to provide a low level (RCA) signal from factory high level (speaker) sources. There's a lot of line output converters (LOCs) out there. That one looks nice. If you already have an aftermarket headunit with RCA outputs there's no need for it.

Would this thing be worth getting? I hear it cleans up bass and also adds bass to songs with low bass.

There's generally two different types of bass processors. The first is an epicenter type design, which adds fundamental harmonics (technically sub harmonics) to the original material. These are great for putting a little bottom end into old recordings, as well as just fun for adding stupidly low bass to modern recordings. The second kind is a parametric single-band eq. It does not add anything to the signal, but boosts what's already there. That's what the RE unit appears to be. It can be useful if you want to isolate and boost a certain frequency. I don't really like these, as they can easily cause clipping or overextend the mechanical capabilities of the sub. They are more of a bandaid for design flaws or compromises elsewhere in the system. If used responsibly, they might have a positive effect, but that's for you to decide. More on parametric EQs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_(audio)

I currently have the built in EQ on the DNX 6160 and this seems like it would let me fine tune everything MUCH better.

Being able to tune on-the-fly is a huge plus. I almost always leave mine of flat, but being able to bring out a little sparkle on dull material or cut back an annoying resonance when necessary is fantastic. It's also a great way to become familiar with what instruments play within certain ranges and become more aware of the audible spectrum in general. Another plus: the usually have line drivers built in to boost the RCA voltage a little more, which helps give you more headroom and turn the gains down at the amp. Both of the units you linked to look good; most "cheap" 1/2 DIN EQs are basically the same. Myself and a lot of other people use/have used this one with excellent results:

Clarion EQS746 7-Band Rotary Equalizer/EQ (EQS-746)

Also wondering about the output rca voltage being too high. Is there a way to monitor/regulate it? specifically with the cache cloc'd

You can't actively monitor the voltage with music playing. It will be all over the place. You control signal voltage gain a the amp with the gain knob. Many people think that the gain is used to control the output of the amp, but it's actually there to control the input. If you're using an amp that doesn't have the capability to handle a higher voltage (think old school gear), you can control voltage output at the source, which would be the headunit volume. For more on this, research "setting gains". That's a whole other rant though, lol.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Tinder Douchebag

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7095

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLEclipse View Post
I did some reading and wondered if it would improve the quality at all? It apparently boosts the rca voltage.

Improves from what? It's meant to provide a low level (RCA) signal from factory high level (speaker) sources. There's a lot of line output converters (LOCs) out there. That one looks nice. If you already have an aftermarket headunit with RCA outputs there's no need for it.

There's generally two different types of bass processors. The first is an epicenter type design, which adds fundamental harmonics (technically sub harmonics) to the original material. These are great for putting a little bottom end into old recordings, as well as just fun for adding stupidly low bass to modern recordings. The second kind is a parametric single-band eq. It does not add anything to the signal, but boosts what's already there. That's what the RE unit appears to be. It can be useful if you want to isolate and boost a certain frequency. I don't really like these, as they can easily cause clipping or overextend the mechanical capabilities of the sub. They are more of a bandaid for design flaws or compromises elsewhere in the system. If used responsibly, they might have a positive effect, but that's for you to decide. More on parametric EQs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_(audio)

Being able to tune on-the-fly is a huge plus. I almost always leave mine of flat, but being able to bring out a little sparkle on dull material or cut back an annoying resonance when necessary is fantastic. It's also a great way to become familiar with what instruments play within certain ranges and become more aware of the audible spectrum in general. Another plus: the usually have line drivers built in to boost the RCA voltage a little more, which helps give you more headroom and turn the gains down at the amp. Both of the units you linked to look good; most "cheap" 1/2 DIN EQs are basically the same. Myself and a lot of other people use/have used this one with excellent results:

Clarion EQS746 7-Band Rotary Equalizer/EQ (EQS-746)

Also wondering about the output rca voltage being too high. Is there a way to monitor/regulate it? specifically with the cache cloc'd

You can't actively monitor the voltage with music playing. It will be all over the place. You control signal voltage gain a the amp with the gain knob. Many people think that the gain is used to control the output of the amp, but it's actually there to control the input. If you're using an amp that doesn't have the capability to handle a higher voltage (think old school gear), you can control voltage output at the source, which would be the headunit volume. For more on this, research "setting gains". That's a whole other rant though, lol.
Thanks for the feedback. Saw your vids On the vme subs

The cloc'd is a line driver as well so even if you have rca's on the head unit it will boost the voltage or am I wrong to think that? It has the rca/speaker input selector.

With 5v or more pre-outs, and the dnx only having what I think is 2v, wouldn't this help a little? Or just act sort of like bass boost does on an amp and just sort of give a lame low quality boost?

Is there any eq's with more than 7 bands? Are the frequencies sort of sloped (I mean do they sort of roll off to nearby frequencies?)

Any suggestions on an entry level epicenter?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6101
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

The LOC won't do much good for you. If you want a real line driver buy a real line driver, not a line output converter. As for whether the eq frequencies affect other frequencies around them: yes. That is how it works on all graphic eq units. They affect a small band, and the number they show is the center of the band. Think of it like painting with a big paintbrush and only a couple color choices. If you want to change the size and center frequency of the bands you need a parametric equalizer.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss276
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

MX-3 will do all your wanting. Going to be selling mine in a month or so.

HIFONICS - MX-3 Bass Controller

I've personally tested this unit (with a Scope) and it does clean voltage (out) up to 9v. That was with 4v input. Boosting the frequency you want and adjusting the bandwidth allows you to boost other frequencies around your target number and within reason produces a clean signal. The clipping light is a waste as it analyzes the clipping within the song and there is nothing you can do about it. (Once again I tested this with a scope and didn't show clipping in the sense of hurting the system).

Good unit for someone wanting to have a bass EQ option.

Last edited by beckerson1; 11-21-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6101
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerson1 View Post
MX-3 will do all your wanting. Going to be selling mine in a month or so.

HIFONICS - MX-3 Bass Controller

I've personally tested this unit (with a Scope) and it does clean voltage (out) up to 9v. That was with 4v input. Boosting the frequency you want and adjusting the bandwidth allows you to boost other frequencies around your target number and within reason produces a clean signal. The clipping light is a waste as it analyzes the clipping within the song and there is nothing you can do about it. (Once again I tested this with a scope and didn't show clipping in the sense of hurting the system).

Good unit for someone wanting to have a bass EQ option.
while we appreciate your desire to sell your unit, it doesn't do everything he wants. It only has an EQ for bass, not for the rest of the bands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IASCA Pro AM and MECA Modex -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Saw your vids On the vme subs

The cloc'd is a line driver as well so even if you have rca's on the head unit it will boost the voltage or am I wrong to think that? It has the rca/speaker input selector.

With 5v or more pre-outs, and the dnx only having what I think is 2v, wouldn't this help a little? Or just act sort of like bass boost does on an amp and just sort of give a lame low quality boost?

Is there any eq's with more than 7 bands? Are the frequencies sort of sloped (I mean do they sort of roll off to nearby frequencies?)

Any suggestions on an entry level epicenter?
It depends on what you mean by "help", lol. If you are maxing out the gains on your amp and have no headroom to work with, then yes, upping your signal voltage will let you turn the gain down. If your signal voltage is too low and your amps sensitivity is to low a match for it, you could actually gain clean volume by adding a line driver. However, if your signal voltage is adequate to match the amps input sensitivity within the range of the gain, there won't be a difference. You could turn the gain down on the amp but the overall (clean) output would remain the same.

As for the EQ questions, yes they make EQs with a lot more bands than 7. Honestly, for most people it isn't necessary to have more than the standard 7 offered by the 1/2 DIN units. The frequencies "next to" the center frequencies you adjust on an EQ are also effected, but it depends on the Q factor of the EQ. The "Q" describes the slope on either side of the center. If its short and wide it will effect the frequencies more noticeably. If its tall and narrow it won't. A parametric EQ lets you adjust the Q of the center band for more fine tuning, where a graphic EQ does not. There will be virtually no reason to have a parametric EQ for daily listening.

I recommend you get one of the 1/2 DIN eq/line drivers. If it turns out that upping your voltage helps, then great. If not, you still have 7 bands to play around with to fine-tune your sound. Buying a line driver or a bass-only EQ will be a waste of money IMO.

I'm not sure what other processors use an epicenter style design. I've only ever heard the original epicenter, so i can't comment on any emulators.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss276
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres The Butta View Post
while we appreciate your desire to sell your unit, it doesn't do everything he wants. It only has an EQ for bass, not for the rest of the bands.
Yes correct bass... Didn't notice the last portion of his post, Just did a quick glace/read through

Last edited by beckerson1; 11-24-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Tinder Douchebag

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7095

How about audiocontrol - the epicenter for bass reconstruction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement