SQ box - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Sound Quality Area

Sound Quality Area This section is for discussions about sound quality.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss459
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Default SQ box

I've played around myself with a couple different subs and boxes in my car but I think its time I look into a SQ option, as while I want to have high output it doesn't mean much to me as I am looking for quality output which spans a semi-large frequency range.

I have a XL 15 on a 3.5K currently, but I'm thinking about going something like 2 10's in a 4th order, or maybe a single 12 in something like a T-Line.

My question is this, what are the differences between something like a T-Line and a 4th order. I know where my car peaks (as I know this makes a big difference when tuning something like a 4th order, although I don't know the math behind it).

Is anyone able to enlighten me on the key differences, like output range, etc. Is doing something like a T line not worth it in a trunk car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss146
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

where does your car peak and coupe or sedan
mwspl-2nd place basic trunk 2012
mwspl-2nd place xtreme trunk 2013
mwspl-2nd place basic trunk 2013
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss459

sedan, peaks at 42

Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM
SUPER FAST SHIPPING

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss31247
Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,730 Posts
Feedback Score: 185 reviews

my suggestion is simple;
[save your sub and box for later in case you want to move back to SPL]

buy a LVL4 D1 and series the coils for 2ohm, then put it in a 2.75cu ft sealed box firing back into your trunk and turn the SSF all the way down.

you will have respectable / plenty loud SQ and it will impress you.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM
SPL Retard

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12327
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,641 Posts
Feedback Score: 67 reviews

Your car's resonant frequency and where your current box peaks are two completely different things.

Do you really want SQ? Like... really? Or does your current shit just not sound good enough?

Quote:
Welcome to the world of SPL.

Where nothing makes any fucking sense.
Quote:
Music and movies are art. Audio is a science.
- Floyd E. Toole
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss276
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

You could do what I did with a 4th order. Instead of a larger ported side do the opposite.

Depending on the sub and box design you can get a fairly flat (in my case same curve, within .5db +/-) curve as you see with a sealed enclosure.

It was more of an experiment when I built it but sounds great. I even moved on to a 4th to 6th switchable convert.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 PM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss459

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
Your car's resonant frequency and where your current box peaks are two completely different things.

Do you really want SQ? Like... really? Or does your current shit just not sound good enough?
I've hit a point where I have put probably upwards of 10 systems in my car, I want something that sounds better then what I have. While I enjoy having a system that is loud I want something that sounds good with not just bass music with subs that'll blend with everything instead of just sound loud in the ~40hz range. I wanna experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsonic View Post
my suggestion is simple;
[save your sub and box for later in case you want to move back to SPL]

buy a LVL4 D1 and series the coils for 2ohm, then put it in a 2.75cu ft sealed box firing back into your trunk and turn the SSF all the way down.

you will have respectable / plenty loud SQ and it will impress you.
I've always faced my subs forward, I like the sound of it when compared to facing backwards, my current plan was to seal off my xl 15 facing forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerson1 View Post
You could do what I did with a 4th order. Instead of a larger ported side do the opposite.

Depending on the sub and box design you can get a fairly flat (in my case same curve, within .5db +/-) curve as you see with a sealed enclosure.

It was more of an experiment when I built it but sounds great. I even moved on to a 4th to 6th switchable convert.
do you know what having a smaller ported side does? I've only heard a single 4th and it had a larger ported side, 3:1 I believe.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 PM
SPL Retard

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12327
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,641 Posts
Feedback Score: 67 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm4688 View Post

do you know what having a smaller ported side does? I've only heard a single 4th and it had a larger ported side, 3:1 I believe.
The closer you get to a 1:1 ratio, the flatter the response gets. But you sacrifice efficiency. People do large ratios for the big gain you get around tuning.

I did a 1:1 ratio 4th for my 12 last week. It sounded amazing, but the ouput was shit. It was perfectly flat from 28hz - 56hz, but a regular ol' ported box was way louder.

If you want to try something different and SQ is a concern, try a quarter wave. Or do a LLT (large low tuned). I don't have the room for one but the feedback on them is amazing. Would be like 4 cubes @ 20hz for a 12. The idea here is that it acts like a sealed box until you get down near tuning where the port takes over and magnifies the output. DO that shit.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of SPL.

Where nothing makes any fucking sense.
Quote:
Music and movies are art. Audio is a science.
- Floyd E. Toole

Last edited by TaylorFade; 01-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss459

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
The closer you get to a 1:1 ratio, the flatter the response gets. But you sacrifice efficiency. People do large ratios for the big gain you get around tuning.

I did a 1:1 ratio 4th for my 12 last week. It sounded amazing, but the ouput was shit. It was perfectly flat from 28hz - 56hz, but a regular ol' ported box was way louder.

If you want to try something different and SQ is a concern, try a quarter wave. Or do a LLT (large low tuned). I don't have the room for one but the feedback on them is amazing. Would be like 4 cubes @ 20hz for a 12. The idea here is that it acts like a sealed box until you get down near tuning where the port takes over and magnifies the output. DO that shit.
I guess in my mind I keep thinking I have more space then I do, I keep thinking I have more depth and I did before adding a third battery. The only way I can go larger really is by building a box that conforms to my trunk opening a little, could probably squeeze a cubic foot or maybe a little more in doing so.

Would building a larger box but not overly large benefit me in any way ? The power handling of the sub drops with a larger box correct ? And what is a good tunning frequency if say I have 4-4.5CU/ft for a 15 and port area per foot ?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss276
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Do you know what having a smaller ported side does? I've only heard a single 4th and it had a larger ported side, 3:1 I believe.[/QUOTE]

In my application the box is specifically designed around the sub. Specifically made to not sound like a one note wonder as some ported boxes, 4th's. Specifically made to resemble a similar curve as a sealed enclosure. But the gain benefit of a ported enclosure. (3-4 db) I'm no expert as this was a design I had someone else do up for me.

From my understanding the more you increase the ported side past the 1:1 ratio the more peak output you get.

This idea is for those who like the sound of the sealed setup but isn't afraid to give up slightly more space in the trunk in order to get slightly louder.

I also went with a 6th interchangeable conversion as well. Mainly because I'm what you call a hybrid as I enjoy SQ but also like SPL. This gives me that. Granted the 6th isn't as loud as it would be if it were designed for a 6th but with my particular setup I gained another 2.5-3.5 db over the 4th order around tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement