Would you buy a complete hardware SQ measuring setup? - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Sound Quality Area

Sound Quality Area This section is for discussions about sound quality.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Default Would you buy a complete hardware SQ measuring setup?

For the past 6 months or so I've been building and testing some prototype solutions for a complete measuring solution to be used with ARTA/Room EQ Wizard and the like, and I'm at the point where I'd really like some feedback on (a) if anyone would want something like this, and (b) what features or requests you would have if you are interested. My intent is not to market this to the high-end guys who will plop down hundreds of dollars on fine tuned equipment, but for the average guy who wants reasonable measurements for a low price, and simplification in getting things up-and-running. So far the package would include the following:

1) A measurement microphone extremely accurate from 7hz up to about 5khz, and then deviation of +/-2db up to above 20khz. SPL capabilities are about 115-120db before response becomes inaccurate, which is plenty for most people. I'm working on getting calibration files sorted out, but so far this looks like it will add a significant cost to the project and the benefits would be minimal for the average consumer, especially considering that in car we take an average reading of several different spacial locations.

2) An all-in-one in/out preamp combo. The kit is designed to be used by a laptop with basic audio capabilities; just a microphone or line in and stereo or headphone jack out. This would be the "brain" where you would connect both of these jacks to your laptop, the microphone, as well as a line out that goes to your headunit's "aux in" jack. All connections will be 3.5mm (1/8") "headphone" style. To avoid any noise which might show up from an external power supply, it will be powered by a 9v battery (included) with a life of 100+ hours. Power will be automatically turned on and off by plugging in the microphone. The preamp boosts the mic level by about +20db to increase overall headroom, and doesn't have to be used if you have sufficient input gain from your laptop. You don't have to use all of the connections if you aren't going to be measuring, for example, impulse responses.

3) All cables, color coded to the inputs/outputs on the "brain".

With this setup, you are able to do just about any measurement you want, from basic frequency response plots to waterfall graphs, impulse measurements for extremely precise time-alignment adjustments (if you're using a DSP of some sort), even group delay and phase alignment checks for anyone who is so inclined to get into the nitty-gritty stuff. If you use Room EQ Wizard (REW), (which is a very powerful and FREE piece of software), there's a massive amount of support on the web. Here's a couple screenshots I posted in another thread a while back just to give you an idea of what you can get:

Frequency response (ignore the arrows, they were added in for the other thread):

Waterfall Plots:

Price will be about the same as a pair of cheap coaxials if anyone's wondering.

Any input? Mods: if you feel this is in violation of the TOS of this site, please let me know. If this does come to fruition I will possibly be interested in vendor/service provider upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 AM
157.28db,41hz +Increasing

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4907
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Hmm seems very interesting. Too bad I already bought stuff for this

Still want to see how this develops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4 15s + Flat Wall + 10k = Loud

#60sHereIcome
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

What if we don't have a headphone style input on our h/u?

Mine has SD and USB.....

I'm interested though. I've been eyeballing the Dayton Audio setup on PE but haven't shelled out the $300 for it yet.....

I mainly want it to set my eq to get flat output. I have an expensive AudioControl EQ in my car and it's set completely flat. Mainly because I don't want to take the time to adjust everything. lol

I'm also about to move into a new house so it could help with speaker placement for the surround sound.

Front Stage: Rainbow SLC 265.25NG .. Amp: SAX-100.4
Sub: 2x RL-I 10s @33hz ................. Amp: SAZ-1000D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:04 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

Need any product testers?

And as of right now you're not violating any rules. But if/when you start selling them you can't do it here without being a vendor.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4405
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
What if we don't have a headphone style input on our h/u?

Mine has SD and USB.....

I'm interested though. I've been eyeballing the Dayton Audio setup on PE but haven't shelled out the $300 for it yet.....

I mainly want it to set my eq to get flat output. I have an expensive AudioControl EQ in my car and it's set completely flat. Mainly because I don't want to take the time to adjust everything. lol

I'm also about to move into a new house so it could help with speaker placement for the surround sound.
The headphone input isn't critical for FR measurement, although it will be the most accurate way to do it. Keeping everything between the computer, mic, and headunit in "sync" is used for the time-alignment and decay charts. You could just as easily play pink noise from the headunit and just plug in the mic and the line out (from the brain to the computer) and measure that way....in fact that's the way most people are doing it now. This type of system caters to the lowest common denominator, but allows you to do much more if you have the capabilities.

I'll keep you in in mind for a proto unit.

edit: If you're using the JVC in your sig you have an a/v input in the back. You'd just need to use a 3.5mm headphone to RCA adapter.

Last edited by SPLEclipse; 04-05-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

I have a RTA type program on my laptop already, but it wont turn on because I don't have a mic plugged in.

I've also thought about getting the RTA add on for the TermLab but then I'd have one more thing to have to hook up to be able to use it. So I figured for the same price I can get the Dayton Audio mic and have less clutter/hassle to get the same thing and then some.

I don't plan on hosting anySQ comps with the RTA setup so I can't justify buying it from TermPro.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 AM
CACO Savage

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2362
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92K1500 View Post
I have a RTA type program on my laptop already, but it wont turn on because I don't have a mic plugged in.

I've also thought about getting the RTA add on for the TermLab but then I'd have one more thing to have to hook up to be able to use it. So I figured for the same price I can get the Dayton Audio mic and have less clutter/hassle to get the same thing and then some.

I don't plan on hosting anySQ comps with the RTA setup so I can't justify buying it from TermPro.
You can plug up the Dayton audio mic to a iPad or even an iPhone and use free app studio six, there are even the imicTester from audiocontrol for your iPhone.
I use the free studio six RTA on my phone for simple setups but nothing beats my trueRTA setup with 1/24 octave sweap, here is an idea for you try developing something for time alignment, RTA's are cool but they don't know where sound is coming from or know when sounds are reflecting and bouncing off panels and windows and how that effects the sound of the music, nothing beats the good ole ear but if you can develope something that can detect sound and show how its moving across your car I'm in for that.

Team SPLC
I Buy unique Subs, used or blown, motors also.
I buy XBL^2 subwoofers or motor.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

Gotta have the mic to do that first.

How do you plug a usb plug into a phone/ipad?

Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM
3/17/2011 RIP

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22939

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=390-792

That's what I've been planning on getting.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 AM
CACO Savage

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2362
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

You have to get an adapter for the mic to USB

iPad RTA Analyser with external mic - YouTube

Spectrum Analyzer for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch - YouTube

Transform iPhone, iPad into 2.4GHz Spectrum Analyzer with WiPry-Spectrum - YouTube

Team SPLC
I Buy unique Subs, used or blown, motors also.
I buy XBL^2 subwoofers or motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement