PHD and Mezzos - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Sound Quality Area

Sound Quality Area This section is for discussions about sound quality.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss89
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default PHD and Mezzos

After going through various setups I believe my best setup will be PHD FB 6.1 Kit Pro in the front and Crescendo Mezzo in the rear. I heard that the rear isnt that important.

Does this sound like a good setup to go with my subs(x-12s). I listen to tons of R&B. I listen to rap as well but mostly R&B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Vanilla Gorilla

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I can honestly not justify the difference in price between Mezz and CZ65 from Crescendo. I've had the CZs in the back for a while, not a complaint. Great midbass, silk dome tweeter, adjustable crossovers. Point of interest - Mezzo crossovers do not have a +3/0/-3 switch like the CZs; instead, they have three separate positives for the high output.

Friend of mine got the Mezzos for the front of his truck. The back got the CZs. We deadened the doors, made nice baffles for the mids, put them in... Meh. Same amps, so power difference is out of the question. His doors are sealed, mine are sealed. Decks are comparable.

Meh. I am not an SQ nut, but I know difference in speakers when I hear it. Mezzos were a bit louder, but the sound was a little harsh. He agreed. We swapped front for rear, and attenuated the tweeters on the Mezzos. Ah, better.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotic101 View Post
I can honestly not justify the difference in price between Mezz and CZ65 from Crescendo. I've had the CZs in the back for a while, not a complaint. Great midbass, silk dome tweeter, adjustable crossovers. Point of interest - Mezzo crossovers do not have a +3/0/-3 switch like the CZs; instead, they have three separate positives for the high output.

Friend of mine got the Mezzos for the front of his truck. The back got the CZs. We deadened the doors, made nice baffles for the mids, put them in... Meh. Same amps, so power difference is out of the question. His doors are sealed, mine are sealed. Decks are comparable.

Meh. I am not an SQ nut, but I know difference in speakers when I hear it. Mezzos were a bit louder, but the sound was a little harsh. He agreed. We swapped front for rear, and attenuated the tweeters on the Mezzos. Ah, better.

Ok. That sounds like a plan as well. They are like 119.00 I believe, while the mezzos are 249.00. Thanks for your opinion bro.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Vanilla Gorilla

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

You won't regret it. I have mine running passive of the 300/4, crossed over at 70 Hz at -18. Seems to be the sweet spot, as I can put it to 'em with no holding back. Focal Polyglass comps in the front are a tad cleaner, and have better, wider staging, but there is also a $250 difference in price. If I were to do it again, I'd just get the CZs.

Oh, and Crescendo ships fast. Both me and my buddy placed our orders at night, 8ish, after work, and the speakers were shipped the next morning. We are in Florida, so UPS got them here the next day. The packaging is cheesy, but the speakers are a great deal for the money. They did take about a week to break in and got noticeably louder in the 80-150 Hz region.

Again, you won't regret it.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotic101 View Post
You won't regret it. I have mine running passive of the 300/4, crossed over at 70 Hz at -18. Seems to be the sweet spot, as I can put it to 'em with no holding back. Focal Polyglass comps in the front are a tad cleaner, and have better, wider staging, but there is also a $250 difference in price. If I were to do it again, I'd just get the CZs.

Oh, and Crescendo ships fast. Both me and my buddy placed our orders at night, 8ish, after work, and the speakers were shipped the next morning. We are in Florida, so UPS got them here the next day. The packaging is cheesy, but the speakers are a great deal for the money. They did take about a week to break in and got noticeably louder in the 80-150 Hz region.

Again, you won't regret it.

Awesome. Thanks man. Im putting the PHDs in the front.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

What was all said is true from my experiance.. Im thinking of doing The RTS1 tweets and CZ s for the mids in teh "rear" i have the mezzos in the front and can honestly say i would like the tweet to have a wider range and not break up as easy as silks, buuut they aare muuuch cleaner sounding. I can be flyin down the freeway and 20 on the deck and hear the song clearly... Mid and lows is were the mezzos shine tho, best ive heard todate..... But the build quality of the Mezzos are fantastic. I would like to stick with crescendo for all my speakers but im thinkin of puttin the Focal Polys in my rear(behind my head in the roll bar)(i have an s2000).... I love Focal and so i just may end up goin that way or the Access series since they are cheaper, but doin the CZs with the RTS audiophile tweets will make me happy to, but im not sure and i dont know anyone who has them or can compare them so im just goin to bit the bullet and see what happens maybe.... Im thinking of throwing a Focal Soild 1 Amp in tho to have a good cleaner sound, and yes i do notice a difference with amps(i had a Z edition, now a Clarion)...
Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2371
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

IMO it's not a good idea to mix components as in different crossover points, different mids and tweets to avoid the confusion that your ears will pick up as you mind tries to sort it out. I would concentrate on the front stage and buy an additional set of mids for rear acoustic fill and let them roll off naturally instead of an additional set of components to achieve the acoustics of a room where sound has a chance to expand. In the 90's there were more people with nice home stereos instead of surround sound. (diamond audio has or had xovers with a rear acoustic fill output, they were one of the better set ups I have ran...Diamond Audio D663S 6-1/2" 2-way convertible speaker system with silk tweeters at Crutchfield.com) To achieve good sound staging one must first have a good reference point: AKA home stereo set up right with speakers in corners on stands angled to intersect at the center of the room where you the listener would be sitting. Now you need the source: AKA music recorded on vinyl or reel to reel. Now you attend a live concert by artist of source. Now that you know what the source really sound's like you try to attempt to achieve the same results at home. Now that your aware of the true source you attempt to achieve the same results in your car. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement