Looking for some guidance for a clean Avalanche system - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Sound Quality Area

Sound Quality Area This section is for discussions about sound quality.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 01:12 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Looking for some guidance for a clean Avalanche system

Hi,
Im new to the forum. New to car audio, kind of. 20 years ago i thought i knew some things. I ran some Boston Pro 6.2 components descent 10 or 12 inch woofers. Phoenix Gold MS series amps. Its been gone for a long time now.
Now im looking to setup my Avalanche with something nice, but not spend thousands of my hard earned bux on it. I want SQ mostly. With enough bass to rattle the mirror, and let me feel it. Staging is high on my priority, but mostly want to be able to turn it up and hear the music/beats/vocals clearly.
I have acquired a few things so far. Finding deals here and there. Hopefully i will be able to use them, or I can flip some of what i have to get other gear as needed.

Items acquired thus far.
Pioneer DEH-80PRS. Bought strictly because of reviews. Had the features i want with inputs and Bluetooth. Has active crossovers, and such.
Alpine PDX 4.150
Alpine PDX 1.1000
Focal PolyGlass 165VRS - This set features a Shallow mid-bass driver. I didn't realize that until i bought them(cash and carry). I'm curious if its going to hurt my mid-bass. Not sold on these, but thought i got a descent deal on them when i bought them.

My thoughts, and please direct me as you think. I will take all suggestions into consideration.

Sundown sub SD-2 8" single sub running on the 1.1000. Of course it will be turned down. Crazy running this much to one 8" sub rated at 300watts? I am really tight on space with the Avalanche. .5-.6ft^3 with 5" mounting depth. Unless i want to replace the mid gate (don't want to do that). Convince me to go with 2 please. I'm looking for reason

Should i add a 3" or 4" driver with the Focals?

Which is best for staging. I have the factory Bose system now with the tweet in the a-pillar. Should i place the focal tweet there, or install in the door near the mid-bass driver? I can fit the 6.5", a 3" and tweeter in the door, just not sure its going to give me the staging i want. Q logic kicks maybe?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss627
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

You can get great imaging and staging with a 3-way set in the doors. Without any processing it probably won't image well, but your head unit will help. If you can fit a 3" mid high on the door and a 1" tweeter in the sail panels that can work really well. Separately the speakers generally makes tonality suffer, and putting tweeters on the A-pillars tends to narrow the sound stage. This year I've been selling more 3-way systems than ever, as the benefits can be substantial.

Another plus of doing a 3-way over a 2-way is the sound power response should improve noticeably. The small midrange lets you cut off the woofer lower and also let the tweeter start playing higher. This is good.

When you're tight on space in this type of cabin you should give up as much space as you can for the subwoofer enclosure. I'm seeing a dual 10" enclosure available for the Avalanche, which should easily give you more output than a single 8" in a sealed enclosure.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I'm leaning more for dual 8s, but may look at some 10s.
I think I can get the 3 way in the doors, but will be putting the mid range speaker right behind my knee behind the top of the factory grill. I may put it like that and the tweet in the a-pillar turned toward the opposite side person.
I picked up another amp the other day. So I'm looking at driving the 3 ways all active. Does the following sound logical?
DEH 90PRS------sub 80ish hz LP out to pdx1.1000----to 8's or 10's
------mid band pass 80ish to 4k out to pdx4.150----channel 1-2 180hz LP filter to mid bass
Channel 3-4 180HP filter to mid range speaker
-----high pass 4k to pdx2.150-----to tweets
Of course the filter ranges will vary depending on the drivers I settle on and tuning.

Please forgive any typos as I'm typing on my iphone.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Outputs of DEH 90PRS------
sub 80ish hz LP out to pdx1.1000----to 8's or 10's
mid band pass 80ish to 4k out to pdx4.150
channel 1-2 180hz LP filter to mid bass
Channel 3-4 180HP filter to mid range speaker
high pass 4k to pdx2.150-----to tweets
just wanted to clarify that part. cant find edit button on this forum
Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss627

You've written up a plan for a 4-way system, which an 80PRS can't handle. I don't like the compromise of splitting channels when you only have 3 pairs and the system needs 5 channels.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
You've written up a plan for a 4-way system, which an 80PRS can't handle. I don't like the compromise of splitting channels when you only have 3 pairs and the system needs 5 channels.
Im looking at using the mids out of the head unit which will be ~80-4k hz. into the pdx4.150. Using the low pass filter on channel 1+2 to feed my mid-bass woofer ~80-200hz. Then use hi pass on channel 3+4 to feed my midrange going from ~200-4k hz. This wont work, or are you saying its best to use passive XO to seperate the mid bass and mid range?

How does the TA work with the 80PRS? Does it dly a channel or does it delay a frequency range? Or is my understanding of TA all worng? lol

Im new to this so i need some edukation!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss627

TA delays the channel, so it's whatever frequencies you assign to the channel.

I should clarify that you can split 2 channels to 4 speakers, but I do it with a mid and tweeter mounted right next to each other. Then you can use passives and your TA and EQ changes sound the same since the driver pairs are side by side. It minimizes the problems caused by large distances separating speakers powered by the same channels.

Mid bass and midrange should be on separate channels, but when you've run out of channels then put the mids and tweeters together with passives. You might have some trouble finding passives, but you can make your own. I can't properly advise you on making passive crossovers but there's plenty out there to read for free.
jwyatt8171 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

So headunit power to a pair? That's gonna make tuning a nightmare and they won't keep up with the other speakers getting amp power. Keep it simple, cut out the 3" mid. Run your components active (don't use xo that came with the focals) channels 1/2 for tweets, channels 3/4 to mids and sub output to sub amp of course. Don't forget to flip switch on top of the radio from std. to 3way. If you absolutely must run the 3rd speaker upfront, run it on channel 1/2 with the tweet. Your gonna have to put a passive cap (bass blocker) on the tweet, and lower the xo point on the high output of the radio. Run all your amps full range and let the radio do it all. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2bars For This Useful Post:
jwyatt8171 (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I have 2 amps for mids/highs.
My thoughts were to use 4.150 for the mids. 150x2 to 6.5" drivers and 150x2 to 3" mid.
2.150 will deliver 150X2 to the tweeters.

The 4.150 will receive frequency range of 80hz to 4khz from the head unit.
I will use channel 1-2 filter set to LP 200 hz. This gives me 80-200 on the mid bass.
I will use channel 3-4 filter set to HP 200 hz. This gives me 200-4k on the mid range.
An additional 2.150 will be used to power the tweeters from the HP filter on the head unit.
Sub woofer will be on a 1.1000 mono from the sub out of the head unit.
Will this be a nightmare to tune?
Im probably making this more complicated than it needs to be. LOL.
Will the third amp and mid range drivers help or is it hurting me in your opinion?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:46 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement