Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Importance of headroom on mids for sq?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Beatdown337 
#1 ·
Im trying to go for more of an sq type of sound in my work vehicle. My midbass woofers will require 200 x 4 at 2 ohms. I had planned on getting a soundstream ref4.920 but I cant find one ANYWHERE.

So I stumbled onto an arc audio ks300.4 (which ive heard is a nice sq amp) but I know that its short on power. Im also curious about the Us acoustics Barbara ann. I know its not the exact same as the old zed built ones, but the specs look nice

[url]http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/us-acoustics-barbara-ann-amplifier.html[/URL]

So in short, should I go with the smaller amp, or find something larger so that I can have the headroom that I normally wouldn't do without :dontknow:

#5 ·
You may have more success finding a pair of large 2 channels rather than trying to find that much power in a 4 channel.

Bonus: Use one for each side for better channel separation.

Why's that?

#4 ·
as long as the source material is of great quality you should be fine. its always good to have plenty of head room to raise the noise floor, but like the old saying, you cant polish a turd. i would be more picky about the plans for the tweeter setup.

#6 ·
Well maybe now full range class d amplifiers are better than they were a few years back. Or maybe it was rumor not fact that class D has more distortion especially at higher frequencies or that when clipping a class D there is more danger of speaker damage. But still most sq guys run class A/B. I guess personal preference just like sq guys arguing if tube, A/B or pure A sound better.

#7 ·
The (arguably) best SQ car in the world (highest score ever) uses all Class D.

And yes... Full range Class D has come a very long way. I remember reading something from Zed where he said they would never make a Class D full range. I don't believe he would sacrifice his rep just to make a few bucks.

I think any bias that people have toward A/B is more due to outdated thinking or nostalgia than having some golden ear that can hear 1Mhz switching.

#8 ·
More headroom is better, especially if you're planning to do any EQ. I won't comment on any of those amps specifically as I haven't owned any of them, but I'm not of the persuasion that there's any inherent audible difference between amps as long as the gain structure is set up appropriately and the amp isn't pushed into clipping or excess distortion. Personally I'd pick the one that put out the most power and has proven to be reliable.

I believe the Ref series has been discontinued unfortunately.

#9 ·
I thought about going d with the soundstream nano but decided against it. I can't prove it, but I figure for this install I'd stick to a/b for the sq. I'm wondering if my setup will be lacking if I'm a bit short on power.

Since I made this thread I've seriously been thinking about running 2 2 channel amps. Didn't want to have to use three amps just for highs though (including a tweets amp).

#10 ·
I know they say you cant tell a difference between amps of same power but I was running some old school alpine equipment using optical cables and processor with all mtx amplifiers the thunder series, I switched out all my amps for linear power amplifiers T03 series I could swear it sounded different, better sounding to me but definitely I could tell a difference. But maybe its like TaylorFade says its nostalgia and being told that certain amps were known to be the best sounding.

#13 ·
I always prefer to have headroom.

The SS REFs are discontinued, you'll probably only be able to find them used. And people aren't letting them go too much. Whatever you do, do NOT give your money to onlinecarstereo.com. They advertise them as in stock on the website, but in fact have none in their inventory.

I agree that Class D is indistinguishable from AB under normal cir***stances. I had a Zed Leviathan III, so I have a little experience. It's not until you get into the edges of the amps (i.e. some form of distortion) that they start to sound harsher. Just run with headroom, and there's no issues.

I also agree a couple two channels would be better here.

Do you truly need 4 channels, or can you wire them as two pairs (like if you have 2 mids in a door)? Could use one large two channel then.

#16 ·
I'm running 8 8 inch mids, (4 ohm each) so a 4 channel would have been easier. It's funny you mention that about onlinecarstereo because that's where I saw the 4 channel and someone here actually bought one not long ago (not sure if he ever got it) I always call to make sure they have things in stock before I order

I'm going to call them tomorrow to see it if they maybe have 2 of the 2.640's since I got shot down on the 4 channel. I know it's a long shot but, why not. If that doesn't work I may just say to hell with it and buy the Barbara Ann and use the money I save there and upgrade my tweeter amp. I have a little kicker zx 350.2 that I was going to use on 4 vifas but I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off with something else? Thoughts?

#17 · (Edited)
First Ive heard anyone say the KS300.4 is down on power. Have you tried one? They make ALOT of power. but it sounds to me like a pair of Zapco 750.2s would to what you want. My 4 mids ,6.6, will be run off a Zapco DCResference 1000.4 at 4 ohms. I would like to do 2 ohms but I'm arguing with myself about cutting door panels.

#18 ·
Update: So I ended up finding an alpine mrv 545 on eBay that I scooped up for a pretty good price. I had the little 345 way back when and in my opinion I always thought the sq was pretty good.

It sounds really good but wasn't quite as loud as I was looking for. I have one of the newer pioneer double dins (avh 4700 bhs) and I turned the speaker levels up to +8 on the fronts and +3 on the rears (I like my music up front). And now it sounds soooooooo good and loud, but after a few songs it overheats and shuts down smh.

So it's time time for something new. I'm gonna take you guys advice and try A pair of 2 channels. I was thinking about the soundstream tn600.2. Any suggestions on a smallish physical size sqish 2 channel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.