Mids and tweets to keep up with 18 - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Sound Quality Area

Sound Quality Area This section is for discussions about sound quality.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Mids and tweets to keep up with 18

I have a 1987 caprice coupe and I just put a soundqubed hdc4 18 in my trunk the thing has thunderous bass now it's time to match a front stage. I have ran infinity kappas, then focal auditor line, then selenium 6w4p with crescendo xts2. No I do miss the warmth of the focal and infinity but I love the volume of the seleniums. So based on some reading I thing I want to go with 8 silver flute 6.5s on 2 alpine pdx 4.150 and 4 vifa xt19 tweeters on a pdx 4.100 Do you think I will have a sufficient sound system any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 05:18 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss416
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

How many of each speaker did you run before?

mids and highs aren't like subs. When you add more subs and double up the box, you get similar response, just more volume. Mids and highs interfere with each other due to the higher frequencies shorter wavelengths. Meaning if one set sounds how you want, warm, good balance overall, adding 6 sets wont' sound just same, but louder. The mids will fight each other and youll have a ragged response compared to one set, and it won't be as loud as expected.

Selenium makes decent stuff, but there are other pro audio companies out there that make nicer stuff. If you want a quality sound like you had with the focals, but with the sheer output of pro audio gear, you just need good pro audio gear.

Personal suggestion would be to get some horns from ES audio. If you PM me I can give you his email address. You mount them under the dash and they are built to fire the sound up, they will sound like they are on the dash when crossed over properly.

From there if your trying to fit everything into the door I'd do a set of 10inch midbasses in the lower door and then do a set of 8inch midranges in the upper door panel.

With the right power backing it all up (250-500 for the midbass 100-250 for the midrange and 10-20 for the horns, it'll keep up with a 150-160db substage no sweat.

I'd get a processor to cross this all over to make it easy.

Something like the mini dsp doesn't cost a whole lot for what it does.

If your serious about it, I can get more specific with my midrange and midbass suggestions.

Anyways if done properly, this setup will sound clean and even like a set of normal components, but get as loud as a bunch of cheap PA mids in a door will. It'll sound louder to the ear though, due to being able to really keep everything in phase.

Last edited by T3mpest; 02-05-2016 at 05:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T3mpest For This Useful Post:
graham (02-05-2016), Reazon (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:05 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss34

My last setup was
4 6w4p selenium
2 8w4p selenium
2 xts2 crescendo super tweets
But that was a different car all together this car is fresh with big blank door panels and kick panels
I currently have 2 pdx 4.150 amps and 1 4.100 but I'm am willing to switch amps or whatever so I currently have 1200 watts for mids and 400 for tweets. Yes very interested in what it takes to get this this thing loud while sounding good. Just tuned a customers bike that has 2 sets of focal k2 powers and 4 pioneer 6x9s and it sounds great he is running 2 of the pdx 4.150

Old 02-05-2016, 06:40 PM
157.28db,41hz +Increasing

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4907
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Jesus.

I don't know if you are deaf or severely under-powering your speakers but a single set of tymphany silk domes and mid ranges is able to keep up with my wall which does low 50s daily listening. And by keep up I mean the tweets still kind of are loud and I can hear vocals fine.

So if you need all that for a single 18... I don't know what to tell you lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4 15s + Flat Wall + 10k = Loud

#60sHereIcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SINTORMAN For This Useful Post:
colorblind83 (02-05-2016), w00tah (03-14-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 02:28 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
Jesus.

I don't know if you are deaf or severely under-powering your speakers but a single set of tymphany silk domes and mid ranges is able to keep up with my wall which does low 50s daily listening. And by keep up I mean the tweets still kind of are loud and I can hear vocals fine.

I haven't put mids or tweets in this vehicle that last set up was in a different vehicle with 4 alpine type s 12s drastically less bass than I have now. I want when I pull into a parking lot you just don't hear my bass I want my kids to excel from the vehicle also. The last setup was on one pdx4.150
Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1475
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reazon View Post
I haven't put mids or tweets in this vehicle that last set up was in a different vehicle with 4 alpine type s 12s drastically less bass than I have now. I want when I pull into a parking lot you just don't hear my bass I want my kids to excel from the vehicle also. The last setup was on one pdx4.150
Double wow! If that's what you ran with "drastically less bass" I can't wait to see what you end up running this time. Your kids excel from the vehicle? Like you want them to run from it? You cray cray bruh.
2- Zed Leviathan's
20 banks Maxwell caps
Team Ampere - Team Heavy Flex +160dB
Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 AM
Just A Quiet Guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
Jesus.

While I've never had a super loud system, I had a Death Row 15 on ~2kw, and a pair of Incriminator I65C's, and those comps on 60 watts per side more than kept up.

Essque on a budget

Team Quiet/Team SPL Farms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement