Slightly disappointed with IA build quality - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Vendors > (SSA)

(SSA) Sound Solutions Audio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1270
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Default Slightly disappointed with IA build quality

If this is a wrong forum to post this please move it.

I picked up a Death Penalty from focuson20s/dmac since I had immediate regrets about not picking up one from the B&B sale. He had picked it up from the B&B sale (I believe through SSA) a couple weeks ago. He stated it was new and once I received it I confirmed it had never been mounted. Note: This is no reflection of anyone's customer service as I purchased this 2nd hand. These issues likely could very well be resolved in a different situation, but in my opinion a top tier car audio manufacturer shouldn't have these types of issues in the first place.

Well fast forward to today after receiving it earlier this week and I have time to really inspect this beast and pop it in the car. I noticed the magnet boot wasn't fitting well and took it off.

Excess glue all over the place including between magnet wedges and between the top plate and some of the wedges. I was ok with it at this point. I can scrape off excess glue.

As I was rotating it I noticed the wedges appeared inconsistently put together. I would imagine since they use the same magnet shape it wouldn't be too difficult to make a special type of shim to keep the magnets more aligned when assembled, but ok I could see implementing this motor structure having its share of difficulties getting everything lined up. Finally, I rotate and see something that truly depressed me. Medium sized chips in one of the ferrite slugs, one edge looks like a baby beaver mistook the slug for wood.

I'm generally not a huge stickler when it comes to stuff like this, but IA is supposedly top quality. Not to mention the tag that comes attached to their subwoofers states "All Incriminator Audio subwoofers are hand built and hand finished to the highest precision tolerances and specifications."

If I had bought it direct and much less for the normal price I would have made a fuss since I consider the motor to be B-Stock. There is a chance maybe this is one DP that just slipped through since I imagine they are up to their necks in orders. I imagine there wouldn't be room for as much issue with the other traditional ferrite offerings they provide. I personally wouldn't worry much about DRs or Judges if you're reading this, but multiple spaced wedges definitely ups the probability for QC issues.

Now onto the positive - The soft parts appear very well put together and the actual subwoofer design is definitely menacing. It's got some heft to it and it definitely feels like it's tough SOB. I'm looking forward to listening to it over the next few weeks. It's going to be ran off a Cactus Sounds PF 300.1 so should be getting enough power to get moving. I'll make a separate review once I've listened to it for a couple weeks.

Last edited by Souldrop; 11-07-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 AM
CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss427
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

High resolution photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to gckless For This Useful Post:
sthrnbumpn (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1270

I'll get pics later today. Have a small trip to make today and wanted to start breaking it in.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1526
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

I TAKE back what i said. That is ridiculous i would be upset also.

Last edited by theFiverMan; 11-07-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:50 AM
'12 Focus Bangin

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss951
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

damn man that sucks. I didn't even really get a chance to inspect it outside of the pics I took upon posting the sub for sale. My Lethal Injection I got from them was immaculate so I figured the top of the line Death Penalty would be aswell.

It could be attributed to them being up to their neck in orders and trying to push them out as quick as possible which is why QC wasn't a main priority possibly. A chip in the magnet though? That does indicate B-Stock equipment, and for the price of it, that very well could have been the case. Probably why they were so reluctant in cancelling my order in the first place. Ordered it October 2nd and had received it on the 27th. Asked to cancel it about two days earlier as I no longer was worried about car audio, and they said due to stipulations of the sale (cheaper price and longer wait time) that cancelling it wasn't a possibly. The sub wasn't even in the building process yet upon a status check. Then two days later I received the sub.

I definitely don't hold this against IA because it was an awesome price, and they were pretty swamped, I assume, but it just isn't acceptable. Will forward this to Tricia on Facebook Soul, I apologize.

Ampere Audio | SounDrive | Royal Excelene | STP Atlantic | Digital Designs
Old 11-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1270

Just to be clear I'm not that upset about the glue or even the fact the wedges are off by a bit. I'll admit I'm being a stickler about that. TBH if it was most any other company I wouldn't even bring those issues up. I would shrug and move on my way. Hell if those were the only issues I wouldn't have said much of anything. I may have mentioned it as an aside note in the glowing review I feel will be coming up once I've listened to it for a couple weeks.

The kicker to me is the chips in the ferrite slug. There is a small part of me that is worried that the chips may be in the gap somewhere hanging out. Hopefully the chips never made it that far. I collect what I think are interesting motors and found this motor design fairly unique and well designed. The finish is just not what I expected given IA's reputation. For a practically brand new, higher end subwoofer I was disappointed. Considering I just read a thread recently complaining about scuff marks on a basket of a "new" Sundown SA v3 I feel my complaints are more substantiated than that at least. Hell, I didn't even look at the bottom and top plates or the basket for imperfections as I don't expect those to be perfect nor would they remain perfect if used, but the ferrite? If purchasing a sub as working in good condition (much less new) I expect only a few things: Motor not shifted, soft parts up to par and installed correctly, and the ferrite to be in good shape unless specifically noted. Small chips are fine. Ferrite is super brittle and I don't expect them to ever be perfect even when new.

I bought this woofer to use in case I try competing next year as most of my stuff is either SQ oriented or custom. I really like IA from what I've heard and read about them. They are local to me and still assemble their subs in the US which means something to me, so I wanted to try them out. I don't feel as if I'm bashing them per se. I'm not discouraging anyone from buying them and I even stressed that there are several reasons why this could have have happened as well as pointed out it likely is infinitely less of an issue on all their other sub offerings.

If I had received the DP and everything has been amazing I would have made a thread stating so. Info on IA isn't as readily available as it is for other companies so I planned on providing a review as well as pictures as soon as I got the sub. It's likely just terrible luck that the one I received had enough issues to warrant me making a thread. Will upload pics soon.

Last edited by Souldrop; 11-07-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1270

Focus, It's all good man. I don't hold you responsible. You're a great seller and came to my rescue twice now when I missed out on deals You even ordered the right dustcap for me No one is sadder than I that you aren't buying more audioz in the near future. This is a QC issue. IA is local enough where I would volunteer to come down there every couple of weeks to QA motors myself. They seem like a great company and I hope (and currently believe) this is just one that slipped through the cracks somehow.

Last edited by Souldrop; 11-07-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1270

Sad panda pics: If I'm being a whiny b*tch please let me know, but this is what awaited me once I slid off the magnet boot.

Happy panda pics:

Compared to the Sundown Neo XBL^2 12.

12" Lineup From Left to Right:
TC9 Eclipse, Sundown Neo XBL, IA DP, Adire Brahma MKI, SA Ultra

Last edited by Souldrop; 11-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Souldrop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2015, 12:46 PM
'12 Focus Bangin

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss951
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

holy shit man. I should've deeply inspected the sub. That is a total deal breaker for me. I would've caused an uproar with IA about it, and more than likely, have gotten my money back. That is totally unacceptable, and yes, why you are having a great sale and swimming in a shit ton of orders that need to be filled, EVERY sub should leave in complete A-stock condition. That irks me. HIGHLY.

Yes the magnet boot covers it (somewhat) but still, the problem remains. $380 for a normally $500 is still a pretty penny. Goddamnit man. Im sorry bro

I wonder how many others got subs to this degree. Should've known something was up after I received the sub in 2 days after asking for a cancellation

Ampere Audio | SounDrive | Royal Excelene | STP Atlantic | Digital Designs

Last edited by FocusOn20s; 11-07-2015 at 12:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FocusOn20s For This Useful Post:
mitchell0715 (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOn20s View Post
holy shit man. I should've deeply inspected the sub. That is a total deal breaker for me. I would've caused an uproar with IA about it, and more than likely, have gotten my money back. That is totally unacceptable, and yes, why you are having a great sale and swimming in a shit ton of orders that need to be filled, EVERY sub should leave in complete A-stock condition. That irks me. HIGHLY.

Yes the magnet boot covers it (somewhat) but still, the problem remains. $380 for a normally $500 is still a pretty penny. Goddamnit man. Im sorry bro

I wonder how many others got subs to this degree. Should've known something was up after I received the sub in 2 days after asking for a cancellation
Lol, not your fault man. The boot does cover most of it, but I wanted to state my initial impressions after inspecting it. I really hope this is just a fluke and everyone else is super happy with their subs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement