DSO Nano v3 problems - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Testing & Scientific Data Discussion

Testing & Scientific Data Discussion Results from Speaker and amplifier Testing

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy DSO Nano v3 problems

So confusing!

I've never had to post images before so bear with me...

I finally decided that I needed an o-scope to set gains on my amps, and after much review I ordered a dso nano v3. After looking at the dso nano tutorial thread, I ordered attenuators and parts to make it easier for me to check my amps. I opened it up, flicked the switch on, and its been nothing but problems since then.

First off, its worth noting that the metal case is gorgeous and the build quality is great, from what I can tell. The first thing I noticed is that the input/output plugs were 3.5 mm, making my BNC connector useless. I chalked that up as my fault for not checking, and have a 3.5mm to BNC connector in the mail.

The first thing I wanted to do was see the signal generator. I thought that would be a super nifty thing to have. I hooked up the nano via headphone cord to a Lepai 2020A+ amp hooked to a small test speaker. After fiddling with the menu I found I could make several signals, ranging from 10hz to well over 5 khz. The speaker wasn't having a lot of output, and after some reading I plugged the audio cord into both the signal out port and the signal in port. Bam! It started reading the frequency, and after messing with the display I started to see a very clear wave. A square wave. Aren't square waves really not good for speakers? I don't know. I didn't really want a square wave, so I used my ipod with the Kicker U app to put test tones into it, and they were reading just fine.

Problem #1. I was unable, through any means, to turn off the signal generator. I don't know if thats a bad thing, but there is no way to stop it. Oh well.

The biggest problem though is that the nano stopped working altogether.

From this screen, you can see that the right hand side has the various menus. Navigating to them and then pressing ok opened them. My nano will not let me scroll up or down at all inside these menus anymore (in this picture I am pressing up and down on the keys, and nothing is happening). After 20 minutes of working it has completely stopped on me! I can't change any settings, alter any axis, or really do anything but stare at the stupid screen. I'm blown away.

I thought I would try upgrading the firmware, because many people said it was useless without a firmware upgrade, but even that is a nightmare. I can't get the nano to mount to my computer at all, the firmware is impossible to find (the site sends you to an outdated forum written in chinese), and I haven't found any solution.

Im guessing the firmware is junk because the nano itself asks for button inputs that don't even exist on the nano v3:

I have my suspicions that it has to do with the "B" button on the top. I have no idea what the crap that does, but "quick adjust" sounds like "take away user control" to me.

Basically i'm at a loss and can't figure out how to do anything on my nano, especially now that the left and right arrow buttons don't do anything and I can't navigate submenus. Right now the stupid thing is only useful as a crappy night-light for me.

tl;dr My nano don't work, I need help and my google-fu is not strong enough so i'm phoning a friend for this jeopardy question!

Last edited by swizard98; 06-12-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss788
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Sounds defective to me. Can you return it?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

I have 3 days to return it-Amazon policy. I was hoping there was someone could help me fix the firmware since there doesn't appear to be any physical damage. If I do return it though I will definitely not be buying another one...

Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Authorized Vendor

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss14115
Thanked 1,756 Times in 1,344 Posts
Feedback Score: 83 reviews

http://seeedstudio.com/wiki/DSO_Nano_v3
Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

It only took 5 hours... but I figured out how to change the firmware to BenF- turns out its especially hard to do on the Nano V3 because the software on the wiki doesn't work with the new LCD screen, but I found the supplementary files elsewhere that fix that problem. If anyone stumbles on this thread with dso nano v3 problems pm me and I can help you fix them! Mine works perfectly now.

T-fade wasn't kidding though... the newer v3 has the wonkiest controls i've ever seen, almost unusable. With the new firmware it is so easy to use-love it.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 AM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss32
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

i was thinking of picking one of these up, i was debating between the 201 and the 203. i might have to reconsider now
Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1629
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I know it's not a dso nano, but I'm so far pretty happy with my hantek 6022 be usb oscilloscope. Have to use it with a computer / laptop tho. Might be an option worth looking into if you have a laptop.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 PM
New CACO Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickgeezee View Post
i was thinking of picking one of these up, i was debating between the 201 and the 203. i might have to reconsider now
After I got the new firmware on it runs like a champ. Love the size and metal case to it.

Oscilloscopes are fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement