Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Brazil vs. Korea vs. "'Merica". SPL round

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  TaylorFade 
#1 ·
Since I was bench testing the Banda ICE 4000, I decided to pit it against some similarly sized amps. In case you missed the bench test you can review that here... http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/...scussion/179882-my-test-banda-ice-4000-a.html

I call this test "max useable" because all I do it set them for max clean and then turn them up until they stop gaining on the meter. I record the clamp and score at the highest point regardless of clipping or distortion. Fluke meters were used for the clamping. I purposely did not use the AMM-1. Output numbers are sort of irrelevant here so they are rounded to the nearest 100w. I really only clamped to monitor things in case there was an anomaly and to verify reactives were similar between the amps.

Voltage drop is not recorded but all amps were given the same starting voltage of 14.5v on a large bank of caps.

(3) beefy 3" coils in a daily setup were used so that thermal issues were kept at a minimum. The frequency used was 50hz.

Each amp was wired to .66 nominal and each amp had similar rise to 2.4 ohms.

Banda ICE 4000
- 152.1dB
- 2,900va

Taramps HD4000
- 152.1dB
- 2,900va

Twisted Sounds 3.5k
- 151.6dB
- 2,600va

MMATS 4000
- 151.3dB
- 2,200va

See less See more
#9 ·
Never understood how an amp could make less power, but score higher on the meter.

Is that due to harmonic distortion, clipping, or something else?

I know the Brazilians have a higher THD

#10 ·
THD. Sometimes rail voltage. Say one amp does 5k at 10% THD, the other does 4k at .1%. Chances are the "useable" power is more with the lower THD power, as more of the duty cycle is going towards moving the coil, rather than dissipating heat, resulting in about the same score. I'm making up the numbers here but you get the point.

Those rowboat sized JBL Crown amps had an ungodly amount of AC voltage on tap, and would out score similar class D amps on the meter with less power/VA. A/B is hard to compare directly to class D sometimes.

And I just noticed that Taylor specified VA. I guess I can't read...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.