Uninterrupted: 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build (AKA Project Silent Night) - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs > Uninterrupted Build Logs

Uninterrupted Build Logs This build log section is just for the member to post pictures and descriptions of their work without the chatter.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Default Uninterrupted: 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build (AKA Project Silent Night)

Wanted to do an uninterrupted build log as well since I'm usually pretty good about taking lots of pictures and it leaves me room to ramble on. Any discussion about the build can be done here. Suggestions, criticism, comments all welcome.
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Build (AKA Project Silent Night)

Well for a long time I'd been trying to sell my Grand Prix and just couldn't seem to get rid of it. Guy offered to trade me a Jeep and I've always wanted a jeep so despite the Jeep having 250K miles I took him up on it this weekend. The interior is super clean and the outside is in good shape as well. Rockers are a little rusty but that's a Michigan Jeep thing.

The plan for the Jeep is for it to be a winter beater/audio ride. Trying to keep the salt off of my Duramax. As far as the audio goes planning a B Pillar 4th for 4 18's on roughly 8k. From my rough measurements today I will have 46 cubes gross to work with. Progress will be kind of slow because I'm home around 4 days a month. Plan to start buying equipment after the holidays goal is to be finished by whenever the first show in Michigan is. Will be primarily competing in IASCA and ISPLL. I always wanted a cool build log name even though it's lame lol.

Builds that I'll be pulling some inspiration from include, Galen Winesette's Jeep, Master Of Bass's build on here, and Don's TDH Jeep on SMD.

Tenative Equipment List:

Electrical
2 Mechman 320's (Probably Externally Regulated)
Full Throttle Group 31 for under the hood (ordered last night)
JY Lithium (Leaning towards 80 AH)
Electron Beam 2/0 (Lots of it)
ILL Customz Battery Terminals

Clarion CZ702 already have (unless I find a great deal on an 80 PRS)
4 Cascade Omega Neo 18's (building motors like Robs, PSI recones likely)
Amp must be under 8K class restrictions (Flatline B2A, M1S, AB 750.1)
McLaren Mid's & Highs (cross that bridge when I get there)
4 Channels (Really thinking PPI 900.4's)

Other:
Welder (Really want a lincoln Power Mig 210 with the Tig torch)
300 or so feet of steel 1x2 tubing
Air Bags of some sort I'm sure
BHE 4th order design
Volt Meters

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Like I said it's clean:

Going to be a shame to gut it from the B-Pillar back:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nkrell11; 12-22-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

The only equipment I have currently

The jeep came with the stuff to put in an aftermarket radio I'm too lazy to do it today:

Steel sets:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Ok I just wanted to share some things because I'm bored. This will be my first time building a wall, also will be my first time using more than 2 woofers and my first time doing a recone of any kind. Hoping to do a 50 not sure if it will go well. Also I bought an external regulator so that will be waiting for me at home. My friend is supposed to be machining pillars for the neo to sit on, but his shop is slammed so he hasn't had time.

When I get home around the 20th I'm hoping to get the new battery and terminals installed, do the big 3 if I have enough 2/0, gut interior, and maybe make progress on the motors if the parts get machined. Additionally I have to pull duramax turbo, install new turbo with upgraded wheel, full y bridge, and install shift kit (these will eat a lot of time and be top priority).

Anyway the day I got the jeep I got bored and decided to put the radio in, at first I couldn't get the radio to turn on, it turns out that there was a blown fuse. After I got it to turn on I wasn't getting any output I didn't have to look into but I ordered a new radio harness hopefully that fixes my issue.

Also I put this on I'm sure it's good for at least 2 decibels

In all seriousness I hate the look of radio antennas and I never listen to the radio. I originally bought that thing for my Duramax but it didn't fit (ended up just removing the antenna).

Old 12-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Well one of my favorite things about coming home from being on the road is opening packages. Sadly not much of what I actually ordered arrived. I ordered the threaded rod, weld nuts and a s**t ton of #8 self tappers tracking says delivered, but they haven't showed up emailed company today. Still waiting on battery have yet to receive tracking, if it hasn't arrived by Monday I will be cancelling my order it's a principal thing in my opinion it shouldn't take 3 weeks to ship a battery. Duramax parts didn't arrive either but they had to be custom powder coated.

Anyhow I did get some things at least new wiring harness for radio, antenna adapter, external regulator, Illz Customs battery terminals for battery under the hood and lithium when I get it. I will say I'm impressed by the battery terminals his response time was good and he got them out fast won't hesitate to take future business to him. I also got a used 18" basket but it has vent holes drilled below the spider landing so I don't know if I'll actually use it. Oh and my secret santa package arrived but I'm waiting until chrismas to open it.

Oh also I got a new phone that I'm getting going today, maybe it will lead to better build log pictures:
Old 12-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Well small updates are still updates right. My hardware that had to be re shipped arrived, lucky I was home to catch the UPS guy because he was definitely lost so where the stuff arrived the first time is a mystery that will never be solved. So if you need large quantities of fasteners or other stuff I'd check out Zoro all this stuff was like 50 bucks.
-100 T-Nuts
-400 #8 Self Tappers
-30ft 1/4-20 Threaded Rod
-200 Weld Nuts
-Epoxy

Also trying to iron out a deal with a guy on Facebook. He has 2 320A mechmans for my jeep with a bracket. So trying to go that route as it would be a little more than buying 1 new alt so it seems like a no brainer.

Edit: Also was going to get the steel for the pillars of the motors but I've been under the weather since I got back from Atlanta so maybe tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Well more small updates I figure if I keep plugging away at it there will be less work to do in the future. So last night I drilled out my top plates and the back plates for the weld nuts. I used two different size drill bits a 3/8 to go the depth of the weld nut and a 5/16 to open up the top of the hole a little because the weld nuts wouldn't sit quite flat. Picked up the steel for the neo pillars today it was $40 from Alro which is the local steel distributor. Hoping to get them machined next week I'll try and get some videos or something because I think he plans to do them on a CNC machine.

In other news I ended up finding 2 Mechman 320's for the jeep used so I bought them, figured it was a better route as it was only a little more than some of the quotes I got for a single alternator. They're coming with a bracket but it looks kind of rough so I'll probably fab up a better one. Additionally I finally got in touch with Droppin Hz and Mr. Young from Full Throttle. They ran out of 65's and the one the dealer was going to send me went elsewhere. So they're sending me a Group 31 instead of a 65 I just have to make it fit. Might have to weld up a battery tray. So anyhow on to the pictures, nothing real exciting.

I screwed the top plates down while drilling them made it a little easier.

Top plates drilled.
T-Yoke bottoms drilled, by this point I was over drilling it was a tedious job.
20ft of A36 I only needed like 11 feet but I figured I can have some extra cut in case I want to run 6 subs in the future. The rest can be used as bracing or something.

I plan to cut the threaded rod tomorrow, I have a safety meeting at work and then I'll probably cut them real quick afterwards on the band saw.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Well Santa came in two sleighs today aka FedEx and UPS lol. My alternators and battery for under the hood came. Will hopefully get the battery installed tomorrow or at least installed enough for me to pull the jeep in the garage and start working on it. Not sure when I'll install the alts. Maybe one now and one later need to contact Mechman about some plugs so I can externally regulate them.

I need to clean the cases though they have a lot of belt dust on them.

640 Amps of powwaaaa

She's a heavy girl definitely going to be a challenge fitting her under the hood.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Well I've made some progress between yesterday and today. I figured out the radio problem (thanks to internet) I didn't even need a new radio harness. Apparently the my Jeep has the Infinity Gold upgraded system, the factory infinity amplifier has an actual remote turn on wire even though it's marked power antenna on the harness. So now it works yay.

Anyhow I got the group 31 under the hood but I definitely need to modify or replace the current battery tray. Just got it in there temporarily to move my jeep around I'll probably work on the actual tray tomorrow. I got everything from the back seats back out. Lots of room for activities, may drop the headliner tomorrow I don't know. The drivers side dash tweeter was blown (just clicking) I think I might try and cram a super tweeter in there but I'm not sure yet there's quite a bit of room.

When I was cleaning out the Jeep I found a Gameboy (doesn't stay turned on, probably give it away) and my secret santa stuff came so I'll have all the lugs I need. Anyhow onto the pictures as usual I'm rambling.

One seat belt bolt didn't want to come out so it met the sawzall.

Lot's of room for activities

Beefy factory tweeter

Free gameboy

Secret santa stuff

Last edited by nkrell11; 12-25-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Well I did something today with the help of my friend and his CNC machine lol. I went in after hours and my friend set up the program and after he got it dialed in I ran the parts through the machine and he supervised. It took a minute and a half to run each part and then I had to move the rod forward and pull each part out as the machine didn't self feed. Pretty easy just time consuming, need to sand blast the scale off these so that I can prime them. Probably going to order the Neo on Monday. I have diesel parts coming in so that will keep me busy for a while.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

Activity Longevity
4/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1340

Well I made these today. Faraday rings for the motors I should have gotten 3 out of the piece of aluminum that I had but I messed one up so I will order another foot for the last two rings. I will likely order neo this week, and search for a new job as I'm currently laid off. Jeff is printing me a shim and some forked pieces for assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement