Branham1127 Uninterrupted Build Log - Car Audio Classifieds!
Car Audio Classifieds!  

Go Back   Car Audio Classifieds! > Car Audio Help & Discussion > Build Logs > Uninterrupted Build Logs

Uninterrupted Build Logs This build log section is just for the member to post pictures and descriptions of their work without the chatter.

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 03:35 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Default Branham1127 Uninterrupted Build Log

For the people that don't wanna go through 45+ pages in my other build, I'm going to copy and paste the picture-containing posts from my original build log and put them here. I'm going to copy and paste them word for word to save time so sorry if something doesn't make sense. Pictures are the important part

Build log with comments is here
Branham1127 Build Log, DC, American Bass - Car Audio Classifieds

Well, I've been a member for quite awhile, usually my posts are just to bs or to give people advice. I decided i would finally make my own build log since I have had alot of the people I have sold to show interest in the plans I make for my truck. I tear down and re-build 3-4 times a year but I plan to make this a build that I'll keep for awhile. I have made more progress than the first set of pics I'm going to post show, but honestly I hate copying and pasting links so I'm gonna go at it kinda slow today and tomorrow. I started this about 2 months ago and was going to make a build log then, but I got WAY busy with work so I didn't make as much progress as I wanted to. Didn't want people begging for pics when I didn't have time to do anything to take pics of.

Sorry, enough of the rambling and onto some pics. First, the victim: 2003 Silverado Ext Cab

When I started this build, I had a toolbox with batteries in it and not the tonneau cover, but I didn't think to take a pic of the truck until tonight.
Equipment:

I'd like thank the good people at UPS for getting my wire spools to me in such good shape!

Need some power wire for the amp of course

Installed the tonneau cover to protect the amps and batteries

batteries that were isntalled in the toolbox
Some more wires run:

Nice mess of speaker wire that will be going to the bed:

Just to clear this up now, I realized in getlikeme's build log that the LLP was upside down, I will be flipping it over shortly lol.

I didn't get detailed pics of it, but I put damplifier pro on the inside and outside of all doors and installed speaker tweaker pads.

Mounting crossovers

Came across these while surfing the web, figured I'd try them out so my speakers aren't muffled behind grills.

Damn, not enough depth

Easy fix

Can't leave them bare, that would look tacky

I also laid the carpet back down because I didn't want to roll it up and laying flat it takes up most of my garage floor

Well I got carried away and posted all the pics anyway lol, I will start by flipping over the LLP tomorrow and hopefully make some good progress finally.

Almost forgot another crucial piece of equipment that I will be using

Smart guy from FedEx brought them in on a dolly and set them just like this, I didn't take a pic of the side, but there is a sticker that says "this side up" and points to the side that you can see (so he set them both on their side)

Box inside of a box?

More cardboard

Styrofoam

Pretty

Size comparison?

Beautiful

Just for those that can't tell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Uninterrupted Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Cobalt build log

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

A couple more pictures that slipped past me, Wanted some more battery power and of course the bedrug and duraliner to make the bed look a little prettier than it looked before. You can also see the start of the cage to hold the batteries and amp rack in the background.

260 amp alt to replace my current 220 amp

I have two 300 amp, a 220 amp and now the 260. If I get any voltage drops I have a triple alt kit and I will install the two 300 amps as well, so I will have two 300 and a 260 amp alt. Hopefully it doesn't get to that because I don't really want to lose the HP or gas mileage lol.
Last picture of the night, some protection

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

Took the upside down LLP out and ran some ground wires, you can see the 9960 up top, but its wasn't actually installed yet, I was just making sure I trimmed away enough of the plastic behind the dash to make it fit. (I did install it today though)

Problem fixed, was not fun , but fortunately the contact adhesive doesn't stick to the backing side very well so it wasn't as hard to get out as I figured it would be lol.

9960 installed, the little button next to the airbag control is for the bluetooth kit that is built into the 9960.

I love the look of the main menu on this unit

I noticed after I took this picture that there were alot of fingerprints on the screen, those have now been cleaned.
I also put the carpet and seats back in.

Added a bus bar type thing for front battery. Four of the power wires were already run from my previous build. When I added the two additional runs yesterday, I put the silver colored ring terminals on them so that they would match the others. I decided today that I wanted to run copper lugs so I swapped them all out.

Fuses up front, I'll secure them to some wood later, also shows the negative bus bar

Starting of platform for the sub box, figured fiberglass will be my best option for this piece so it contours around the wires and doesn't risk pinching them like I fear any type of wood will do.

Will do the fiberglassing and building of the shelf tomorrow, I'm too worn out to go any further today... I know I didn't do enough work to be worn out, but the heat really gets to me sometimes and today was one of those days... Atleast I was smart enough to wear a respirator when applying the contact adhesive or I'd probably be alot worse off.. Anyway
Time to get the grill going for dinner and relax

Nudez?

Will upload pics of today's progress in a little bit...

I woke up quite early today and feel I got a lot accomplished. This is what I was going to do in the bed of the truck (set it up to look at it last night after I posted progress). I decided to do it completely different though, pics will be shown as I make progress.

Forgot to take pics after the fiberglassing before I put the wood on and carpeted it . With the temperature today, it took almost no time at all for the resin to cure. I put down four layers once it was all said and done. It might not look like its 4 layers thick by looking at the front edge, but it is. I just didn't get the front edge as much as the rest of it because I didn't want to get all that close to the edge of my tape and get it all over the carpet. I sprayed all of the fiberglass with black spray paint.

I then covered the top with some nice birch ply. I used cardboard to make templates to fill the sides in and covered it all in carpet.. I secured a few 2 X 4s to the fiberglass with a **** load of resin and then screwed the shelf to them and put some more resin on the underside where they meet. This is a VERY sturdy "shelf" now and won't have a problem holding the box without moving around.

Once I get the box, I will drill holes through the box, the shelf, the fiberglass and the bottom of the truck. I will then use big diameter bolts that are about 10 1/2" long and bolt the box, shelf, and fiberglass through the bottom of the truck so it is very sturdy and harder to steal . (already will be heavy enough that it probably won't be stolen, but I like to be safe.

On to the pics, sorry I always start the day saying I'm going to take alot of pictures but when I get to working my mind only concentrates on work so I forget to take pics of step by step like I would like to.

Grommet, since for some reason I didn't think to put this in until after I ran the wires it made it much easier for me to split it in half. I then put an industrial epoxy ALL OVER the spot I cut, put it where it needed to be and held it in place until it dried into being one piece again. I then glued the **** out of where it met the back wall and also held it until it stayed still.

Also ran sub "speaker" wires into the cab and wires for voltmeter on the dash:

Forgot to take a pic of where I mounted the voltmeter , but my truck is at the grocery store. When it gets back I will take pics of it.
Rear fuse holders:

Decided to hide the VCM where I hide my Ipod

Had to do something to keep busy while waiting for the fiberglass up front to cure.. I have a new plan for the bed of the truck, will explain itself as I make more progress.

Tearing the amp racks off of the battery box:

Laminated pine box for the batteries to go around previous MDF box:

Sides of new box, used some Great Stuff to make sure it is weatherproof

Have a nice mess of wires again

Front with several coats of resin:

Top with several coats of resin and holes drilled for some wires to go through..?

Top piece test fit on, the black you see between the front piece and the top piece is weather stripping. It will make sense later:

Also, obviously I took the bedrug out and replaced it with a rubber liner. This liner is upside down but I thought the regular way looked stupid so I went with it this way. Well, that's all for today, I might be done and ready for the box tomorrow. I knew I'd end up going faster than I wanted to and waiting on the box

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

Where I mounted the volt meter... Looks like I need to straighten it out a little lol

To seal the hole around each of the wires, dries clear and sticks to just about anything from my experience:

Drilled pilot holes through and screwed the top piece on:

Sealed the sides with some Great Stuff:

Looks like I forgot to clean the toolbox out when I took it out, better get that cleaned up:

Much better

Covered up holes where the last set of power and ground wires came through:

Time to cut a little bit:

Spacers:

Didn't want to waste a new piece to make this, so I just turned three pieces into one kinda lol

Made it look a little prettier:

Removed the tonneau cover

Well, it fit before I put the carpet and 2 X 4 spacers on, but now it wont go into place. You can see that I got angry and beat the **** out of it with a hammer in the upper right hand corner.. Looks like tomorrow I'll be cutting into a new piece of MDF anyways.. I would just sand the edge to make it fit but that's not an option to me since I had to go and beat it with the hammer..

Gonna clean the garage before I get started tomorrow because I have let it get quite cluttered throughout this install and I hate clutter, so it will be afternoon before I get started. I will do my best to get the toolbox completed tomorrow though.

Forgot this one

Nice fit ... I now have my bed back! I decided shortly after putting the cover on that I use the bed of this truck too often to get rid of it like I did..Problem fixed.

Here is today's work:
Ended up combing a few pieces to make the amp rack again so I didn't have to cut into new...

The three pieces put together, holes drilled for amps:

Ran out of spray cans of 3M General Trim Adhesive, had to use what I use to carpet sub boxes.... A little more work but IMO sticks alot better anyway:

Carpeted

Drilled holes and held amps on with bolts/nuts/washers & loctite:

Amps mounted:

Actually fits this time! Also pulled the wires through of course

Got em wired up:

Toolbox complete!

I tucked the wires a little better after these pics.
I'm gonna see how hot it gets in the toolbox tomorrow and if necessary I will add fans. I may still add them anyway. Now that the toolbox is complete I don't really have anything to do until the box arrives... I may find something to add but I think I have just about everything I can add .

Well I had to do a little repair work today... If anybody read a couple weeks back (in another thread, don't remember what one) my brother has a medical marijuana card and legally grows pot in his house... Well it turns out the landlord came over to repair his swamp cooler and saw the plants and didn't like it (even though in the beginning they said it was okay).. He was out of town working Mon-Fri but they decided to serve him an eviction notice Tuesday... Fortunately he had a friend over watching his dog and plants so the notice was noticed haha... Well I had nothing better to do and he's family so I volunteered to move his house out for him because his boss said if he came home to do it he was fired, and he needs the job. As I was finishing up on Thursday (last load to a storage unit) my "battery not charging" indicator came on in my truck...

Well I immediately thought that one of my connections wasn't tightened properly, so I looked into it.. Turned out my alternator to battery connection was a little loose so I tightened it... I got in and started the truck and reved the engine.. The indicator stayed on but the voltage was going up, so I decided to Google my problem from my phone (had just disconnected his internet hours before). Came across a thread on another forum saying that when you re-do those connections you have to put it in drive and rev it to 2k rpm with your foot on the brake for 2 straight minutes to reset something and get the indicator to turn off.. My truck doesn't let me rev past 1.5k in this position but I tried it anyway and it worked, light went off!
Well, Friday I started my truck again and this same indicator came back on... This time all of my connections were perfect and tight so I investigated further.. I found this

Sorry forgot to take the pics until the battery was out of the truck.. At first I thought this could have had something to do with it so I replaced it with a new one I had in my garage

Well it didn't work and then I realized I wasn't being too smart thinking that would solve it.. Considering the rear batteries are still fine and all of the connections from the front battery connect to the rear batteries, this charging light wouldn't have came on if it were a problem with the front battery...I'm pretty sure this battery warped because of the extreme heat under the hood from when my radiator went out a few months back.. It has more than likely been this way for awhile and I didn't notice it when I did this build.. (the purple stuff had to have came out after the fact, because it wasn't there during the build)

So, I got on my computer this morning and did some more Googling... Came across the same problem on an Escalade forum (same or atleast similar motor and alternator). [Help!] Battery not Charging Problem - Page 2 - Cadillac Owners Group.. It recommended to change the wiring harness if one of my specific wires wasn't showing voltage.. Well this wire was showing .2 volts so I figured I found my problem.. Went to the local NAPA and picked up a new wiring harness for the alternator and came home and re-wired the plug
this is where the plug connects to my VCM.
I did it with butt connectors for now to see if my problem was fixed, no reason to take time on it if it wasn't going to fix it right? haha.. Well now the problem is fixed and I have a new, pretty, shiny alternator harness ... Tomorrow I will cut the connections I made today and solder and heat shrink them instead and zip tie my VCM back up. These XS batteries are tough though.. It has been out for quite some time now and it still hasn't dropped even .1 volts haha

Sorry for the boring update, but its progress of what's going on with my truck so I thought it fit in with the build log.

Well, here is what FedEx gave me

Home and un-wrapped/A couple pics to show how beautiful and solid this thing is

Wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but got it lifted in (alone haha)

Time to drill some holes

Only took pics of one side, but both sides look the same

All four bolts go through the box, through the shelf I built under it, and through the bottom of the truck

Well, if you read, I had an issue with the amp being in protect... I bought this amp off Psychoacoustics months ago and I didn't hook it up until this build. I never looked to see if it went into protect before today, but I think with the shady business I have seen on his end that the amp was like this when he sent it to me... Don't think this would have happened just being hooked to power in my truck... As I said in a different thread a few days ago, I was the one who failed to test it and can't expect him to fix it this long after I bought it. I will be looking for someone to repair it in the next couple of days. I was able to get it out without destroying the toolbox though.. I took the right side panel off since it was just held on by allen screws.. I then drilled the bolts on the left side until the heads popped off. I was then able to slide the amp to the left and pull it out to remove the amp. The right side panel is still bolted down in my truck and will remain that way

This was the only damage I was actually able to see

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

I couldn't stand sitting here doing nothing while it was hot out so I made a little more progress...

Well first I got a new, smaller pair of crimpers... If anyone remembers me linking the ones I normally use, you would remember they are quite bulky... I like that these ones are a ton smaller and lighter.. Much easier to use on 8 gauge haha..But they are better than the 99$ Harbor Freight style ones I used to have, these ones actually fit on 1/0 unlike the Harbor Freight ones.

Squeezes them pretty nicely

Set of wires for the first sub

Second sub

Jumpers for both subs

Don't mind what looks like food on the ground in the previous pics haha.. Its actually little pieces of a stick that my Chihuahua decided to shred as I was doing this since I wasn't giving her any attention.. Greedy *****! haha
The whole bundle

I noticed after uploading the pics that I cut the heat-shrink a little short on a couple of them... I will most likely cut it off and replace it on them... But maybe not, depends on if I remember tomorrow or not hahaha..

Well that's all for now .. Will have updates of wired and mounted subs tomorrow!

Well, not the update that I want it to be because my amp is still with Amp Medics, but I do have a bit of an update today. I actually did this yesterday but I didn't have a chance to post last night. Still haven't got my camera back so sorry for the crappy Droid pics again.. And sorry for the lack of pics, it was hot and this was alot of heavy lifting so I just wanted to get it done!

I drilled the holes for the left sub last week and never put it up here so in this pic you see the machine screws in the box... Fortunately I have an 18" Fi Q so I was able to use it to mark the holes, the Lvl 5 would have been a pain in the ass because of its weight.

But, here is my mess I made after taking the seats out.. I was able to drill the holes for the left sub just fine but not the right... Where my center console is I wouldn't have been able to get to 2 of the holes. But to take the console out, of course, I had to take both seats out. Here she is bare-ish

The hardware

They are about 3 inches too long lol.. The hardware store I went to my only options were 1.5" or 4.5" and 1.5" wouldn't have been enough. I didn't want to run across town to get shorter ones so I figured these would do the trick.

Crappy close-up of left sub machine screws, I used an actual sub (Fi Q) to make the holes... I'm really not sure why I put the mounting gasket on there after drilling lol

Connections made on the inside of the box

On the outside the coils read .8 ohms

Little too long lol but will work

Yes, I did heat the heat shrink after this pic lol

And the end result

I didn't think it was necessary to take any pics of the seats going back in or of the truck put back together since ya'll have seen the rest of the truck.. But its all together awaiting the amp now. Box is STURDY... No matter how hard I try I can not get the thing to move at all

Well another small update.. Today I cleaned the inside of my truck (didn't take pics as everyone has seen a clean truck lol) and put some "come steal me" signs up haha.. I like to have stickers though so don't really care about people that say you shouldn't use audio stickers.. I have a high end alarm and I wake up very very easily

Then of course, have to make sure the passengers are well informed

Just noticed the messed up corner there.. I'm gonna go out and fix that right now.

Found out that the amp was blown when I received it...

To dman.. Ya too bad it isn't a perfect world.. Its my understanding that the board is burned all over from shitty soldering, parts were put on completely wrong and alot of mismatched parts are inside of the amp as well.. I know how to install but I know nothing about the internals of amps so I could be wrong about this but I think you'll know what I'm talking about lol. Db-r said something along the line of people cutting fets (i think the fets) off and putting new ones on top of the old legs and this was done as well.. These are the only internals I have of the amp since it is in FL right now

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

Well I installed the 9887 a few days ago so I had music in my truck. Today I realized my new dash kit that was supposed to be able to fit the 9887 and EQ came in yesterday's mail. Well the dash kit didn't fit the EQ so I got out my Dremel and made it fit haha. Its too hot outside to do anything else so tomorrow I'll take some black silicone and fill in the top edge that looks kinda tacky.. I put some on it before I did the install but it stretched enough to mess it up. It also appears level in person so I'm thinking that its just the camera angle that makes the right side of the EQ look a little higher. This is what the dash looks like now

Around the buttons of the EQ light up blue so hopefully with the combination of that and my deck it isn't too bright at night lol. IMO it actually sounds far better than the 9960 did. At first I wasn't happy about going back to this deck but now I'm okay with it because it really does sound much cleaner. Still mad the money that I'm out and hope to get that resolved soon though...

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-15-2010, 06:10 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

It obviously isn't dark out yet so the Alpine buttons aren't as bright as they usually are, but here's a general idea of how it looks lit up

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

Truck wasn't noticeable enough, had to change that

Is there ever a time when you're putting a decal on that the wind doesn't start blowing the second you pull the paper off of the tape? Lol, it was a windy ***** out but I made it work.. Due the the wind and the contour of the windshield, I had to do the "American Bass" one letter at a time and cut the "excellence in sound" in pieces as well. If you look close the "bass" isn't perfect but its good enough for me! Also had to take the top arc out of it because it made it over the 4" of the top of the windshield law we have.

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

Well I decided to make a couple changes today. The speaker pods were made out of plastic and even though the back side of them was resined they were rattling and making the mid-bass sound a little distorted at times. Also noticed that the sub box was blocking out a good portion of the sound from the rear speakers so I took those out. With just the front speakers in it is just as loud and actually more clear sounding with the plastic out of the picture
Here's some pics of today's front-door work
Driver's speaker removed

Silicone was holding the pod on better than I thought

Pod gone

Door panel off

Speaker mounted in factory location, also converted it to coaxial style so it was easier to mount

Panel back in place

I pulled some paint off while pulling the silicone off . I'm gonna look and see if I still have any of my interior paint in my garage. If not I will order some and touch the door panel up. Also can't find my speaker grills . Gonna find some on Ebay tonight and order them. Called the local Chevy parts place and they said they can only order the whole door panel for a few hundred dollars, so I said **** that lol.

Same process on the passenger side

I also pushed the deadener back down in the spots where I obviously neglected to put it all the way down lol. (didn't take pics)

This has been sitting in my garage for like 2+ years lol, figured I'd put it to use

This is the mic from the Kenwood. I thought I took a pic of the new Alpine mic but I guess I forgot to. But it looks pretty similar and I mounted it in the same spot

Relocated the volt meter so I could mount my GPS where it was now that I don't have the 9960 intsalled

Used quick disconnects to make it so I can take the dash bezel off all of the way when needed (instead of taking the volt meter off)

GPS in place

I've had this for over a year now. It's been sitting in my garage since I installed the 9960. I knew that if I sold it I would regret it and it would come in handy in the future; so I held on to it . Looks like I was right!

Still waiting on my amp

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Old 08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
CACO Supporter

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2107

Well I decided to embark on a new project today

Step 1. Masked off the first panel so I didn't make a mess...

Step 2. Made a huge ****ing mess

Step 3. Pull head out of ass and use brain properly

(much easier and much less messy when you take the panel OFF to do this)
Step 4. Start to make molds

I know my outlines aren't perfect, I'm not good at drawing things, I will fix the shape with my handy tools

I'm going to let these molds sit overnight, I'll start making the shape of them tomorrow. Bare with me, I haven't done fiberglass work in about 10 months and its not one of my strong points lol. But I am a perfectionist so this could take awhile

Uninterrupted Build log:

New Cobalt build log

Sponsored Links
Advertisement