I decided that I would bring over the Pioneer equipment that I had in my Saturn, this meant I have 5.1 DTS and Dolby Music II available. So I start with the biggest stealth challenge, getting my center channel without just putting Pioneer's center speaker pod on the dash.
This is what I did with my Saturn and I hated how it looked. Sounded great, just looked too non OEM for my liking. I thought about installing my center channel into the center vents of my Stealth. I read about this being done on another 3S owner's Stereo page. So I spent the whole summer with them closed to see if I could do without them, I didn't miss them at all so I picked up another center vent piece and went to work.
The biggest problem was to find a speaker that would fit there and give the fullest sound possible. I based my driver selection with the Freq. response that the Pioneer speaker pod had, according to Pioneer the speaker pod has a Freq range of 140Hz ~ 30kHz.
I found a Tang Band speaker that has a Freq range of 150Hz ~ 20,000kHz, I figured that this would be close enough plus the shape of this speaker is what appealed to me the most. It's dimensions are 2"x3" with a cutout of 1-13/16" x 3-3/8". I ended up sanding the long side of the speaker flanges down to get them to fit how I wanted but I think I achieved success.
I started by cutting the duct of the center vent like so:
I removed the metal clips that lock this vent into the dash before I cut it in two. After sanding, sanding, and more sanding, I was able to squeeze these into the opening of the vent, it is almost a perfect fit. The grills of the vent lock the speakers from moving forward.
Here is a couple pictures:
I will use Gorilla tape to join the two pieces back together once I get the back half of the vent sealed off and stuffed with Poly fill . I will also take non-drying modeling clay to seal off the backs of the speakers from the front.
Here is a rear shot:
Once I get baffle sealed off, I will wire them up in series and tape the two pieces back together. The best part is this will still remove like it should and I can replace the speakers should I blow them.
I sealed the speaker baffle with clay on both sides, I managed to form the clay on the front side to make the front opening shaped like a horn:
Then I took the vents out and covered them. So here is the finished product:
VERY "stealthy" right?
At this point I realized that I can not access the retaining clips behind the vent grills to remove the center vent in case I ever need to service the speakers, so I tried installing my center channel without them, turns out that the vent is lodged in the very good and I was able to remove the metal retaining clips.
From there I cut about a 1/2" off the back side of the duct. I didn't want the speaker terminals interfering with the air ducts. I then cut a plug for the rear from a plastic cutting board, glued it into place and added clay to the joint and surface of the duct to reduce any resonance that may have happened otherwise.
You can also see the nuts & bolts i used to make my speaker terminals. I wired the speakers together in series making the Ohm load 8 Ohms and 30 W RMS, I will be powering 100 W RMS to them, I like head room.
Stuffed some poly fill into the enclosure and taped the two halves together with Gorilla tape. Color the "-" nut with a Sharpie this is what the back looks like:
I have been able to audition my creation by hooking it up to my home theater right channel. Gave it a listen for a little bit sounded really good, actually it sounded better than the KLH speaker that I am using for my home theater. Noted this for a possible set of H/T speakers. So I know that this at least sounds decent at 80Htz and above because that is what my H/T speakers are x-over'd at.
I even have an Orion MaxBass to see if I can play around with the psychoacoustics to gain some bottom end, add the AudioControl DQS to the external processing, I THINK I should be able to make it sound acceptable.