Car Audio Classifieds! banner

box size

598 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  So Low 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some suggestions. I have 2 kicker Comp R 15 with a Directed D2400. They are each in prefab boxes (shaped like dog houses) and they sound ok. I want deeper bass. What kind of box do you guys recommend: sealed or ported. I have no experience building boxes but I have a friend who will build the box for cheap but he told me to send him the measurements. This is going in the trunk of my 2005 corolla. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. The subs are for daily use.

#7 ·
Get rid of those Kicker subs and get something better...I mean if you can :)

Seriously tho, your gonna love another brand better and have better output. Right now, I can see SA 15's for 125 bucks.

#8 ·
as long as they didnt change the cvr much ported at around 3-3.5 cf each tuned around 34 should get it going well
you may need to build the box in the trunk but it can be done and should be decently loud.
you could always build a nice box and swap the woofers later. those should do well in a fairly common size box for 2 15's

#10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I wish I could change my subs but where I live they mostly sell kicker or audiopipe. Shipping a woofer here would be pretty expensive. I'll see if I can buy the materials and build a good box. I don't have any experience with building boxes, how long should I make the port ?

#11 ·
Does your friend simply fabricate boxes or does he understand the #s behind it as well? For example, at any given tuning you need a desirable square area of port as well. I'd guess in your application that 13-14^2 would be fine. So depending on volume, let's say 3.0 cu, you need to multiply that by desired port area, let's say 13^2, and you get 39 total square inches of port. So if your port was say 16" tall, it would need to be 2.4" wide. At that point, varied port lengths would increase or decrease tuning. I think that was your question?

#12 ·
My friend told me to take him the measurements and he would build it. Im not sure if he knows the #s or the proper length the port needs. I still don't understand alot of what it takes to build a sub box and am worried that my friend might build me a box with incorrect tuning.

#13 ·
If you wanna get a "general" idea you can use the RE box calculator. Its a little inaccurate, it tunes a little higher than it states. But it will design you a little cut sheet. Go mess around with and you will get a better understanding. Do like 3cu @32hz and 13^2 and bring back your findings so someone can confirm the #s

#14 ·
Thanks for all the input guys but I am going to build a sealed box for my subs and I'm going to use the dimensiones provided by kicker. I have a new question, has anyone used fiberglass resin on the inside of the box to help keep everything held tight together ? I know that my current box has resin inside, but does it help at all ?

#15 ·
I would not resin the inside of the box you are building. Square cuts with titebond ultimate wood glue is all you need. Use lots of screws and clamps until glue dries.

Reactions: So Low
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.