Car Audio Classifieds! banner

Sub Wiring ???

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Blackout 
#1 ·
Alright, I went over the help section & went through this area to make sure this hasent already been posted & cant find what I'm looking for.

Ive never had more than 2 subs, let alone being 4ohms so I'm kinda lost.. lol

Question:

Can I wire 4 8's @ 4ohms each to a 1ohm mono amp :dontknow:

#3 ·
Really, sweet deal!

Can you be a little more descriptive please or maybe give me a link to a diagram?? :icon_smile:

Like I said, doing it like this is new to me... :runaround:

#4 ·
hang on I'll find one for youz

#6 ·
here's one that actually learnes you on all of it,

#8 ·
Yes, wire them all in parallel and you'll be set.

#9 ·
Cool deal. Thanks guys!

I was looking over the diagrams & didnt think I could do that.. With me being the NON wiring whiz that I am, thought I better make sure before I mess something up.. Lol

#14 · (Edited)
In a series connection, you simply add the individual impedances. If there were three 4 ohm speakers (or voice coils) in series, the total impedance will be 12 ohms.

For parallel, if all coils have the same impedance, the total impedance is the impedance of a single coil divided by the total number of coils. If you have two 4 ohm coils connected in parallel, the total impedance is 4/2 or 2 ohms.

Then with series parallel, my understanding only goes so far. Lets say you have 4 4 ohm dvc subs for a total of 8 4 ohm coils. I would think of them as 2 separate entities (2 sets of 2 4 ohm DVC subs) wiring each set as series would give you two 16 ohm loads, then you would wire the two sets together in parallel you end up with an 8 ohm load (that is if I am doing the math correctly).

#18 ·
It really depends on what amp you have, some amps work fine, some need to be modified, most amps will just go into protect mode and/or overheat. Yes you can destroy your amp by running it at 0.5 ohms, but then again, it all depends on the amp you have.

One added note, running a 1 ohm stable amp at 0.5 ohms and then proceeding to fry it is most definatly not covered by warranty.

#19 ·
Lol... Yeah, I know that.

Eh, I can still run @ 2ohms, was just trying to get the most I can out of my amp.

I should have made it clear from the get go when asking this question then I might not be in this situation.. :nod:

Thanks alot for your help man...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.