Car Audio Classifieds! banner

I have a noisy spider on a new cone...

487 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Pillow 
#1 ·
Is that normal?

Really the spider is stiff enough where it "crackles" when pushed in and out.

Even with the sub playing you can hear the crackles. Not in a box yet, so that would make a difference for sure.

Just to clarify: there is no coil rub or anything like that.

Maybe I just need to break it in slowly and relax a bit? This spider is a little bit stiffer than what I usually get.

Thanks!!!

#4 · (Edited)
This is a Hybrid creation 12D2. The motor is a TC Sounds 3HP Neo. The basket is Rockford Fosgate with a stiff single 8.25" spider "BlackJack", a pulp cone, an AQ paper dust cap, and a regular rolled surround. Created by Robot Underground to be a bolt on for 3HP motors.

How about some pics :)

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, that is correct.

I know opinions vary on RU stuff, but over the years on my smaller purchases I have been pleased. The work on this assembly seems very good IMO - minus the glue job on the cap, but I knew about that when purchasing... Some things I question, but it performs well in my quick test in free air.

... Frankly even with the overgluing on the dust cap it is a much nicer build than the last PAP rebuild a tore apart!!!

The two items I question are:
1. Look at the soft velcro as a dampener for the tinsel leads... This is either genius or a waste. Dunno.
2. It seems to me that the coil is not set deep enough into the motor. ~1" sits outside the motor. Again dunno if this is good or bad. This should be evident from the photos.

#8 ·
Yes, that is correct... More people are on e-bay than I realized ;)

Again it seems to be of good build quality in general so no complaints there regarding workmanship. I think the pictures will illustrate that for all to see and judge.

#11 ·
Thanks guys!!!

I will just let it settle in and let it work out on its own.

Again for the price and quality I am very pleased so far with this RU product.

The assembly was very well packaged as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.