Car Audio Classifieds! banner

JL audio?

941 views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  HazeGrey75 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. I had a few questions about JL audio. I'm thinking about buying a JL 12W3V3. What are your guy's opinions on JL? Im looking at a system that will sound good and also be loud.
How loud do JL's get btw?
Do you recommend ported or sealed?
Should I stick with one or should I get two?

#4 ·
I have heard some say that only JL amps work JL subs efficiently.

Is there any truth to this, or are they just trying to sell the full JL package?

#5 ·
JL audio makes good quality products, but their prices are rather high. If you are paying retail (or anywhere near it) then they're not a good value, but if you can get a big discount, then go for it.

Make sure to compare prices though. Just because your friend owns the shop doesn't mean they will be a deal.

#6 ·
well the general consensus on JL is they are quality but u can get the same quality for cheaper...

I got a JL 1000/1 and 2 8" W7's for dirt cheap and couldnt be happier with them compared to the competition. People say bad things about em constantly on here, but as soon as they are up for sale on CACO people jump all over them like they are going out of style.

If bought for a good price i would do it.. they also have pretty good resale and alot of people want em... Expect good SQ and will usually be louder than u would expect, especially if u put em in the right enclosure...

I used to bash W7's just for the simple fact that they are so damn expensive... UNTIL i got my 8w7's in on trade... and i havent parted with them yet dispite people offering me $500+ for them... The SQ is INCREDIBLE and i shocked all my friends (who have high powered DD systems) when i had them hear my new system, then popped the trunk and there is only 2 8" Subs in the trunk.

#10 ·
Those are some pretty good prices...especially sold from a dealer.

I'd jump on it if I were you and I prefer JL subs sealed in enclosures a bit larger than 'spec' or ported and tuned higher than JL's recommendations. But ported/sealed; they sound good either way and you'll be a happy camper.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes.

If you decide you took up too much trunk, you can always buy another box or make one to fit better and sell the used W3 here or elsewhere. However, if you decide on 1 sub, you'll regret not buying the 2nd for that kinda deal.

There amps are good but so is ZED, if not better. But tey will never admit that.
After reading this thread and following the links people posted, no way would I ever buy a Zed product or anything developed my Mantz. The pics of the rigged up boards, shoddy work, terrible repairs, and stories of Zed's used car dealership-esque customer service is enough to leave anyone with a bad taste in their mouth.

#15 ·
I dont hate JL products as much as I hate JL fanboys. They are subs and amps if you stay with the high end, but they are not the end all be all SQ componets. The W7 is great but the IDMAX is just as good if not a bit better. There amps are good but so is ZED, if not better. But tey will never admit that.

Is DD louder then my DC subs of the same class? More then likely... See its that easy

#19 ·
thats a solid amp and would be great... what load would u be wiring to?

#21 ·
I agree with bluliner,you will want another if you're a basshead like me,lol.im not a jl fan,because of the prices. but since you're getting a good deal,i would jump on it,and in a year or two...if you decide to sell,put it on craigslist for the same price,some jackass will pay it...assuming you take GREAT CARE of your stuff.

#23 ·
JL audio is a great company, they put alot of money/time into R&D on all there products. There retail prices are high in comparison, but if you can score some good deals there a great buy. Not designed to be SPL subs, but sound great and are capable of a good amount of output as well. If you have the room, a ported box built to spec will sound very good with that sub, and have a decent amount of output. Its not going to be real loud, but depending on your vehicle app and setup it should sound decent

#24 ·
JL's seem to play very low also.. my 2 little 8w7's are in a sealed box (1 cu ft per sub) and they hit lower than alot of subs (larger and more powerful also) ive owned in ported boxes tuned from 32-35 hz!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.