Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy who is looking to put a system into his 2002 Ford Taurus. He doesn't have a ton of money to throw into it, so I'm looking for set ups that will do well, but not cost a lot. Does anyone have experience with Ford Taurus'? I'm thinking displacement is going to be his friend here. He won't be able to run but so much power on a stock electrical so a lot of planning is going to need to go into the sub and enclosure for optimal output. He's 19 and listens to a lot of rap, hip-hop, etc so he is going to want something that simply slams rediculous. I'm thinking either going sub up, port back, since he has a trunk car, or maybe walling off behind his rear seats. I'm guessing for price and performance a single 15 may be the way to go. He hasn't given me a budget as of yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say $1000 max. I'm just trying to get some ideas together for him. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
2 type r 15ss and a 2600 watt hifonics......enough said

·
Boomin' Bull
416 Posts
I have a taurus (2004) and Ill tell you right now 2 15's are really hard to do in that trunk. I also had 2 15" type r's! The best ive come up with so far is two 12's port and sub forward from the trunk. The car tends to peak around 40Hz.

*edit: I personally dont like the sound of type r's in my car either. I had 2 premier champion pros that I really liked for a while.

You might be good going with 2 sa-12's or AQ SDC2.5 12's for a tight budget.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking maybe a single 15" hdc3 on an Aq1200D. I sent him a message on Facebook and waiting on his response. I told him if its in his budget that two 12s would be a better choice, but not sure if its in his budget. I told him to keep in mind that he'll need a decent set of front components and two channel amp to handle the bass. Do the hdc3s do well tuned lower or are they strictly meant for higher tuning?

·
Registered
300 Posts
What does he want to do other than the subs & amp? Is he replacing his headunit too and is he going to have another battery in the back?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've gotta find out if he needs a head unit or not. He may already have one. He's been following my build and saw I'm running a second battery in the trunk and he had mentioned wanting to do the same. I googled his car and saw that it has a stock 105 amp alt, so that's pretty decent to work with. I'd like to get him a good set of comps for up front and an amp.

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
NOT LOUDER THAN YOU :(
7,335 Posts
for a g you can deff do better than that. make the man happy. ss dtr 2200s are around 240 new. then 2 sa12s are around 350 to 400. then ^^^ battery and some 1/0 wire you are still under a g. still have some left to buy a good 2 channel and a nice comp set also.

·
Registered
300 Posts
for a g you can deff do better than that. make the man happy. ss dtr 2200s are around 240 new. then 2 sa12s are around 350 to 400. then ^^^ battery and some 1/0 wire you are still under a g. still have some left to buy a good 2 channel and a nice comp set also.
Yeah i know, just showed him the cheap route. ;)

·
NOT LOUDER THAN YOU :(
7,335 Posts

·
is strung out on QUAD
438 Posts
i can stand by that 1000! i did a set up with on running the highs on 1+2 and a set of orion xtr d4 12s mono and 3+4 and it cut up crazy i was in a bubble chevy caprice

·
Registered
300 Posts
OP, does his back seats fold down?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Does he have the digital climate control is his? If he does the cheapest i've found a dash kit for is about $190. I have a 01 sable, so keep me posted on any problems you run into.

Sent from failphone flashed with bionix v

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Does he have the digital climate control is his? If he does the cheapest i've found a dash kit for is about $190. I have a 01 sable, so keep me posted on any problems you run into.

Sent from failphone flashed with bionix v

i have a build log on a 2002 taurus...the climate controls were lil over $120 on ebay new...and the back seats do not fold down...if u need more taurus help, me and jh8909 both worked on and own (he owns) taurus's so we kno a decent amount

·
Boomin' Bull
416 Posts
My taurus is a money pit. :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As soon as I get the chance I'm going to take a look at his car and get a feel for it. I don't personally have any experience with a ford taurus so it'll be new to me. I didn't know the back seats didn't fold down. I'm guessing we could just remove the rear speakers so the bass can filter through better into the cabin then. I'm just planning on getting him a good set of comps up front. I was thinking a set of Alpine Type R comps. I've heard they do fairly well for the price. I think I'm going to get him to go with the AudioQue amps. They're a great price and do rated power. I'm reconsidering the sub idea though, I'm leaning more toward a Fi BL now. He wants slamming lows, so I believe the BL would give him a good mix of low end while still getting really loud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts