Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next upgrade (besides an alternator) will be the D1400 14 volt battery. My question is will it be compatible with the 2 12volt AGM batteries I already have in my trunk? I was thinking to make it my front battery since it's currently the weakest link. In the future I'll upgrade the 2 AGM's in my trunk to 2 D1400's...Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
no....you have to charge 14v batts at 16+ volts which would more than likely fry a 12v battery in no time.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no....you have to charge 14v batts at 16+ volts which would more than likely fry a 12v battery in no time.
Hmm...Are you 100% positive? I know the reason they came out with the 14 volt batteries is to help people that don't want to convert to an 18volt system.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Hmm. I would think you could put an MLA module on it and let it run at 15.3

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't mix batteries. The 14v will always discharge to recharge the 12v batts. Unless you could separate the 14v batt completely and that battery's charging system from the rest of the car, don't do it.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay guys...Thanks for the feedback...So basically, wait until I can upgrade ALL my batteries to 14volts and then I'm good, right? I already have the Mechman adjustable voltage module which will allow me to go up to 16 volts without affecting my cars electrical. So would that suffice?

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay guys...Thanks for the feedback...So basically, wait until I can upgrade ALL my batteries to 14volts and then I'm good, right? I already have the Mechman adjustable voltage module which will allow me to go up to 16 volts without affecting my cars electrical. So would that suffice?
Please let me know

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All 14V and charging around 16.5 to 16.8V.
Hmm...So if I set the Mechman adjustable voltage device above 16 volts my cars electrical starts acting haywire (some things will stop working)! I thought the purpose of getting the 14 volt batteries was to allow a person to use them without effecting the factory electrical. But you are saying I need to keep them charged above 16 volts :confused1:

·
Ja Marcus
6,975 Posts
Hmm...So if I set the Mechman adjustable voltage device above 16 volts my cars electrical starts acting haywire (some things will stop working)! I thought the purpose of getting the 14 volt batteries was to allow a person to use them without effecting the factory electrical. But you are saying I need to keep them charged above 16 volts :confused1:
16.8v is the highest ideal charging you should do with the 14v AGM battery. That is right at 2.4VPC. If you drop that down to 2.3VPC you will be right at 16.1v which should be fine for your car, as well as keep your batteries suffeciently maintained.

I always suggest getting an external charger and charging your batteries with that every few months.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
We have a lot of customer that are running 14V batteries charging at 16.5V with no problems at all. There are some vehicles that may not be able to charge that high, but in most cases vehicles are able to run in the 16v range. You could charge in the low 16V range from the alternator if you can top them off when not in use with a battery charger. Really just depends on the application you are putting them in. If you are going to be competing with them, then charging them up prior to the competition at 16.8 with the charger would be beneficial. As soon as you put a load on them they will drop to 14.9 and be ready to go.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
So if you had the 14v up front with the adjustable voltage meter is only benefical if you were to run a 2nd 14v in the rear for the sole purpose that you need to have everything 14v. So the battery up front with the module is the equivalent of a 12v running up to 14.9 opposed to a 14v running down to 14.9 so their both the same. But if you have the 2nd 14v in the rear, why would that one not run at 14.9 volts because of the module on the front? What would need to be done to run 15.0 volts for the front and the electronics in the car and have the 2nd battery in the rear running at 16.5volts for the amp? Would the amp use only the rear battery or would it use the front battery partially too? I have a gauge that reads volts from the PCM, would it read the voltage for the front battery or rear since they would be running at 2 different voltages? And lastly if I hooked a volt meter into the power portion of the amp would that volt meter be telling me the voltage of the rear? I guess I'm trying to figure out how would I see both voltages to monitor voltage drop? Or should I just put another 12v in the rear because this is all too confusing? I'm runing a 1500d pulling 160 amps and my 240 amp alternator puts out 140 at idle so if I'm jamming at a light the voltage will drop to 11.4 sometimes..If I just add a 2nd 12v in the rear would that solve the problem and theres no need to worry about a 14v system? How big amperage of a battery should I get?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
with jus one batt and ur jammin' on a red light, ur gonna have some voltage drop, but in ur case ur droping a bit low. many fctors, ur amp draws way too much, battery life, constant bumpin and driving and its around 13 but once on the light nd it drops. probably means you just need to let it charge more. turn down the volume a bit. adding a 2nd 12v battery will help. jus get a 2nd 12v battery for the rear. a single batt can only hold so much if your bumpin alot.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No soon as I step on the gas that shit jumps right up to 14.4-14.7volts and will not drop even .1 on the low lows like "Dread and alive" Pastor Troy or "So High" Slim thug as long as i'm moving and I know it has to do with amperage draw. But I still would of thought everything I have it wouldnt drop so low. Is changing to 4 30amp fuses an option down from the 4 40amps rated? Is there some sort of equation to figure that out?

Thanks man

1 - 20 of 23 Posts