Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im copying/pasting this from the uninterupted build log. Like i said, this car is going to take some time but will eventually be putting some nice stuff into it. Just thought id post it here too to get some feedback, and ill keep the other thread there so i can have the updates with no other stuff to look through. So hope to get some feedback in this thread. I know its not much special right now, but eventually ill be putting better stuff into it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a 1993 Lincoln Continental. It has a blown motor which i am going to swap out for another. I dont have the donor yet, hopefully soon ill have it. Other than the motor the car appears to be in very nice condition for the most part. And i got it for a good price so im happy with it. This build log will be for both the system build up, and the motor swap. So will have pics of both things. I do not have the complete system for the car yet. I do have the two DD 9515's that will go in it, but will wait to get an amp. This will be slowly updated due to not having all pieces yet.

Ill start off with some pics of the car. Not a huge fan of the color, but the body is nice with very little rust. Sorry not the best pics, it was just after i got it.

Im hoping it looks decent with tinted windows, with the color it has. Dont think ill be able to afford getting it painted so im stuck with the color for now.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the temporary deck it will just have a sony..

Here is the opening for the radio, with the RCA's and remote wire ready.

Since im only needing 3 wires hooked up, im not going to buy a harness for the car, just splice into the 3 power wires that i need. But i do still gotta splice into the power antenna wire, and dimmer wire i want to use also, which isnt done yet but i will eventually.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the power wires and stuff sitting around, so i figure i may as well run that for now, tho the car doesnt run, it will.

The 1/0 Knu KLMX power wire

Through the firewall

Running it under the carpet

The wire is ran and un-noticable :) I know, its dirty. Not worth cleaning while its being worked on right now cuz it will get the same way by the time its driven anyways.

And finally coming through the trunk

The deck is in and looks decent. It would look alot better with a trim ring around the radio, but i dont have one, and im pretty sure it wouldnt fit with the cars trim around the radio either. The sweet thing is the deck has the tilt face so i can angle it nicely, since the dash in these cars are pointed downwards. When i upgrade decks, angle face is definitly a must have on the specs list now.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the temporary 4 channel. I know, its a piece of shit wal mart amp. I honestly dont care tho. It amplifies my speakers, and does good for the cheap thing it is. And im not after SQ right now anyways, nor do i have good speakers, So does a great job for what it is and what its being used for.

I left the plastic cover on top from when it was new, and just now took it off. It looks brand new now ha.. I know the wiring is a big mess. I wont get that cleaned up til i figure out exactly how the trunk set up will be, as far as where ill mount the amps, subs, distro blocks etc.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tore the engine apart in the car, in hopes of just needing head gaskets. Since these motors are all known to blow head gaskets, unless they got the new better head gaskets from ford. Well, the motor doesnt look great so im gona replace it instead. Here are a couple pics of the motor.. As you can tell it doesnt look good. Will be posting more pics once i get the donor car/motor and do the swap.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No interest for my crappy "build" ? Haha.. I got a donor car for the motor, hope it works out good. I heard the motor run before buying it, the trans was bad in that car. Just hope the motor stays together for a good amount of time, and hope the trans is good in my car like they said it was. I can see a good amount of rust on the oil pan on the new motor, which i read is one of the many common problems for the ford 3.8 motors/cars. So ill be putting the oil pan from the old motor on it as im pretty sure its in good shape, or ill get a new one or something.

This is going to be quite the ***** and a ton of work swapping motor seeing as i have to drop the motor through the bottom of the car which isnt fun if you dont have a big lift like a shop has.

Once i get the motor dropped in my car, ill clean it up good and take some new pics. Ill prolly get some pics during the motor swap too. Cant wait to get a real system in it tho.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like alot of work ahead of you:)
A ton of work. All the work is in the motor swap tho. Its so much work doing a front wheel drive car motor swap, i can do a rear wheel no problem.. Gona take me a while to get it swapped over im sure. But thats first on the list to get done obviously. Cant wait to get the car going tho.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice man and alot of work to do but i bet it be nice looking.
Thanks, I think it will look pretty decent, the body is very nice for the year and everything, interior is pretty nice also.

Im wanting to get the windows tinted, but legal is only 50 fckin percent! Thats ridiculous. I might just get it darker anyways. I really cant wait to get an amp to power up the DD tho. I know what those subs can do :nod:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im thinking what amp/s to get when i can afford it. My buddy has a 9515 he was running a planet audio rxd2400 @ 1 ohm so 2400rms or whatever it really does. But he blew the amp, prolly cuz he was running stock electrical. But i feel like id be copying his shit, i know it shouldnt matter. But either way, hes got a lincoln town car, little bit newer, a 9515, and a planet audio amp ha.. So id like to not have the same shit as someone else. Thinknig about the AP1500 or 3000 for both subs, but those things are so ugly its ridiculous. I dono what else i can get for the cheap that does power. Maybe a hifonics, but i dono... Id like to find something under 200 new or used dont care, that can power up one of the subs pretty good @ 1 ohm... Hmm

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i got the donor car, got the motor pulled out. Took me a LONG TIME to get it out, a ton of work.. Its either going to be a little easier putting it back in having taken two out already, or alot harder, im guessing its gona be a bit harder lining everything back up and shit. I stilll gotta pull the block outta the lincoln, that shouldnt take real long, its half out already.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did a shit load of work all day yesterday and today. First pulled the motor from the donor car.. Then got the block out of the lincoln. Was a shit load of work and do not wish to do this to a front wheel drive car ever again, rear wheel drive is not so bad.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its not quite ready to be fired up yet tho. The oil pan on the new motor is rusty, which i hear was one of the many common problems with these shitty motors. The one on my old motor is in much better shape, so i am putting that one on it cuz im sure it wont be long before the oil pan has a hole in it and destroys the motor.

So, right now i have most shit done. I need to put the exhaust pipe with the conveters and y-pipe back on. Have to wait til i switch oil pans tho, or id have that done today. Get a new gasket for the oil pan and then do that. Get the radiator back in it, hook up the trans cooler lines and all that good stuff. Fill it with new oil and a new filter more than likely.

Then i can fire it up and see how/if it runs and see if there are any kinks or anything to work out. Other than that shes just about done.. After hours and hours of work, working on it basically all day into the night. These cars are alot of work.

·
Registered
13,630 Posts
Looking good you already have a box for this?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts