Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone just wondering if anyone has a high output alt in a 04+ Explorer with the 4.0 V6 engine? i have the mechman 3g 270amp alt and i talked to mechman today about getting an external regulator and he said that the inline regulator that they sell will not work on my alt. something to do with the regulator from the car that will lower the votage when at idle. he also said that i could ship the alt back to him and he could hard wire the voltage regulator to the alt, but he has never done it with my model of explorers. he said that the check engine light could come up and that he wouldnt know if anything else would go wrong so he thought that i should ask around on the forums to see if anyone has any experience with this problem?

thanx

·
Ladies MAN
5,551 Posts
I have a mechman 270a in my 04 Explorer v6.

Has an adjustable voltage harness on it that he made a plug for, with a Lil set screw.

Also have 14v batts now and run alt at 16.4.

When I first got alt in the batt light came on and still on, but everything is fine.

But our idle is set sooooo low that at idle no matter what voltage drops bout 1 oe 2 volts, but u tap the gas and it goes right back up.

Its annoying , I was thinking of getting a programmer too turn idle too bout 1k so it doesn't dip

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah i seen your video with the 16v. so you just have the new product that mechman has out where you literally plug it into the alt and then the car harness and the screw is on the side of the wire? he told me it was $99 right?

·
Ja Marcus
6,975 Posts
I have a mechman 270a in my 04 Explorer v6.

Has an adjustable voltage harness on it that he made a plug for, with a Lil set screw.

Also have 14v batts now and run alt at 16.4.

When I first got alt in the batt light came on and still on, but everything is fine.

But our idle is set sooooo low that at idle no matter what voltage drops bout 1 oe 2 volts, but u tap the gas and it goes right back up.

Its annoying , I was thinking of getting a programmer too turn idle too bout 1k so it doesn't dip

What is your idle RPM? How big is the pulley?

·
Registered
171 Posts
those explorers are just a tad over 500rpm at idle

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got a smaller pulley but its been so cold out i havent put it in yet.
when my ex is warm with lights and stereo off it sits at 13.7-13.9v
when headlights are on it will sit at 13.5v
when headlights and foglights are on it sits at 13v
but if i tap the gas it will jump up to 14.4 and same on the highway
its not the alt becuase my voltage is great when im driving its only at idle.

·
Ja Marcus
6,975 Posts
With a 500rpm idle even with the smallest pulley you would only be around 2k alt rpm. That sucks! I thought 650 was bad in my jeep:(

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think its around 550-600. its bad and thats how my other explorer was and the pulley helped but had to be on the gas to demo

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
i idle at 500 with my subaru and charge at 15.2 with my dc power FTW

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i idle at 500 with my subaru and charge at 15.2 with my dc power FTW
nice but its really not the alts fault and thats not what im tryin to findout. its the 04+ explorers stock voltage regulation system. i think it saves gas maybe or tries to prolong the battery life by reducing the voltage at idle

·
Ladies MAN
5,551 Posts
yah i seen your video with the 16v. so you just have the new product that mechman has out where you literally plug it into the alt and then the car harness and the screw is on the side of the wire? he told me it was $99 right?
Yep, he has a newer modded one, I have like the original one from a while back, but still same thing just different packaging

hey skip01 what alt do you have? 3g or 4g???
Hmmmm, that's a good question, I wanna say 4g, but don't quote me.

And yes idle is around 600ish, maybe lower, annoys me. But like I said, I'm considering buying a performance programmer that let's u set idle speed and getting it too like 900ish. Would be perfect

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, he has a newer modded one, I have like the original one from a while back, but still same thing just different packaging

Hmmmm, that's a good question, I wanna say 4g, but don't quote me.

And yes idle is around 600ish, maybe lower, annoys me. But like I said, I'm considering buying a performance programmer that let's u set idle speed and getting it too like 900ish. Would be perfect
if the back of the alt is black then its the 4g. if its all aluminum on the back of it then its the 3g, and thats the kind i have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey skip keep me in touch with the programmer if you decide to get it. and where can i get something like that and how much?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts