Car Audio Classifieds! banner

2005 Chevy Impala Radio Installation

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  05pontiac08 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am going to be getting a 2005 Impala with a double din radio.
I've been out of the newer car audio installations, so I'm not sure what I can or cannot do to replace the radio. I'm old school 50's-early 2000's installations, so I need some help.

This particular car has Onstar, but I will not be using it. I'll probably unplug/disconnect the module once I get the car if possible.

From what I've been seeing as far as installation you need bypass/interface modules to work with the vehicle harness. There are some for bypassing the Onstar, some for the CanBus... it's a bit confusing what I will need.

Because the radio appears to be part of the CANbus system, are there any issues after pulling out the factory radio? Security lights, SES or other oddities?

It appears that this radio uses a factory amplifier module located at the back appearance deck lid cover. I did see a "amplifier bypass harness" available, but is this needed? Looking at GM's wiring schematics, it appears the radio harness feeds the amp directly.

Is there a standard PAC steering wheel control interface that can be used, or is there a special module required for the CANbus?

Right now, due to funds, I have a Kenwood Excelon DDX-7015 DVD player that I'm going to temporaraly put in. It doesn't have all of the features I want, so it will probably be up for sale soon here.
In the meantime, I'd like to get the brackets, harness connectors, etc so I can make it a weekend project and get it going.

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide.

See less See more
#3 ·
well i got a 05 g6 with the factory monsoon, and all i know is you either A). get the bypass harness to avoid (B). getting all new speakers and amp, some speaker wire, and a day of time and go through and put all new speakers in along with new wiring.. factory speakers are 2ohm single coils, and the fact they are junk.. thats why i have 4 brand new 6.5" infinity's along with a 200.2 amp and a deh9800bt all sitting in the basement waiting for a nice warmer day. i went to install the radio last fall triple checked everything was working and correct and i couldnt get sound out of my mids n highs even though i used the factory plug that crutchfield recommends.. after some monkeying around come to find out you have to bypass the factory amp period if you using a aftermarket radio.

-in regards to SES lights and the DIC, you can buy the cheap metra kit to keep your factory DIC, or you can make the factory plug into the radio longer and relocate it in the glovebox or where ever so you can still keep the DIC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.