Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well currently I am in a predicament. I recently replaced my RE XXX with two DD 1508s, and in my efforts to ditch the XXX i received an offer of a Focal Utopia 13". Well, I have a few questions.

Considering I drive a focus, There really isn't any room up front for a 13" sub. I am quickly realizing though, that I care much more about SQ than SPL. I don't have the money to dump into something I will not be able to put to use. I am not going to compete. It is as simply as that. My options are:

Trade the XXX and attempt to ditch the 1508s (which i don't want to do). The 1508s are brand new. It would break my heart to throw them away like that.

I can sell the XXX for straight cash and use that to upgrade the mids/ highs/ amp powering them.

I can sell the 1508s and use the XXX for an SQ driver. When it really comes down to it, The XXX is a low end monster.

OR I can sell the XXX and attempt to mount the 1508's up front in the door panels. I recently saw a video of someone doing it with SA-8's, and felt a bit inspired.

What should I do? I feel like the Focal will not be felt or heard too much if it is all the way back in the trunk. Am I wrong?

7,882 Posts
youre going to like the Focal for sq way more than the xxx 12. as for loud what kind of power are you using? i think the focal will achieve exactly what you are looking for in your setup if youre doing sq.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Build a sealed box for the XXX because personally it would out do the dd 1508's and the sundown sa-8's in the sq department any day of the week. I can give you a design that will be compact and yield for a nice smooth roll off. Just PM me. Also if you want to be compact I would reccomend selling that RE XXX and then getting something like a tc sounds epic 10" or possibly if you want to build your own sub a single lms 10" with a tc-9 motor and a lms coil along with 2 soft spiders.

7,882 Posts
Build a sealed box for the XXX because personally it would out do the dd 1508's and the sundown sa-8's in the sq department any day of the week. I can give you a design that will be compact and yield for a nice smooth roll off. Just PM me. Also if you want to be compact I would reccomend selling that RE XXX and then getting something like a tc sounds epic 10" or possibly if you want to build your own sub a single lms 10" with a tc-9 motor and a lms coil along with 2 soft spiders.
but if he could trade the sub and not have to deal with the hassle of building a sub and buying parts and paying someone to build it, it would be alot easier. OP, do you have any knowledge of sub building? if so you could do this, or just trade it off for the utopia sub.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
but if he could trade the sub and not have to deal with the hassle of building a sub and buying parts and paying someone to build it, it would be alot easier. OP, do you have any knowledge of sub building? if so you could do this, or just trade it off for the utopia sub.
True but if he knows about building subs he could get a nicer SQ sub if he built one himself.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
you didn't provide much information. What kind of XXX is it? older model with the XBL motor or the new model? What size is it? Where was it mounted before?

Regardless, that focal sub is a $1500 subwoofer, and you'd be an idiot not to take it. Even if you don't use it, you can resell it. Duh.

Also, subwoofer in the trunk is what 99% of people run and it works just fine.

True but if he knows about building subs he could get a nicer SQ sub if he built one himself.

No, he can't. No frankenwoofer in the universe will touch that focal sub. Not a single one.

7,882 Posts
true, so if OP can build a sub he has that choice.

you didn't provide much information. What kind of XXX is it? older model with the XBL motor or the new model? What size is it? Where was it mounted before?

Regardless, that focal sub is a $1500 subwoofer, and you'd be an idiot not to take it. Even if you don't use it, you can resell it. Duh.

No, he can't. No frankenwoofer in the universe will touch that focal sub. Not a single one.
and this...

·
Banned
1,245 Posts

Is that supposed to be a challenge?? :D lol

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Is that supposed to be a challenge?? :D lol
sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

What I was trying to say is that the focal sub is like a ferrari, it's precision engineered and has a lot of R&D behind it. It's not reasonable to simply put parts together and expect it to perform better.

It's certainly possible to beat a ferrari with a home-made race car, and it's also possible to beat a high end speaker with one designed at home. BUT, it will take a significant amount of effort - just mixing and matching stuff out of the parts bin won't do it. It will take someone with the right knowledge, skill, effort, and budget.

Look at the FR on that sub. I mean seriously....

Anyway, enough of the off-topic stuff, my vote is for the focal sub and sell the 1508s to upgrade the front stage.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha that was a lot in a few hours. So the XXX is the new style and it is a 12". The Focal is a 13", and it is similar to what you posted, but it has the older soft parts (?), or so i was told. Pics:

The big thing with bass that matters to me is that I can feel it. I don't want something making my ears pop. That's just plain stupid unless you are competing, which I won't be.

As for the front stage, I just have some shitty old kickers running off the HU. I have a power acoustik BAMF 800 2 channel waiting to be installed to power the front stage. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I feel like the 8's will be fine temporary fill for bass.

The thing about the Focal that bothers me is, if i am not happy with it (even though you seem fully convinced I will be), I haven't ever seen one for sale before, so the resale worries me.

7,882 Posts
haha that was a lot in a few hours. So the XXX is the new style and it is a 12". The Focal is a 13", and it is similar to what you posted, but it has the older soft parts (?), or so i was told. Pics:

The big thing with bass that matters to me is that I can feel it. I don't want something making my ears pop. That's just plain stupid unless you are competing, which I won't be.

As for the front stage, I just have some shitty old kickers running off the HU. I have a power acoustik BAMF 800 2 channel waiting to be installed to power the front stage. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I feel like the 8's will be fine temporary fill for bass.

The thing about the Focal that bothers me is, if i am not happy with it (even though you seem fully convinced I will be), I haven't ever seen one for sale before, so the resale worries me.
thats because people dont sell them. lol. you keep a sub like that if you find one.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also had that in mind. hah. It is like I am totally split in my decision. I need the cash pretty bad, but when else am I going to get offered a $1400 sub for, what is essentially $250?

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I also had that in mind. hah. It is like I am totally split in my decision. I need the cash pretty bad, but when else am I going to get offered a $1400 sub for, what is essentially $250?

The reason you don't see those focal subs for sale is because they are a niche item. There were a couple of those focal subs for sale on diyma not long ago - in fact they might still be up for sale there. I think they are the newer version though.

Anyway, I think I know what you mean - if I understand, you want bass that is dynamic and lifelike, and can play with authority. You do not want a one-note-wonder with a very loud peak but poor dynamics. Is this correct?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it pretty much nailed. Im sitting in my car listening to the 1508s right now and they get down pretty good. But the sensativity on them is [email protected] I think. Not so hot. I have only really hear one decent sq car and the highs were hash as heck. Ik they shouldn't be, im just saying I have to true way to set my end goal if I go through with this. One thing I can say is that the 8s in a t line are much tighter than the XXX in a ported box.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Got it pretty much nailed. Im sitting in my car listening to the 1508s right now and they get down pretty good. But the sensativity on them is [email protected] I think. Not so hot. I have only really hear one decent sq car and the highs were hash as heck. Ik they shouldn't be, im just saying I have to true way to set my end goal if I go through with this. One thing I can say is that the 8s in a t line are much tighter than the XXX in a ported box.
Everything is tighter in a properly designed t-line. lol

=) The XXX is actually a terrific sub, so I'm surprised that you were disappointed with it. It's not the #1 best SQ sub but it's certainly a good one if utilized properly.

To be honest though, the way you use your subwoofer is more important than the speaker itself. It's all about getting the enclosure and its placement correct, getting it level matched with your midbass, then EQing it for a flat response.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wasn't exactly dissapointed, but in the box it was in, it was sloppy sounding. It killed the lows though. It also weighs a ton. And I couldnt exactly power the XXX right either.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I wasn't exactly dissapointed, but in the box it was in, it was sloppy sounding. It killed the lows though. It also weighs a ton. And I couldnt exactly power the XXX right either.
that's true for sure.... they're big and heavy, and they like power
it's not always the right tool for the job.

sounding sloppy was probably due to the enclosure and a combination of other factors could contribute to it as well. Anyway not to overcomplicate things, I think your best bet for a SQ setup is to pick up that focal sub, sell your 1508s and upgrade your front stage.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I may just get the focal sub and build the stuff up slowly. Cash is low right now, and another box may not be in order immediately.

What kind of box would you recommend for the focal?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts