Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Hope you'r doin' good!

A While ago I've started a thread to know how can I charge yellow tops properly and I got nothing but XS Power 1005 AGM charger and other AGM charger were suggested.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/...questions/162511-how-charge-battery-bank.html

I got new info from Optima batteries CS which is the Optima batteries are not AGM they are lead-acid with different technology, If you use AGM battery charger you will kill it no matter what AGM battery you use.!!!

If you want to charge Optima battery just use regular lead-acid charger at 13.8-15.0 volts and no more than 10amp of current, Let it charge for 6-12 hours.

This is ^^^^ what I just knew and I feel that I should let all of you know, As you know we are here to share the knowledge to help our great hobby BASS.

Feel free to share your knowledge plz, Correct me if I'm wrong too plz.

Any info would be greatly appreciated bros.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
962 Posts
nice information, but the 10amp charge rate seems very conservative. God knows how many amps go into it when its dead and someone jump starts the battery. Probably atleast 50 just hooking the two batteries together, then the alt is probably putting 30 or so(okay, completely made up #'s) in to keep the voltage at 14.6v after its started but the battery is still "dead". Very rough on the components, but I feel a 15 amp charge is fine as long as the battery is not under 12v

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
Some folks may already know this info. Sucks that Optima changed their ways on making their batteries so they last long. Now a days their not as good as they were.

Goes along with everything else we buy...enough to last a year or so instead of 5 years. Sometimes old school way is so much better.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some folks may already know this info. Sucks that Optima changed their ways on making their batteries so they last long. Now a days their not as good as they were.

Goes along with everything else we buy...enough to last a year or so instead of 5 years. Sometimes old school way is so much better.
Agreed everything is getting worse and more expensive than it was!

Sorry I didn't get it is Optima batts were AGM and they change them to Lead-Acid or just they change to poor quality?

Best Regards.

·
Premium Member
33,576 Posts
optima did not change the way they make batteries. they changed where they make batteries.

AGM stands for absorbed glass mat. that is exactly what is in an optima. I'm sorry they told you it wasn't.

it might not be as saturated as normal AGM batteries, but it is AGM.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it straight: Don't use AGM charger our batteries are Lead-Acid, Just use regular battery charger at 13.8-15.0 volts with 10amp max for 6-12hours!

There is guys claim that Optima are not gel/dry but Propely sealed acid battery and they are far from AGM or Dry cells such as (Xs power, Kinetick ETC.) IDK.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards.

·
Premium Member
33,576 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Thanks Sonic I always thought Optimas are AGM. How dose one know when their Optima is bad? I have a red top that has been in my jeep for 3 years. It has been driven maybe 5K during those 3 years. Probably twice a week and lately it seems to start the 4.0 weakly. It's resting at 12.5 and the volt meter drops to 10 volt when starting, also while the jeep has balls out audio going off while driving the volt meter is reading about 13.5 and drops to 8.5 when it idles. I have owned optimas since they were introduced and figured when they don't crank the motor over with authority they'er dust? The old american made red tops seemed to last 4-5 years and the mexican made seem to last 2-3 years. After reading the Hotrod article maybe I need the Optima charger :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So how can we charge OPTIMA Yellow Top?

I've read the info I gave and it seems that it's better to be charged by regular Lead-Acid battery charger or should I use AGM Charger like Xs Power 1005?

Currently I'm using the OPTIMA since that I have close dealer and there is nothing in my country other than OPTIMA!

I need to swap my batts to XS Power but Da** that would be 2200$ for shipping only!

Best Regards.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
So how can we charge OPTIMA Yellow Top?

I've read the info I gave and it seems that it's better to be charged by regular Lead-Acid battery charger or should I use AGM Charger like Xs Power 1005?

Currently I'm using the OPTIMA since that I have close dealer and there is nothing in my country other than OPTIMA!

I need to swap my batts to XS Power but Da** that would be 2200$ for shipping only!

Best Regards.
LMBO what word starts with "Da" and the rest is edited out? Try to find a AGM battery at parts house. The US has many AGM batteries for much less than Optimas now. I hear that they also have more plate area due to them utilizing the entire battery's OD's...http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Battery/_/N-acy27

·
Premium Member
33,576 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,576 Posts
maybe I need the Optima charger :dontknow:
you and me both.:evil5:

$200 is a lot of coin for an 'optima' battery charger.:confused1:
and there is no guarantee my dead optimas will come back to life.:eek:

maybe.. an xs power is a better investment.

the optima charger would be worth $200 if there was a guarantee it could revive one of the five 'dead' {less than 10.5v} optimas I have right now.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Saudi Arabia there is no AGM batts at all but I live very close to BAHRAIN 2hours driving, there is a dealer for OPTIMA batts, They have fair prices when you calculate the shipping to my country, They have yellow top 55ah for 306$ and 75ah for 400$ which is still expensive gotta love living in the U.S. To get some Free Shipping Deals!

I would like to thank everyone help me in this thread, Appreciate it Bros!

Best Regards.

·
Premium Member
33,576 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what do think guys?

Stick to that expensive optima charger?

If I can use Xs Power 1005 to charge my Optima yellow tops I will buy it since that it's usable for different AGM batts unlike Optima Charger!

Best Regards.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts