Car Audio Classifieds! banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Still looking. I would only consider Optima Yellowtop because I got a near dead redtop that I would exchange for. And it's a deep cycle too. Haven't had a deep cycle battery but may help in the long run. I'm looking into Sears Diehard also. The 3 year warranty is great.
If it were my money and the warranty was still good I'd trade for a yellow top too if that was the only way to get the warranty money. My red top is still under warranty and thinkin of returning it to costco and taking the cash to autozone and get one of their AGM 34/78 :nod: because costco does not carry them or any AGMs, plus I have 40 bucks autozone rewards too :D

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
If it were my money and the warranty was still good I'd trade for a yellow top too if that was the only way to get the warranty money. My red top is still under warranty and thinkin of returning it to costco and taking the cash to autozone and get one of their AGM 34/78 :nod: because costco does not carry them or any AGMs, plus I have 40 bucks autozone rewards too :D

That's the same group number I was using. What kind of batteries does Costco carry now? They used to have Optima...but not no more.

Looked at Autozone....Duralast just sounds too cheap to me.

·
Bass Enhanced
1,882 Posts
Who makes my battery:
Sears- Diehard: Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, Platinum AGM- Odyssey, Gold Advanced AGM- Eastern- Penn.
Interstate- Johnson Controls.
Walmart Everstart- Johnson Controls (Exide Contract Cancelled).
Autozone Duralast- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, AGM- East-Penn.
Pep Boys (including Bosch)- As of Aug 2012 Exide
Napa- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East-Penn.
Optima- Johnson Controls.
Varta AGM- Fall 2012- Johnson Controls in a new US plant.
Costco-Johnson Controls.
Northstar- Northstar and also distributed by Batteries Plus as the X2Power and Exide under the Northstar label.
Duracell- East Penn (Deka)
Rayovac (Batteries Plus)- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East Penn (Deka)
Deka- EastPenn

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
Looks like I'm not the only one looking for a battery...a few new threads about batteries!!

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
Who makes my battery:
Sears- Diehard: Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, Platinum AGM- Odyssey, Gold Advanced AGM- Eastern- Penn.
Interstate- Johnson Controls.
Walmart Everstart- Johnson Controls (Exide Contract Cancelled).
Autozone Duralast- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls, AGM- East-Penn.
Pep Boys (including Bosch)- As of Aug 2012 Exide
Napa- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East-Penn.
Optima- Johnson Controls.
Varta AGM- Fall 2012- Johnson Controls in a new US plant.
Costco-Johnson Controls.
Northstar- Northstar and also distributed by Batteries Plus as the X2Power and Exide under the Northstar label.
Duracell- East Penn (Deka)
Rayovac (Batteries Plus)- Lead Acid- Johnson Controls; AGM- East Penn (Deka)
Deka- EastPenn
Awesome man!! How did you find all that info?? Just did a google search or what?!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
back in the day my old red top used to hiss at me ( venting while charging ) piece of crap.
had a 84 vette with a yellow top under the hood / and a kenetik in the rear storage. dam yellow top would barely hold a 12.5v charge and i bought it new.
wasnt running more than 2k watts total either.
hated that stupid yellow top.

i enjoyed the heck out of both of my kenetik batterys until one day their resting voltages decided to start tanking and never came back up.

im about to grab a deka intimidator g31 to try next. can get local for 170 brand new $

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If im not mistaken there is only 3-4 different battery manufacturers in the US. Paying 400 for these fancy names is just what you are doing. Ill put my cheap "no name" 200 dollar battery against your 400 XS power battery with about the same specs and you wont tell the difference. Its like comparing Deans Milk against fieldcrest milk... you're paying for the name fellas.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
If im not mistaken there is only 3-4 different battery manufacturers in the US. Paying 400 for these fancy names is just what you are doing. Ill put my cheap "no name" 200 dollar battery against your 400 XS power battery with about the same specs and you wont tell the difference. Its like comparing Deans Milk against fieldcrest milk... you're paying for the name fellas.
So you are saying there is no noticeable difference between the following-
XS D3100
Kinetik HC2400
Odyssey 2150
(input any UPS batt G31 here)

Each one of those batts have different voltage drop results when subjected to a high current load for short durations.

I can tell you odyssey a few years ago was better at high current load until XS revised half of their product line and now the D3100 can handle it a lot better with a light loss of aH.

The Kinetik never could handle high current loads as good as XS or Odyssey and any UPS battery is not capable of sustaining high voltage during high loads in small packages like XS, Odyssey and Battcap. UPS batts typically need to be about 20-45lbs more to sustain same voltage drop.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So you are saying there is no noticeable difference between the following-
XS D3100
Kinetik HC2400
Odyssey 2150
(input any UPS batt G31 here)

Each one of those batts have different voltage drop results when subjected to a high current load for short durations.

I can tell you odyssey a few years ago was better at high current load until XS revised half of their product line and now the D3100 can handle it a lot better with a light loss of aH.

The Kinetik never could handle high current loads as good as XS or Odyssey and any UPS battery is not capable of sustaining high voltage during high loads in small packages like XS, Odyssey and Battcap. UPS batts typically need to be about 20-45lbs more to sustain same voltage drop.

This is correct. UPS batts have thicker plates, so less material exposed(Surface Area) in acid to create the reaction to make power. Better at heavy cycle use than standard deep cycle(Cycle Life). Also, there IS a difference in batteries. As a general rule heavier is usually better.

XS Power by far has the best build quality, uses virgin lead and they are heavier than any other group 31 batteries I have ever seen. They are built better internally, and have a much lower internal resistance. This means faster charge/discharge, with more current capability, and tougher when abused than pretty much any other batts.

Optima on the other hand, is overrated, well marketed hype. The ones I ran couldn't hold voltage anywhere near as high as just one of these Deka's.

I just bought 2 Deka Intimidators, and am VERY happy with them. Just throwin that out there for those looking to buy batts and are reading this. They can be found all over, the ones I run are from Clark's Auto Parts. Part # is AP31.

You can obtain the exact same battery from several other sources. Here is a list of rebadged Deka's!

Orielly SuperStart AGM AGM31T

CARQUEST NGT Extreme NG31

AutoZone Duralast Platinum AGM31M

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
Some years ago, Optima was the only name brand better than your average under the hood battery. It wasn't until later on that all these companies that started producing their own battery line. Optima was also very good years ago. Today they aren't. And charge you even more and has a shorter lifespan. Do you think they changed this on purpose because people weren't buying them because the one they bought 8 years ago still works? Like everything else they want us to keep buying so they can stay in business. The name brand was supposed to be better. Nowadays who knows.

Reactions: theFiverMan

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
Talk about going to the right place at the right time. Just got back from Autozone. Took my old Redtop in and the gu said he was gonna test it to see if it would hold a charge. Said no problem. Then changed his mind at the moment. Looked up the warranty for it and I bought it in '09. Thank god they keep reciepts on their computers....who knows where mine went. So...since it was still under the 5 year warranty plan, before they got switched over to 3 years, I was eligeable for a 70 dollar partial refund!! That's the best part. Even gave me an extra 10% at the cash register...not sure why not gonna ask but I paid 50 bucks for a 125 dollar battery. I was a very happy customer. Things such as this you don't come by everyday....esp when it comes to store employees taking care of the customer such as this. Made my day!!

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
Now to send my other battery back. It's less than a year old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for a good battery

My experience has been that the best battery for me is AC Delco. Lots of reserve power and they last. I just finally replaced mine after 4years
and the warranty covered 100%. They are guaranteed for 50mos.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I may still get me a yellow top, only to run my truck and smaller amp lol can get a good price on them when there is a sale

61 - 80 of 105 Posts