Uh...wrong section for the vid, sonic??

·
Premium Member
33,576 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Deep cycle & agm should be charged in 3 steps,
1.Bulk charge, C÷10 amps @ 2.55 per cell (8-12hours)
2.Absorption charge 3% of C÷10 amps @ 2.40v per cell (3 hours)
3. finish charge 3% of C÷10amp @ 2.55v per cell (2-4 hours)

Hours charged is based off of discharge & temp as well
C=20ah rating +/- .025v per 10° below/above 80°
Equalization charger should be completed every 30 days @ 2.55v per cell 1-3 hours *edit{after full charge is complete}*

·
Registered
18 Posts
An OPTIMA battery is neither a gel battery nor regular flooded battery. OPTIMA is a SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY AGM BATTERY . that is what is on there website. people say they don't last long for what you pay for them. but who knows if they are maintaining them right. I don't see why a AGM battery charger would hurt them. a AGM battery is a AGM battery I have never heard of a part AGM battery it either is a AGM battery or not.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs/#

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
I haven't had one issue with them, been using them for ten years or so.

·
Team SPL Farms
5,316 Posts
Id venture to say current draw was rather high when that happened. Saw a batcap swell up like a beachball once. Still held a charge and "functioned" til he got a new batt. Thats one benefit of a valve regulated ups battery. Yes you are going to drop a cell in the case of a catastrophic fail, but the valves pop up like a turkey timer so it doesnt do that. The best charger i have isnt my agm charger, i prefer my 500ma tender. Holds all my shit at 13- and ive knock on wood never had battery trouble on my audio cars

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sell these batteries and Iamsonic is totally correct. Everyone else seems to be talking out their ass and how long has that battery guy been selling batteries, a week?
I have not been informed by my rep that the batteries are any different currently.
In addition when I asked about how they would resuscitate a dead optima I was
told 8-10 hours at low charge state. I have Optimas in my Toyota Tacoma, Z3,
SL-600 , Ford Exploder( no misprint) and a 1989 Ford van. The van battery has been
in the truck for 12 years and I can leave the truck parked for 3 months and it still starts.
As far as batteries / alternators here are the facts.Batteries need at least a 70%
state of charge and 12.5 volts to start a car. Alternator output needs to be 12.5 volts
min. and max output of 14.60 to 14.85 volts is seen when testing. However, with a few exceptions, all alternators are regulated at 13.8 volts. When testing for a battery
put a battery tester or load tester across the terminals and check the voltage. Then
while still watching the load tester have some one start the car. If the voltage drops below 25% you need a new battery. Put another way , if your battery is rated as
800 Cranking amps) and it shows 560 on start it is toast.
Advantages of yellow top Deep cycling, no outgasing (no smell or fumes) no leakage of electrolyte if overcharged ( battery acid leaking can damage paint and eventually promote rust, Can be mounted upside down or on their side ( love to dothat in old pickups and Jeeps and they have 2 sets of battery terminals.
As far as the member saying the voltage drops to 8.5 at idle put your meter on the alternator and check the output. If it's also 8.5 you need a new alternator, not battery.

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
I sell these batteries and Iamsonic is totally correct. Everyone else seems to be talking out their ass and how long has that battery guy been selling batteries, a week?
I have not been informed by my rep that the batteries are any different currently.
In addition when I asked about how they would resuscitate a dead optima I was
told 8-10 hours at low charge state. I have Optimas in my Toyota Tacoma, Z3,
SL-600 , Ford Exploder( no misprint) and a 1989 Ford van. The van battery has been
in the truck for 12 years and I can leave the truck parked for 3 months and it still starts.
As far as batteries / alternators here are the facts.Batteries need at least a 70%
state of charge and 12.5 volts to start a car. Alternator output needs to be 12.5 volts
min. and max output of 14.60 to 14.85 volts is seen when testing. However, with a few exceptions, all alternators are regulated at 13.8 volts. When testing for a battery
put a battery tester or load tester across the terminals and check the voltage. Then
while still watching the load tester have some one start the car. If the voltage drops below 25% you need a new battery. Put another way , if your battery is rated as
800 Cranking amps) and it shows 560 on start it is toast.
Advantages of yellow top Deep cycling, no outgasing (no smell or fumes) no leakage of electrolyte if overcharged ( battery acid leaking can damage paint and eventually promote rust, Can be mounted upside down or on their side ( love to dothat in old pickups and Jeeps and they have 2 sets of battery terminals.
As far as the member saying the voltage drops to 8.5 at idle put your meter on the alternator and check the output. If it's also 8.5 you need a new alternator, not battery.

Being judgmental towords people on here that have experience with said mentioned batteries won't get ya far in life. I will go by what people have gone thru. Think of it as a "review", but not really a review.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Optimas are junk, why would anyone buy one and be like it's ok cause I don't put it thru huge draw or on a boat or whatever? It's ok if it's just to start a car that is all stock? Then why spend the money? For less you can get a Deka or Exide AGM that will do whatever the hell you want it to. I just don't understand why people are still arguing about the damn Optima, I guess people that are butthurt they wasted money and are trying to justify their pos battery?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Hurtin' Feelins' errrday
12,621 Posts
They're overpriced.

This thread was dead until a CERTAIN SOMEONE had to make a comment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lack of knowledge and experience. It does say AGM on the freaking battery lol..

I've been using optima since the mid 90s. I've never had one go bad before 7 years and I've NEVER seen one (out of hundreds) burn out a cell or melt in person.... You only see that crap on the internet from random idiots posting pics showing under hoods that obviously had shit installers. They usually last 7+ years of brutal abuse for me and I buy them (red, blue, and yellow) exclusively over any battery, if properly installed. I see people using side posts for high current applications that you are not supposed to, and the wonder what went wrong... The side post that melted from an old post way back in 2014 (in this thread) is 100% user error and they clearly state not to use it for high amp situations, although I have used side posts too as secondary grounds and have never seen this. Looks like a loose terminal got hot and melted is all.. Funny how many jerks cant even install a battery, but its true.

Even with only 8 yellows and 1500 amps of draw, I only see 12v and doing [email protected] and [email protected] and they charge back almost as fast as I drain them with my x3 300a Ohio generator alts. Optima isn't the most used battery in performance cars for nothing!

Love my optimas!

·
Lock up your daughters!
1,355 Posts
Lack of knowledge and experience. It does say AGM on the freaking battery lol..

I've been using optima since the mid 90s. I've never had one go bad before 7 years and I've NEVER seen one (out of hundreds) burn out a cell or melt in person.... You only see that crap on the internet from random idiots posting pics showing under hoods that obviously had shit installers. They usually last 7+ years of brutal abuse for me and I buy them (red, blue, and yellow) exclusively over any battery, if properly installed. I see people using side posts for high current applications that you are not supposed to, and the wonder what went wrong... The side post that melted from an old post way back in 2014 (in this thread) is 100% user error and they clearly state not to use it for high amp situations, although I have used side posts too as secondary grounds and have never seen this. Looks like a loose terminal got hot and melted is all.. Funny how many jerks cant even install a battery, but its true.

Even with only 8 yellows and 1500 amps of draw, I only see 12v and doing [email protected] and [email protected] and they charge back almost as fast as I drain them with my x3 300a Ohio generator alts. Optima isn't the most used battery in performance cars for nothing!

Love my optimas!

The old ones were fine, imo.

The new ones are not what they used to be. They're made in Mexico and iirc, they don't use virgin lead. They just cut as many corners as possible with the newest optima batteries

81 - 100 of 105 Posts