Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Edit: I took the subs out of the box two days ago and discovered that only two of them have been working this whole time. I thought it was odd that I was only seeing 1 ohm at the amp. So, keep in mind that all of this is only with (2) SA8's! Well, and a pair of passive radiators. Lol.]

So, I got my "little" SA8's in for my first show of the season. This is the first setup in this car so we are still getting to know each other. That's also the reason everything is still so raw.

After talking to Jacob, I made a few tweaks to the box and went with a single (home made) 8". I was running (3) 4" aeros but the single 8" netted me 1.5db even though it dropped my peak by 7hz. I know there is at least another db in this setup, but it was still good enough for 1st in Stock 0-600w.

Untitled by TaylorFade, on Flickr

Left to right. F3M4, The Fade and Bumpin Dodge. F3M4 also won first in trunk 0-1k and Bumpin Dodge (the Redstick Wreckin Ball) put up a great number and fell to 2nd to SpeakerBox. Team Redstick doin damage.

Thanks to Jacob for all of the help and making such fantastic products. Not bad for 4 little 8's and a "500w" amp.

P.S.- At the show, I clamped a Sundown 2500 doing more power @ 1 ohm nominal than my D5 @ .5. Take that for what it's worth, but I might be making an amp switch :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Awesome!! I get the biggest smile every time I read about someone trying Sundown and being pleased with the results!

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice work!!

do you have the inside of the port bellmouth'd also? And is it flush with the back of the box or in a few inches?
Actually, no. The box is only 9" tall so with the mounting ring, there was no room to flare it. It's rounded over on the inside edge though. And it's just stting flush mounted to the outside of the box.

PS: How big is your box ? I don't recall if we talked about that.
It's right at 2cf net. If I do any tweaks to this setup, it'll be to shrink the box some to try to get the peak back up. That's probably worth 3-4 tenths. Unfortunately (or fortunately. lol), I'll probably be adding more subs before, or in leiu of, hunting tenths out of this one.

There are a ton of little things to do to the car yet. It's still very raw, but I am really looking forward to this season.

·
Me > Lord Van
2,831 Posts
Awesome score!

Makes me want to work on my SA-8 setup. :)

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
looks good taylor

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edit: I edited the first post, but I took all of the subs out the other day and discovered that two of them aren't working. As in, zero reading on a dmm and zero output when connected. I probably should have checked each individual coil to begin with but I was told they were fresh recones and took his word for it that they were functional. I thought I was having "loading" issues, but that was just because two of them weren't even playing!

So, bad news is that I only have two working subs.

Good news is that the posted score was with only a pair of SA8's!!!

And a pair of passive radiators. LOl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts