Car Audio Classifieds! banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to burn my aq hdc312(Dvc2 At 4 ohms) copper coils after about 3 months of use with the same set up i used with a 2002 dd3512 for over 2 years. After i cut soft parts out the aq I realized that the so called "vented cross drilled extended pole piece" was not at all cross drilled. The hdc3 date of manufacture is 08/2010. Question is, was i shafted by AQ after false advertisement all am i getting it all wrong? serial on the magnet is 5001. Are there different hdc3 motors or somebody just forgot to cross drill the sucker?

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
as far as i understand its supposed to be just some drilling near the OD of the pole gap. Heres the only pics i found lol drilling doesnt seem consistent from the pics i see IDK

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
1st pic shows top plate cooling channel mistake that blew up on CA.com
2nd pic shows cross drilled pole piece that is in question

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Yea i didnt know too much on what cooling he was talking about. Wierd that it wouldnt have it, but ya never know what can slip through the cracks. Cant catch everything

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
call AQ

my friend owned the sub in the first pic, had cooling issues also and he burn'd his coil on an aq2200d with great electrical using clip light

does the sub have the holes on the inside of the pole piece like in pic 2?

·
Premium Member
11,704 Posts
The HDC-15 I have @ my shop does not have a cross drilled pole. Also 08/10 date -- may be a design change ?

I re-coned four older motors and all were cross drilled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's exactly what am talking about...The Pole piece has no holes that are visible in the second picture. Another thing i noticed is that the coil is covered by a flat piece on the top part i.e, If you put your fingers into the coil housing, they are stopped by a piece that covers the other side ( 10 cm inside the coil housing). This covering is NOT the dust cap, and since the sub was making some funny mechanical noises when going low, could it be the cover tapping on the pole piece. Am lost here, Is the sub equipped with 2 dust covers? I can't really think of any logical reason with the other cover, though i ain't a sub expert either.

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
The HDC-15 I have @ my shop does not have a cross drilled pole. Also 08/10 date -- may be a design change ?

I re-coned four older motors and all were cross drilled.
doubt a design change, maybe another issue with QC

That's exactly what am talking about...The Pole piece has no holes that are visible in the second picture. Another thing i noticed is that the coil is covered by a flat piece on the top part i.e, If you put your fingers into the coil housing, they are stopped by a piece that covers the other side ( 10 cm inside the coil housing). This covering is NOT the dust cap, and since the sub was making some funny mechanical noises when going low, could it be the cover tapping on the pole piece. Am lost here, Is the sub equipped with 2 dust covers? I can't really think of any logical reason with the other cover, though i ain't a sub expert either.
the "voicecoil housing" is the former... and thats a former cap, usually used to improve cooling among other things
(im guessing)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would just contact audioque with the appropriate pics and I am sure they will take care of you as far as a warranty heck they might even just swap out subs completely with you but you won't know until you try but please keep us updated.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We make design changes to our subs between production runs which we feel will improve the product. Some of the HDC motors will have the pole pieces drilled and some will not, the overall cooling will be the same.. During the developement of the HDC4 motor we learned some things that we really liked and will use on all of the motors including the HDC3's. We still have some design changes left to implement on the SDC2.5's and HDC3's which will begin showing up in the not to distant future.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Copied from another thread:
Copper Recone Prices:
10"=$50, 12"=$60, 15"=$65. 18"=$80

Alum Recone Prices:
10"=$90, 12"=$95, 15"=$100, 18"=$105

Prices do not include shipping which is $10-$15
Prices are subject to change at any time

ALOHA FROM HAWAII,

SKY