Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dunder Mifflin
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Design request for [name] Justin (bubba906)

Subwoofer/speaker brand: sundown

Subwoofer/speaker model, size, and number of woofers: sa8. 8" 1 (2ohm)

Expected power handling: I'm gonna hit it hard with audiopipe 1800 @1ohms ((I'm gonna give it as much as it can handle so I'm thinking 1200ish

Vehicle enclosure will be used in (please add notes if specific or unusual placement will be used):2002 dodge ram quad cab !! Box will be in the center console ((I pulled the center seat out ))

Max dimensions (MUST fit in vehicle or through trunk opening!):16"w/ 22" deep and 24"tall port must. Go on 16" side facing rear seats

Listening expectations (description):bassy chopped and screwed bass enhanced rap

What bandwidth is acceptable? 35-60hz high output, 30-80hz? Ignore if you do not understand / I love those lows so between 32-40 which ever will have higher output for bigger numbers (( I want to shock the world with 1 8" sub))

How low do you want it to play and how important are the low notes (Song examples are encouraged)? On my level chopped and screwed, decaf , low

Are you looking for a heavy low end, or one that blends with the rest of the output? Heavy deeeeeep

How important is sound quality compared to loudness? This ones tough ok so I would like more loudness but still a hint of quality

Are you able to cut odd angles? (45*, 7*..) rather not and no 45's in the corner please

Is this an SPL design? If so, what is your peak frequency? If you do not know this, please measure your average cabin length in inches! Yes/no I m trying to hit above average numbers for a single 8 but yet still be a daily !! My trucks in the shop I can't measure it for a few days but hopefully you know bythe vehicle !!

Any specific enclosure preferences (Double baffled, flush mount, center slot, blowthrough, home environment etc)? Just no plastic ports ie: no aeros ! Just wood!!! square Style port preferred sticking out 2-3"

Other notes: it's all going to be built with cabinet grade birch and titebond 2 and lumber lock to seal the insides
thanks

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Center console builds are tricky as 1ndatrunk and I have discussed. The center of a room is quite literally the worst place you can put an enclosure. Nulls in the response are to be experienced and room for gain is at a premium.

If you can get me cabin measurements, all length width and height, as well as how far from the front of the vehicle the center console will be located, then I can get a better idea of exactly how the enclosure will act at such an odd position.

1200 is also a lot. Im also pressed purely for a 6th order due to expected power handling but regardless that is too much for such a small coil.

Does the port have to face back? Can it face up?

Get the measurements when you can. I have a few designs to finish and Ill take a
further look at this for you.

·
Dunder Mifflin
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long would it take you to get to it ??? Don't wanna sound like a azz but I was looking to get it done asap as I have surgery and won't be able to build the box until next summer if I don't do it asap and I don't wanna waste our time getting measurements if your too far out !!! Hope you understand thanks

·
Banned
340 Posts
Expected power handling: I'm gonna hit it hard with audiopipe 1800 @1ohms ((I'm gonna give it as much as it can handle so I'm thinking 1200ish

Listening expectations (description):bassy chopped and screwed bass enhanced rap

What bandwidth is acceptable? 35-60hz high output, 30-80hz? Ignore if you do not understand / I love those lows so between 32-40 which ever will have higher output for bigger numbers (( I want to shock the world with 1 8" sub))

How low do you want it to play and how important are the low notes (Song examples are encouraged)? On my level chopped and screwed, decaf , low

Is this an SPL design? If so, what is your peak frequency? If you do not know this, please measure your average cabin length in inches! Yes/no I m trying to hit above average numbers for a single 8 but yet still be a daily !! My trucks in the shop I can't measure it for a few days but hopefully you know bythe vehicle !!
ok if you re-read what you have wrote here I'll explain where you will have problems.

• overpowering a 2.5" coil then expecting it to play low. High overpower=higher tuning.
  • The low tuning required to play chopped and screwed low bass note music isn't going to put up high numbers or shock the world.
  • again trying to hit above average numbers with such a low frequency band isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I keep finishing a few designs per day. Itll be ~2 days at the moment. I would really like to get measurements for the best enclosure possible as you will experience sharp upper end loss somewhere between 50-60hz and possibly a loss in a similar region lower due to positioning.

db1teggy has a point, a bit of your request contradicts its self but people give such requests all the time. If people play music through it, I generally design for audibility - which is why most of my ports are on the passenger side and not drivers in my designs.

·
Dunder Mifflin
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes in deed the port can face up or back and if completely necessary out one of the sides if I push the box back enough but thats worse case !! And I measured my cabin its 6' 6" from front to back and 5' 6"'from side to side

·
Dunder Mifflin
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna run it at 4ohms so it might see 800 or so !!!!! Yea I know the placement sucks but that's the sacrifice we all make when we have kids !!!! I have. Bass machine already I just need some daily noise !!!! Which reminds me do you design walls ?? I'm thinking of walling my explorer ?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts