Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, everyday performance... awesomeness...cost...

ass load of cheap 8's? or...
4 18's.

lets consider cost of this as well.

36 8's = 4000 wrms total cone area somewhere around 1800 in squared
4 18's = 8000 wrms total cone area somewhere around 1017 in squared

which is louder?

·
SPL Retard
12,327 Posts
Soooo many variables, but assuming you put the 8k on the 18's, the 18's will own the 8's. What "cheap" 8's are you thinking of?

But, the 8's will own the 18's in awesomeness.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
36 8s on 8k ftw!....but really, the 18s will PROBABLY be louder...ur only givin the 8s 111w and if there cheap 8s, i highly doubt the efficiency isnt gonna be too high, nor are they gonna be able to get very loud on low power...now, if it were an sa8, dd1508, or a dc8, id change my mind and say the 8s would probably be louder, even the efficiency blows on them

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pyle blue wave 8's, at around 20 bucks a pop, theyre about all I could afford if we're talking that many of them. The variables are endless though, youre right about that. xmax on those is like, nonexsistant, RMS is low, and i've head they've got super stiff suspension? It was just an idea, I'm trying to be ridiculous on a budget, HA.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, I've already got the 2 18's, for another 700 I'll have all four. those SSL amps I have are shit, gotta loose those, then have a new box made up for the 4.... it goes on and on.

·
Banned
150 Posts
I'd stick with the 18s depending on your goal. You said "loud" but that is a horrible word to use when it comes to car audio. Are you looking for SPL or to bump down the street? That will ultimately determine your answer. I'd say if you are going for spl do the 8's. Just because they only need to see the power for a short period of time. If you want a daily driver to destroy the lows I would go with the 18s. Also you might be able to improve your current set up with just a box change. If it were me I could find a lot better way to drop a grand than to buy all those subs. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd stick with the 18s depending on your goal. You said "loud" but that is a horrible word to use when it comes to car audio. Are you looking for SPL or to bump down the street? That will ultimately determine your answer. I'd say if you are going for spl do the 8's. Just because they only need to see the power for a short period of time. If you want a daily driver to destroy the lows I would go with the 18s. Also you might be able to improve your current set up with just a box change. If it were me I could find a lot better way to drop a grand than to buy all those subs. That's just my opinion.
yeah, i tend to agree with that. forgive my use of the dreaded "L" word, I could almost care less about having a TL worshiping fart box system, I want a street pounder and a hair tricker. 18's is the way to go, but im just dreading all the money its going to take to get them sufficient power.

·
Banned
150 Posts
If it were me the first thing I would drop some money on is a HO alt. Then move on to upgrading the amps. And like I said in the other post definitely think about maybe retooling the box maybe go for one shared box over two separate boxes. Just make sure you pay attention to bracing etc. That's just my .02

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ive emailed mechman, DC, ohio generator and iraggi about doing a dual alt setup.. ohio generator is the only one who's responded. the number wasnt absolutely shocking, but it's pushing what I'm willing to do. something like 900 for 2 300 amp allys, NOT including the bracket..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but I rely on a local box builder to do the woodwork for me, I dont really have the means or know-how to do it myself, and building custom boxes is like throwing money into a pit, im already kicking myself in the ass because i'm going to basically throw away the pair of boxes he's already made for me... gotta be for sure this next go around.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Well if you are really worried about boxes why not have someone like spy or decaf design you something? They will include a cut sheet and it's idiot proof. Also why are you going for a dual alt kit right off the bat? I'd say for what you are working with a single alt would be fine as long as you have a strong battery bank.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
id love to have someone CAD me up a design, just means I'd have to go out and buy power tools to do the job... probably a better idea actually.. Im just thinking the dual ally set up would be end all/be all. and by going with the 18's, my choice of amps would be 2 crossfire 4000s, which coupled with like 4-6 kinetik hc800's and a optima, would require a buttload of amps at idle to keep voltage steady, eh?

·
Banned
150 Posts
Personally I'd ditch the hc800 and move up to a bigger batt. Maybe someone else on here can throw in some opinions. I dont want to be the single voice of reason. Haha.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha, exactly my point. everytime i throw money at this thing it ends up being half assed and I loose a crapload trying and usually failing to resell the stuff. is there something flawed with the 800? or is it just lacking capacity, because that can be overcame by just adding more of em.

·
Banned
150 Posts
I guess my point was that you could get the job done with a lot less batteries. Like I said I dont want you to solely rely on my opinion. See what some other people say and go from there. My last word of advice is sit down and think about what you really want to do before you go throwing any more money into this. You will thank yourself later. I made that mistake and kick myself for it. A lot of the issues that I have/do run into are due to me rushing. Hope I helped you out a bit man. Good luck and keep me informed on your progress.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts