Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys gotta question i have two dc lvl 4's with lvl 5 coils and love em they are loud without me giving them much power but im thinking i want more

i know both subs are underrated at 1000 watts (lvl 4's and hdc3's) but which will take more power or get louder

that was one option or should i looking into getting a lvl 5?

im on around 3000 watts right now im no where close cuz im still using a stock alt when i go bigger of course that will be upgraded.

or should i just keep the 4's and put em on more power what do you think?

·
Registered
721 Posts
if they have LVL5 coils they can take more then the 1000 watts rms a lvl 4 can take.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i knew they could im just not sure how much more i assumed 1500 a piece thats why i got the 3000 watts...

im just looking maybe to do like a 4 or 5 k system think they can handle like that and i would just switch my amp and alt and add a few batts?

·
Banned
48 Posts
my opinion is it would not be worth it to switch. maybe gain 1 or 2 db, may even lose a db. just get a HO alt, and a few batteries and it will sound even better for you

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
The hdc3s seem to peak nice in the 40s, which lends to some nice spl in that range, but I feel that the dcs will be loud over a broader range

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah im planning on getting a ho alt no matter wat but i figured if i was gona do i might as well go big haha but from what you said these guys will do just fine...
maybe this is just me wanting everything bigger haha

hmm this makes me wanna get my car mettered now to find out how loud they actually are cuz ive never really sat in a heavy spl car to compare mine to the only thing i have been going off of was my buddy saying he has only been in one car louder than mine and that guy had damplifier all over his car and two 15's instead of 12's

will putting damp all over my car make it louder cuz that would be a option i suppose. i was already gona be doing a sort of "wall" with it by making a custom bourd that seals my cabin off from my trunk

i have mine tuned to 33hz at 3 cubes...i really can't go any bigger due to size restrictions but would tunning it different make a difference or not?

·
1337 M3mb3r
3,991 Posts
I don't think the lvl4 is really comparable to the hdc3's, xls are more comparable. Lvl4 with lvl5 coil can handle 1500rms and sometimes more. Pretty much did a direct swap from lvl4 with lvl5 coils and xls and xls were louder and I was using 2,600rms on the pair. I'm putting together some hdc3s and will see how they compare to the xls.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
enclosure is typically the single biggest variable...A dc tuned at 30 compared to the AQ tuned at 40 will probley meter 6-8db less then the AQ...BUT, there is always a tradeoff, that aq will pound like crazy between say 45-55hz but lose alot of output on the slope in both directions

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i had my enclosure designed by monsonwarrior on here and then i made it(my pap makes wooden furniture so i figured it would be a nice project for us). it turned out awsome exactly how it was pictured. then we used silcon to seal off the corners and everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts