Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ego Crusher
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question my trailblazer has a dr44 alternator does that mean any alternator with the dr44 case or what ever can be used ?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yes.

Now for a little info. That alternator's output is limited by the vehicle's computer regardless of alternator rating. I haven't studied up too much on it, but you might have to have your computer reprogrammed for more alt output or to use an AD244 alt. The AD244 is preferred since the regulator and diodes are outside of the case for easier serviceability.

·
Ego Crusher
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.

Now for a little info. That alternator's output is limited by the vehicle's computer regardless of alternator rating. I haven't studied up too much on it, but you might have to have your computer reprogrammed for more alt output or to use an AD244 alt. The AD244 is preferred since the regulator and diodes are outside of the case for easier serviceability.
So if I get an HO alternator how does it charge more if it controled by the computer?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm just saying this particular alternator, the DR44 requires the vehicle's computer, the PCM to function. On top of that, the PCM regulates the output of this alternator.

If someone were to sell you a high output DR44 alternator you would have to adjust the alternator output parameter values in the PCM to realize the added output. If not the output of the HO alt would be the same as the factory alt.

·
Ego Crusher
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called mechman the other day and got a price for a 320amp alternator. I dont know what kind it was though.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
if you need help call me 216 347 0700 i runs dr44s and used to run ad244s and i sell mae alts and you can always externally regulate it to charge whatever you want in a 06 and newer the car turns the alt on and off depending on if it needs it for gas milage but a ho alt will still do more and as long as there is a demand it will still put out raited amps and you could also have them put a four pin reg on it and have it turn on by relay

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
currently 2 dr44s 1 200 amp alt on factory reg 1 dr44 350 alt and 1 ad44

·
Ego Crusher
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone with mechman and they said that the 320amp will charge up to 320 depending on if the truck needs it and its a direct bolton replacemnt alt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts