Car Audio Classifieds! banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Ad ministrator
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain to me why I need 1/0 power wire?

My dad seems to think 5ga is to big and now I'm upgrading to 1/0ga.

Could you list why my audio equipment needs this huge wire?

·
Idk what Im talking about
8,346 Posts
what does your setup consist of? And 5-gauge isn't too big for pretty much anything besides your remote wire or for a fan

·
Ad ministrator
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My setup is irrelevant. Because I just want to explain to him that it NEEDS 1/0ga wire.

But anyways my setup is, a kickerzx1000.1 amp and 2 kicker l5s

·
8,346 Posts
Well, if you can prove that it draws 'X' current and also show that your smaller wire can only handle 'X' current...it'd actually be dangerous to use a small wire. So really it's safer and more efficient to use to 1/0 gauge on some level when fused properly..

·
Ad ministrator
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks, any way I can prove that lol?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wouldn't want to starve that ZX1000 and 5ga? is pretty thin.... especially if wired from front batt to a rear trunk....

·
8,346 Posts
Well, you can clamp the input wires for the amp and see how much youre really drawing...but you can just look up the factory specs and devide the power by voltage and see how much current that is (wont really be the current youre drawing for it but will be a ballpark for what youre drawing...youd have to factor in efficiency etc etc)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Distance is also a factor.

·
8,346 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Ad ministrator
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clamping it? What you mean?

Using a DMM?

·
Ad ministrator
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not going to pay $250 just to prove to him lol.

He just thinks that 1/0 is too big and that he could use that kind of wire to wire houses lol.

·
Ad ministrator
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to use a 300a fuse.

But I gotta go to work, thanks for the comments will bbl

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you want to PM me your email address, I have an excel file called the Audio Calculator. It has an area for you to input your info then follow the chart. Still not as accurate as clamping but still nice to have. There's gain control adjustment ... a couple other things too.

·
Registered
33,855 Posts

you probably have a 200 amp breaker box on your house and it's ac current not dc
dc requires more wire to carry the same amount of electricity so each breaker is probably around 20-30 amps each while amps pull more than that

·
Registered
318 Posts

A 300 amp fuse wired to a 5 ga line will catch fire. The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wire, .... well and equipment.. if something should happen to that wire the 300 amp fuse won't stop it from melting.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts