Car Audio Classifieds! banner
5K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  BassMechanic308 
#1 ·
Ok, hopefully i won't get as much hate here. This forum seams much nicer. If you live in or near the Springfield Illinois area, let me know!

I just wanted to try something different. Hopefully you guys enjoy reading this.

My car doesn't like all these builds..

Here was my last setup with my DD Z and Banda 7k. It was ugly, but loud as hell

Amps were between the seats.

Teardown:

Current gear:

Fi Btl N3's with DD composite cones & dust caps built by Tantric. Thanks Jim!

Relocated headunit to driver's side:

Five group 49 Exide AGM's floating

300 pounds of battery just chillin'

Batteries all hooked up

Got my new Ampere 125.4 in

M4a with lots of furrrrrr

Subs were mounted in infinite baffle. the baffle was two layers of .75 MDF solid, but not pretty. All surfaces were coated in Polyester resin:

View from the driver's side:

Special thanks to Jeff for the 3D printed Fi decal!!

Got some Crescendo tweets and a bunch of Sundown Neopro 8's from the yardsale :)

Hopefully getting started on door pods tomorrow

I've got 10 gallons of Polyester resin for fiberglass and a bunch of red dye for it

Took subs out and will be starting on a ported box. Not sure if I'm going to try and salvage the baffle. the box will be covered in the same kind of red shag fur I used around my m4a in the trunk.

View from the front trunk:

M4a and amp rack is out. Batteries are covered right now to prevent loose tools from grounding my + bus bar:

Subs and amp are all in my room currently

200 feet of SHCA 2/0 OFC. I will be moving my sub amp to the roof of my car (on the inside, haha) and will be doing 10 runs of + and -. It is comparable to welding wire 4/0.

Few lugs too:

See less See more
#2 ·
Dude, this is nutty. I like it. I don't think I could ever violate the interior like that, then again, interiors are so easy to come by looking in the right spot for these cars.

Reactions: adulbrich
#7 ·
My original dash is currently hanging on a hook in the garage. It wasn't in great shape anyways

Never would have thought to cut out dash to put enclosure in. Was curious where you were gonna find space for system in there. My friend had a '88 gt. Room for nothing.

Anyway, are you gonna make your own glas dash? With enclosure built in of course.
Only place left to glass is above the gauges if i do decide to do that. I may just stretch the fur across that area, because my fuse block is behind them, and i may need to access that in the future.

I am a bit confused as to what all exactly is going on but... Looks different man. Good luck. I look forward to the finished product.
Wall is in the front instead of behind where you sit. 7k (before rise) going to some custom N3's :p

This is awesome!
Thanks!

It's a mid engine car. The trunk is in the front forward of the dash, and there's a tiny little trunk in the very back of the car behind the engine.

OP: that looks crazy! One of my best friends had a MINT '86 GT in high school and I always wanted to do a bandpass install in the front but never did.
Yea, I saw some builds on Fiero forums where they did an 8" sub bandpassed with some pvc pipe into the cabin. I wanted a bit more, haha

Hopefully more progress today, and more amplifier power later on!

#3 ·
Never would have thought to cut out dash to put enclosure in. Was curious where you were gonna find space for system in there. My friend had a '88 gt. Room for nothing.

Anyway, are you gonna make your own glas dash? With enclosure built in of course.

Reactions: adulbrich
#6 ·
It's a mid engine car. The trunk is in the front forward of the dash, and there's a tiny little trunk in the very back of the car behind the engine.

OP: that looks crazy! One of my best friends had a MINT '86 GT in high school and I always wanted to do a bandpass install in the front but never did.

#9 ·
The pair cost me $1,800, so I'm kind of partial to them. I'd need to at least break even if I was going to let them go.

Not sure anyone else wants to pay that much for them. If you do, they're yours, haha.

I'd like some new DDZ's

#13 ·
Yep. He had 4, but someone else on caraudio.com bought the other two. It's a shame that Fi discontinued them

#15 ·
Haha, if I end up blowing them I'll let you know. I've gotten them stinky on the M4a after long demos and I'm planning to get a bigger amp here soon.

I'd let the motors go for $1k shipped for sure.

You've got first dibs

#19 ·
Thanks man, love your truck btw

#25 ·
I'd actually like to try Meca in the radical X class (just for fun). Meter can be wherever, as long as it's 12" away from a port. I'll find where it's the loudest through testing at a local shop where I know a guy with a meter.

I'm going to try and make it more aesthetically pleasing, but I threw it together on a tight deadline. I wanted it done by the end of the school year so I could show everyone at school. Function was a priority over form in this case.

#28 ·
Thanks! You're on there too? Mine is an 86, and I'm still in high school :)

Man you got balls. I can't wait to see it finished. To see someone go thru all that to get those subs in a fiero is cool as hell.
Thank you, hopefully I'll get some serious work done today. The ported enclosure won't be a walk in the park, haha

#29 ·
holy hell man i had not seen this build. i personally think it is ****ing awesome. Never even crossed my mind of this problem, my parents have a Porsche and they just have a little 2 8"box that goes over the back seats (they're already useless as it is). my question is, can someone still sit in the passenger seat? how about in the previous build with the z? looks really cool!

#30 ·
Yes, still plenty of room to sit in the passenger seat with both builds. Thanks!

#32 ·
Might actually go fake husky fur when my other Z gets here. I now have to make a dual 12 ported enclosure

#34 ·
Got the baffle/dash carpeted hours before I decided to switch to 12's ported. Now that's $75 worth of fabric wasted :(

#35 ·
Got the baffle all tore out:

Also got my new port :)

Inner diameter of the tube is about 11.5"

Using exactly 40" of it for the port

Box will be roughly 6 cubes. That brings tuning somewhere near 31hz

Will plot the box on winisd after I get T/S specs for the Z's, which will be a while

#36 ·
oh boy....what a port.

#37 ·
It's bigger than the cutouts for my subs are going to be, haha

#38 ·
so, where are the subs going to sit again? with a port that big i dont think you have anywhere but the passenger seat area lol.

#39 ·
They're going to be made into 12's by Tantric, so there will be room

#40 ·
So I got the other Z..

Basket was broken, but I'm getting new Ti baskets for them anyways

#42 ·
I know a guy, haha

4th platinum cone I've had. Love em'

Also, DD lowered their cone prices recently. However, they will not sell just cones. I asked them, and they refused no matter how much money you have. They only sell cones with spider, surround, and coil attached.

The tech I spoke to was appalled that I had the N3's made with composite cones. He called them an "Fi frankenwoofer" and said that he did not like DD composite cones being used on other subs

#45 ·
Yea, the tone of his voice was disgust. I personally think the N3's turned out awesome

Thanks

You should have told him you were building Z motors with non-DD softparts lol
Lol, I should have. Called about a recone price for the pair on Monday. The number he gave me was quite astounding, which is why Murphy will be building these too!

#49 ·
Goodness Gracious Great Balls Of Snow.
I like everything about this build...
I think I now know who has the craziest front stage :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.