Car Audio Classifieds! banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
me neither
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a place to buy MDF. Our lowes doesnt stock it :eek::runaround: We have two lowes in our area and neither one have it. When I go in and ask for it they look at me like im stupid. The closest they got is 3/4 particle board.

Does anyone know of a good online site to buy it from??

tim

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Where the heck do you live? Have a Home Depot? I'd rather go to HD than Lowes. Maybe it's just me but Lowe's MDF does not look as nice as HD's.

·
me neither
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A home depot is like 1- 1 1/2 hours away from me. Ive used birch before and I like it really well, but it isnt as cost effective. BTW I live in london kentucky. I just get sick of being treated like Ive asked for the cure to cancer when I go in at our hardware stores, so Im willin to order it online if I have to. lol

Tim

·
*Project 160db @44-47hz*
1,684 Posts
Or see if they have accuraply. Its some nice stuff and cheaper than mdf and has the same feel and weight of birch and strong as hell. I thinks its a 7 layer wood and we've built tons of boxes with it with no flexing issues. Im actually using it double layered on my baffle and it works just fine.

·
me neither
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MY experience with birch is quite good. Didnt split at all on me. Im just not crazy bout the price of it.

The lowes in town doesnt EVEN carry it, the explanation I got when I asked why they didnt sell it is because they are 15% smaller than some of the other stores and dont have room for it.

We got one other place that may have it. I just dont want to use particleboard again.

Tim

·
Registered
589 Posts
Or see if they have accuraply. Its some nice stuff and cheaper than mdf and has the same feel and weight of birch and strong as hell. I thinks its a 7 layer wood and we've built tons of boxes with it with no flexing issues. Im actually using it double layered on my baffle and it works just fine.
Did you mean Arauco ply from Lowe's? That's what I used for my box. It was pretty cheap and I was happy with the quality and outcome of the box.

·
NOT LOUDER THAN YOU :(
7,335 Posts
Did you mean Arauco ply from Lowe's? That's what I used for my box. It was pretty cheap and I was happy with the quality and outcome of the box.
im gunna have to check this out for the gfs box. is it lighter than mdf?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Call local construction company or home improvement company .. they will eather sell it to u or tell you where to get it..

·
Registered
589 Posts
im gunna have to check this out for the gfs box. is it lighter than mdf?
Yeah, it's lighter. I think a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" was like $35. It's 7 ply. I don't have a ton of experience with different woods and mdf, but it worked fine for my purposes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts